John arne riise left back or left wing - Wat postion is he best at

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Hamza » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:33 pm

Hey guys

I just wanted to hear your views to see what postion u think he is best at I reckon that left wing would be best beacuse he has a bullet left foot and a is a great crosser of the ball and he cant  do that as well at left back and we could have harry in the middle with stevie and carragher at left back
Hamza

Postby taff » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:38 pm

Id prefer him at left back and get him linking up with Kewell and hopefully get the same on the right side of the team as well.  What LFC needs is more attacking options as per Arsenal/manure.  Ill never forget the charity shield against Arasenal where it looked like our right and left backs were told that crossing the halfway line was illegal!!
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hamza » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:45 pm

I get what your saying linkin him with Kewell but Harry and Riise dont  defend enough I remeber in 2003/2004 wen we played leeds pennant gave him the runabout I reckon so would anyone with alot of pace but i think he do need a new full back i dont like finnan with riise on the left harry could be the playmaker in the centre we need
Hamza

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:54 pm

as long as he starts reproducing this sort of form i couldn't care where he plays. just click on the video clips link.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/riise/
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:19 pm

Riise is one of those players that I quite fancy Rafa will get the best out of at left back next season, Kewell is another and I can see them both def playing down the left. Am I going over the top by including Diouf in that list, Im not 100% that RB was in chage of Valencia at the time but they were the only team battling it out with us for his siganture. What happened to the Valencia dude on this forum he was gonna give us some insight into Rafa but he seems to have dissapered. Could have been handy and perhaps even answered some of our theories.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:34 pm

I see what you mean Hamza but increasing the strength of our attack is the way forward.

Diouf could be a new man under Benitez and if so great news but were in a position that if he comes good and sets the premiership alight it will be like a new signing as I reckon most people are resigned to seeing him go
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hamza » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:24 pm

I get what your daying but you can t but Riise in the same Picture as diouf the thing with Diouf is that he just dosnt look comited to the club and he dos nt do anything he can t shoot to save his life every now and again he can cross but the Sad thing is Sami Hypia scored 7 goals last season which is more than diouf has scored in his lfc carraer and he is a right wing/ forward and if he wants to be good he needs to find a postion
Hamza

Postby taff » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:33 pm

I am split as its a huge waste of money so would you persevere with him or cut your losses now and not include him in any plans for the future.

Oops the Riise thread is turning into a Diouf one :p
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hamza » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:48 pm

ur right but diouf really is awfull but back to Riise we seem to think that he nad Harry woulld do well on the left side but we need a playmaker either on the right or in the centre who could that be ?????

I reckon Biscan can do it ?????
Hamza

Postby kindaconfuzed » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:34 pm

Is this a serious question? OK then move Riise to left wing and Kewell to left back, doesn't seem to work somehow does it :Oo:
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby addicted norwegian » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:34 pm

Riise has played right winger on some occations when pitching for Norway internationals, but that has been in a 4-5-1 formation. In this formation it works out because of his consistency, allowing him to run up and down the side-line through the whole 90 minutes. His ability to take on the defender is a bit limited; When he can use a "kick and run- method" he can take on almost anyone, but he hasn`t got the technical skills needed for challenge the back when standing still (like Kewell has on his day). I think we`re better off using him as left back, allowing him to take part in the offencive game by over-laping Kewell
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:08 pm

Been outstanding this season, and kept SWP in his back pocket against the crappy mancs.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:49 pm

Riise is an enigma, has looked good at left back, raiding down the wing etc.
However, The Arsenal winger on loan to Leeds (Jermaine Pennant, I think) gave him a right roasting last season at Anfield, turned him inside out and left him for pace. But I hear that Riise put the leg irons on Wright-Phillips over the weekend.  I don't know the jury is still out !!  :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:07 am

REdrider

yer should know better than to base yer judgement on one game. I think Riise is the man and when you link his defending skills with his attacking skills then he can be formadble (big word for me and not sure how its spelt)
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:59 am

Redrider wrote:However, The Arsenal winger on loan to Leeds (Jermaine Pennant, I think) gave him a right roasting last season at Anfield.

no that happened after the newcastle game.  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge