Pongolle

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby who the hell is diarra » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:21 am

Everone is entitled to an opinion, but sayin Pongolle is a new Heskey is hardly senaible Dav  :D :p
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:30 am

I hope the guy proves me wrong,
I'm not judging him just on the spurs game but his perfomances last season.
Last season he won us pen's, but still seems to spend alot of time falling around, in and around the box
In my opinion he has the pace he may one day have the skill but untill he understands Ref's in the premiership don't stand 4 players diving all the time. They get a Reputation which can cost a team dearly. As when the player does get fouled the ref just thinks (he's always diving around so no free kick)

Yeah i was wrong to compare him with heskey as this guy may one day have ability
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:40 am

People are too quick to judge our players. Last week people were slagging off baros. The fact is until we get another striker in we cannot afford to let pongolle go as that would leave us with only two recognised strikers. Even then, we need four strikers. From what i've seen of the lad so far, which isn't a great deal he has looked useful.

Strengths: Lovely control and blistering pace. Not a diver, he won several penalties and was also wrongly denied several more.

Weaknesses: Small and slight. His finishing hasn't matched his approach play.

Verdict: Has time on his side and remains a wonderful prospect; it is crazy that some people are judging him and Le Tallec so harshly. I can suggest he is probably coming to terms with the improved quality in goalkeepers he is facing after graduating from youth team football - seems to hit his shots too close to the keepers, which at a lower level of football will be enough to score hatfuls. To beat keepers like Niemi, Cudicini et al you need to find the corners or, fluke aside, you stand no chance. Hasn't had a run in the side to feel confident, nor will sporadic appearances have helped him fully come to terms with the pace and brutality of the Premiership. Despite all that, like Le Tallec he still featured more than expected, and both are huge talents we can hope to enjoy for years to come.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby DAV » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:46 am

when all of us watch liverpool play
all any of us do is judge
by that i mean
the manager,the players,the formation the subs, the goals the misses the score.
And all i'm saying is the guy spends 2 much time on the floor
and i think he got what he deserved @ spurs after watching it on slow motion replay on sunday morning.
I'm a true red but not blind
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:00 pm

While im not even gonna start comparing him with Henry if you look at his early days in Monacco and Juve he struggled for goals, look at him now. A player can learn to sharpen his finishing I really think he has got a bright future hopefully at Liverpool. :;):
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion