Hansen - Good read

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:42 am

The Bench wrote:As a comparison for the fans who never seen him, imagine a player like xabi alonso (intelligence and passing ability),  playing centre half as well as carra(reading the game, commitment) at the same time.

I think the best comparison is Dan Agger. Agger plays and reminds me so much of Alan Hansen. And the comparisons don't end there. On many occasions I've said Danny Agger is the best centre half in the world, the same statement I've used about Hansen. Hansen is the best ever centre half I've seen and for Agger to be compared to that, is some achievement IMO.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby The Bench » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:54 am

Gbjh, Fair point on Agger, I rate the lad too. My point was there for the lads who never seen jockey and I think that sums hansen up. Unfortunately the lads that never saw him never will, and while I'm obviously trying to lay down more legend status for the scot, Agger is the next best thing.

YNWA
The Bench

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:02 pm

The Bench wrote:Gbjh, Fair point on Agger, I rate the lad too. My point was there for the lads who never seen jockey and I think that sums hansen up. Unfortunately the lads that never saw him never will, and while I'm obviously trying to lay down more legend status for the scot, Agger is the next best thing.

YNWA

I think Hansen is uncompareable and for the folks who haven't had the pleasure of seeing him live in action, I have to feel for. I suppose they have been brought up with the stories of him and Lawro at the back, with Gary Gillespie coming in now and then (and scoring a hat trick once). But I never thought I'd see a better centre half than Emlyn Hughes (RIP Crazy Horse) but Hansen suppassed Hughes' quality. Carra has also went on and became the 2nd best centre half in the history of LFC and no matter how good Carra is, I don't see him being better than Hansen.

Me old fella will tell me differently and say nobody was better than Ron Yeats.

Me young lad will tell me there's been nobody better than Babb  :rasp
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Fergie sensationally omitted Hansen from the Scotland squad for Mexico '86 in favour of those two "legends" Miller and his side kick McLeish.  A few days later Dalglish pulled out of the squad with a mysterious knee injury.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:05 pm

And people wondered why Scotland went out in 86. We won the double in 86, Hansen on the top of the game and Fergie drops him, what a pr!ck
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:34 am

i wont even try and compare any defender with hansen as there was and is nobody to match him, and his partnership with lawrenson was special.

i never used to worry when a forward broke away as more often than not either hansen or lawrenson would get a tackle in, reading his autobiography you can see hansen wasn't sure about his ability and describes his homesickness, but he was class, absolute class
112-1077774096

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:43 am

A bit unfair on Agger to have expectations of being a new Hansen.

Alan was getting on a bit when I started watching football in mid 1980s but still absolute class as was Lawro beside him. As good as Hypia was there was no comparison on the ball.

Put it this way, Hansen was as good as Rio Ferdinand thinks he is (i.e. 10 times better than he actually is).

Was PHil Babb better? yes - Hansen never crushed his nuts into a post for the cause!!!!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Hansen was at his absoloute best 1984. Hadn't seen him play any better before that. 3 trophies in that 84 season, Hansen at his best, Lawro beside him and Brucie in goal. Happy days.
god_bless_john_houlding

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion