Bent to complete spurs switch - No great loss imho

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:54 pm

BENT TO COMPLETE SPURS SWITCH - REPORT
Posted 22/06/07 12:59

Darren Bent is reportedly expected to complete a £16 million move to Spurs in the next week.

Charlton had been holding out for the £17 million price agreed with West Ham for the striker earlier in June, before Bent pulled out of the deal.

However, the Guardian reports that the Addicks have agreed a fee of £15 million, with another £1 million in 'success related payments' for the England striker.

However, the deal could be scuppered if Liverpool's chase for Atletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres fails, as Rafael Benitez has lined up Bent as an alternative target.

The Guardian also speculates that doubts over the future of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins could lead to a bid from Newcastle, while Thaksin Shinawatra's takeover of Manchester City will inevitably lead them to be linked with the striker.

The move is likely to cast doubt over Jermain Defoe's future at White Hart Lane, with Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov currently established as the top two strikers at the club.

Bent is a more versatile option for Spurs boss Martin Jol, who is currently hamstrung by Defoe and Keane's apparent inability to play alongside each other.

Bent provides a more physical option, and has often played as a lone-striker in his time at Charlton.

If Bent does sign for Jol's side, he will be on a contract considerably less than the £75,000 he was reportedly offered at West Ham.

Spurs have a rigid wage structure in place, with Robbie Keane believed to be the club's top-earner on £50,000.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:53 pm

Looks like Berbatov is going to Man U then :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Reg wrote:BENT TO COMPLETE SPURS SWITCH - REPORT
Posted 22/06/07 12:59

Darren Bent is reportedly expected to complete a £16 million move to Spurs in the next week.

Charlton had been holding out for the £17 million price agreed with West Ham for the striker earlier in June, before Bent pulled out of the deal.

However, the Guardian reports that the Addicks have agreed a fee of £15 million, with another £1 million in 'success related payments' for the England striker.

However, the deal could be scuppered if Liverpool's chase for Atletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres fails, as Rafael Benitez has lined up Bent as an alternative target.

The Guardian also speculates that doubts over the future of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins could lead to a bid from Newcastle, while Thaksin Shinawatra's takeover of Manchester City will inevitably lead them to be linked with the striker.

The move is likely to cast doubt over Jermain Defoe's future at White Hart Lane, with Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov currently established as the top two strikers at the club.

Bent is a more versatile option for Spurs boss Martin Jol, who is currently hamstrung by Defoe and Keane's apparent inability to play alongside each other.

Bent provides a more physical option, and has often played as a lone-striker in his time at Charlton.

If Bent does sign for Jol's side, he will be on a contract considerably less than the £75,000 he was reportedly offered at West Ham.

Spurs have a rigid wage structure in place, with Robbie Keane believed to be the club's top-earner on £50,000.

I'm pretty sure I read in one of the recent Echo pieces regarding Torres that we never truly had a strong interest in Bent...merely that we had made a very preliminary inquiry a while back.  I think that's right and I doubt that Rafa would consider moving for Bent for even half the money that Spurs are now reported to be offering.  He'll do well at Tottenham, I think, but I don't think he suits our needs at all.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby shanks » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:15 pm

spurs can have him i didnt rate him i always thought he was 2rd rate its quality we need  :;):
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:43 am

Thank god for that he's signed for Spurs, madness 16 and a half million pounds when you see what Henry was sold for  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:10 am

16.5 million for bent (when they already have defoe whos better, berbatov whos better and keane whos...better!!!)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:14 am

well, u know spurs...they'll always gonna buy somebody they didn't need.....
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 am

as long as their english and young they'll sign them for whatever money.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:24 am

thank fack for that, al leat we know bent isnt coming here,i have never rated him plus he would never of fitted into our style of play,torres is signed.Now for tevez,the asking price is supposedly 30m, but i reckon we could get him for 20m with appearances and that added on.
roberto green

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:50 am

with Bent signing for Spurs we are now rumoured to be in for Defoe??  I don't get it?  Is it just more cr@p being spouted by every media company?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:with Bent signing for Spurs we are now rumoured to be in for Defoe??  I don't get it?  Is it just more cr@p being spouted by every media company?

In a word, yes.  While Defoe may indeed move on I don't think we're necessarily interested in him so this sounds like empty paper talk to me.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:59 pm

We cost Spurs an extra 5 million to buy Bent by being linked to him so talk of LFC being interested in Defoe will cost Newcastle or anyone else who´s realistically wanting to buy him an extra 5 as well. Also to recuperate the wasted 5 on Bent.

Note: they prefered to pay 16.5 for Bent than 11 for Owen.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:53 pm

I hear that James Mcfadden is now on the verge of a move to Spurs.

He heard that the strike force is Bent and Keane.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby barnesrush » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:42 pm

:D :D   ha ha should fit right in then!
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Return to The Rumour Mill