Spurs stewards honoured for bravery

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:19 pm

sorry if nobody is interested in this but i thought it was worth mentioning, stewards i suppose are always forgotten about, when i used to work the liverpool and everton games when i was in the police their work went pretty unnoticed, but i am sure if they were not there they would have been missed

With memories of the disgraceful treatment of Tottenham Hotspur fans at the hands of the Seville riot police still fresh in the minds of all connected with the london club, it's been announced that 22 of the club's stewards are to be awarded an honour for bravery by London's Metropolitan Police.

The stewards were part of an official exercise by Tottenham on the night of the first leg of their UEFA Cup clash with Sevilla in Spain and were tasked with maintaining order on the terraces amongst the travelling Spurs fans. What they couldn't have expected was an unprovoked attack by heavily armoured riot police and yet when the time for action came the Spurs stewards did what came naturally to them - they stepped into the middle of the two factions and tried to restore order.

The Metropolitan Police commendation is rarely given to civilians and has never before been awarded to a group of football stewards but the reasons why are explained perfectly by Police superintendent Simon O'Brien:

"I witnessed what I can only describe as selfless, brave conduct from the Spurs stewards.

They consistently acted as go-betweens in an escalating confrontation, I saw them physically protecting fans and being injured themselves. I never saw them flinch in a lengthy violent confrontation - they were a fluorescent protective cushion in the middle of a melee.

I have no doubt that but for the presence of Spurs stewards we could have experienced far more violence that night."

There had been no trouble on the day between the two opposing sets of fans who had mingled together in a spirit of footballing friendship in Seville before the game and, in fact, many Sevilla fans helped rescue Spurs fans on the terraces from vicious, unprovoked attacks from the batons and boots of the Seville police. Tottenham Hotspur have raised their own concerns to UEFA and to the British government over the treatment of their fans and Tottenham press officer Philip Dorward added:

"UEFA should take notice of this commendation for the way English clubs help police their fans in Europe. The situation could have been far far worse and UEFA should be aware of the steps we take to prevent trouble."
112-1077774096

Return to Premiership - General Discussion