Gudjohnson - Gone to spurs

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 pm

i know this may get moved to another section like but this is one thats p!ssed me off.

Why wouldnt we try and get him given our current lack of options ?

We better not go out and get a right back because that would be ridiculous.

FROM THE BEEB

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says the club have signed former Chelsea and Barcelona forward Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan until the end of the season.

The 31-year-old, who was also attracting interest from London rivals West Ham, comes to White Hart Lane from French outfit Monaco.

Redknapp told BBC Radio Jersey: "The chairman has probably done a deal for Eidur. We spoke to him the other day.

"We've taken him on loan until the end of the season to see how it goes."

West Ham had been confident of arranging a temporary deal to bring in the Icelander after he underwent a medical at the club.

But Spurs have convinced him to opt for north rather than east London after further talks on Wednesday and a medical.

The deal for Gudjohnsen, who only joined Monaco last summer, will be a bitter pill to swallow for new Hammers co-owner David Sullivan, who had reacted angrily to news of Spurs' interest.

"We thought we had a deal and the player had even had a medical," he said. "We then heard that Tottenham were trying to speak to the player.

"I can't say I am happy about it but I believe in karma and what goes around, comes around."

Sullivan is prioritising strikers as he looks to boost the Hammers squad amid their battle against relegation, with Benni McCarthy poised to sign from Blackburn for £2.5m and Manchester City striker Benjani Mwaruwari also on their radar.

606: DEBATE
Can Gudjohnsen still cut it in the Premier League? 
For Tottenham, meanwhile, Gudjohnsen will provide cover for a number of positions as they look to push for a top-four finish.

They already have four strikers in Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch, Robbie Keane and Roman Pavlyuchenko at the club, though the latter's position is far from settled as the Russian looks to negotiate a move away from White Hart Lane.

However, Gudjohnsen's arrival will not necessarily mean one of the quartet will be leaving.

It is thought he is more likely to be used as an experienced replacement for Giovani dos Santos, the Mexican playmaker who joined Galatasaray on loan until the end of the season on Wednesday.

Gudjohnsen twice won the Premier League title with Chelsea, in 2005 and 2006, and helped Barcelona to quadruple glory in 2009.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Fauxy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:34 pm

I read somewere that said Rafa offered to match whatever West Ham offered him but he turned us down to join tottenham.
Fauxy

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Fauxy wrote:I read somewere that said Rafa offered to match whatever West Ham offered him but he turned us down to join tottenham.

Where ?

If thats the case is he weird ?
They already have Defoe, Crouch Keane and Pavlyuchenco.
We have a permanently injured Torres, Kuyt and Ngog.

Where would he more than likely get a game ?
Ben Patrick

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Rafa's fault , poor man management that.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm

exactly .i agree with Ben here. complain all you want about lack of funds but when you allow such deals o go through uncontested, its really sad and shows lack of acumen by the manager. the Krancjar one was a real steal at 2million! :angry:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Dinger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Pavlyuchenco will be on his way out now, hope we don't go for him.
Dinger

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Rafa's fault , poor man management that.

Seriously mate, why arent we looking at things like this ?

I dont believe he would join spurs ahead of us with the striking options Harry already has.
Ben Patrick

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:42 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:exactly .i agree with Ben here. complain all you want about lack of funds but when you allow such deals o go through uncontested, its really sad and shows lack of acumen by the manager. the Krancjar one was a real steal at 2million! :angry:

Bollox , how do you know what's going on behind the scenes , do you have the managers ear . Did he say to you "he's cack that gudjohnson ,i'm not gonna try and sign him " How do you know all this stuff ,prey tell . Is steve mcmahon telling you?
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:

I dont believe he would join spurs ahead of us with the striking options Harry already has.

How do you know we aren't ?
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:

How do you know we aren't ?

I dont know.

But we are being linked with full backs and meanwhile a proven premiership striker has just moved on loan to a rival for our top 4 position.
Like i said surely he would come here if it was a choice ?
Ben Patrick

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:44 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:exactly .i agree with Ben here. complain all you want about lack of funds but when you allow such deals o go through uncontested, its really sad and shows lack of acumen by the manager. the Krancjar one was a real steal at 2million! :angry:

Will you just stop talking balls for once. Seriously. Stop it!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:45 pm

how do you know we were?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

Will you just stop talking balls for once. Seriously. Stop it!

I dont get what he said that was wrong, krancjar did go for what we paid for the greek didnt he ?
Ben Patrick

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:50 pm

We don't know, but I'd like to think we could have got one of them if we really put the effort in.
LFC2007

Postby Fauxy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Fauxy wrote:I read somewere that said Rafa offered to match whatever West Ham offered him but he turned us down to join tottenham.

Where ?

If thats the case is he weird ?
They already have Defoe, Crouch Keane and Pavlyuchenco.
We have a permanently injured Torres, Kuyt and Ngog.

Where would he more than likely get a game ?

West Ham were poised to solve their striker crisis last night by signing Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan from Monaco.

The 31-year-old Icelandic marksman has snubbed an 11th hour move by Liver­pool and is expected to fly into England tonight to seal the four month loan deal.

The Merseyside giants tried to hijack Gudjohnsen's move by matching his personal terms that were thrashed out with the Hammers late on Friday.

But the ex- Barcelona and Chelsea star was keen to link up with Gianfranco Zola and Steve Clarke, his old friends at Stamford Bridge.

The Hammer's had made a £2million bid for Blackburn's Benni McCarthy, but pulled out of the deal on Thursday when Rovers said they would not entertain a bid until they had found a replacement.

Link
Fauxy

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion