Scouser boycotts the s*n

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Wed May 16, 2007 9:46 pm

didnt see this anywhere else, from today's irish independent, might please and interest a few.

Scouser Cook gives Sun red card as he plots Sligo revival

FOOTBALL managers seldom take long to fall out with journalists but few make a point of refusing to speak to a newspaper before they even take the job.

New Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook must have set some sort of record when he refused to do any interviews with The Irish Sun before it had even written about him.

The 40-year-old Scouser insists it is nothing personal against the journalists in question, but a matter of principle. As a died-in-the-wool Liverpool supporter, Cook simply can't contemplate co-operating with any arm of The Sun.

Most Liverpool fans would not even eat their chips from The Sun due to its coverage of the Hillsborough tragedy in 1989 and Cook will not be deviating from that principle.

"I've been a Liverpool fan all my life and have watched them play many times over the years," he explained. "I knew people who died at Hillsborough and the comments that newspaper made at the time of the tragedy makes it impossible for me to have anything to do with it.

"I'm not trying to be a smart- :censored: and it is nothing personal with the people who write for the paper in Ireland now, but in my life I'll always side with Liverpool fans."

Search

Cook was a surprise appointment to the Sligo hotseat after the club's protracted search to find a successor to Rob McDonald, who departed the Showgrounds on the eve of the opening game of the season.

His only managerial stint so far would not offer an enormous endorsement of his qualities as he was sacked by English Conference side Southport earlier this season.

"I've no issue with the fact that I was sacked due to the results we had, but I do have an issue with the things I was promised when I took the job that failed to materialise," he said.

"In hindsight taking the Southport job was the worst decision I've made in football.

"I had been player-coach for three years at Accrington Stanley and that culminated with us winning the Conference and earning our League place last year.

"The manager there gave me the freedom to do things as I saw fit there and we had a successful time. However, I'm a great believer that if you want to be a manager then you have to go out on your own eventually and that's why I went to Southport when the opportunity was presented to me."

Excited

Cook has not taken long to make his mark at the Showgrounds, with an emphatic 4-1 home win over Cork City last Saturday providing the Bit O'Red fans with plenty to get excited about.

After a playing career spanning more than 700 top-class matches, Cook has been around the block long enough not to get carried away by one good result.

"I may be new to Irish football and I know that Cork are one of the best teams here but I know enough about the game to know that we caught them on a good day for us and a bad one for them," he said.

"I've seen Cork, Bohemians, Longford, Shamrock Rovers and St Patrick's Athletic in the three weeks I've been in the job so I'm starting to find out more about the standard.

"Having played in all four divisions in England, as well as non-league football, I'm still working out what level the game here is at.

"I've been impressed with many things I've seen since I came to Sligo and I think it's a lovely part of the world to be in.

"I've signed for two and a half years and I want to produce a team that is competitive.

"If we're producing positive results, then people will come through the turnstiles.

"Hard work is the first requirement. You may not be the most talented player in the world but, if you are prepared to work for your team, you can be an asset. That's what I want my team to be about."

Fu.cking belter that.

Made up he's done that.

:buttrock
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aaron » Wed May 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Yep indeed. He just recently took over Sligo Rovers and the first thing he done was boycott the S*n. Fair play to him!!
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby Dundalk » Wed May 16, 2007 10:34 pm

Yeah fair play to him. You need to take a stand on these things!

Lawrie Sanchez used to manage Sligo Rovers.

BTW DCFC this time next week you are going to need another 2 stars for your avatar  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed May 16, 2007 10:47 pm

A few other football personnel would do well to take a leaf out of Paul Cook's book and give the hacks what they deserve, namely nothing !

Only this week we have seen what happens when the vermin in the media get their facts wrong and people get hurt and put at risk by their sensationalist comments. I'm referring to the search for this poor girl and their naming of a guy who is helping the search and because some half wit in the press thinks he is just too eager to help insinuates he is the perportrator !

Newspapers are just media slut.s eager to sell their story however untrue it may be.

Well done Paul Cook, Liverpool fans and decent people everywhere salute you ........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed May 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Good lad that.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:39 am

Yeah, read that in the paper last nite....was dead impressed.....I wish him well in his new role. He had a pretty good result in his first game and all - must be the LFC influence...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:38 am

I know Cooky.  He used to be the landlord of one of my old local drinking haunts.
jonnymac1979

Postby Sabre » Thu May 17, 2007 9:43 am

Good read that RAfa-Dodd.

A man with principles. Well done.

Hope he's lucky in Ireland.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aaron » Thu May 17, 2007 6:45 pm

Sabre wrote:Good read that RAfa-Dodd.

A man with principles. Well done.

Hope he's lucky in Ireland.

I hope he's not too lucky :D  :D
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby redhayesy » Thu May 17, 2007 9:19 pm

fecking top man!! how impressive is that! like he said it"s all about principles & go to hell if they don"t like it.
i don"t know the guy but good luck to him, if i ever have the pleasure to meet him i would
shake his hand & share my experience of hillsborough with him. i respect him totally for what
he has done,best wishes for the future paul.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Naomi » Fri May 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Paul Cook should be admired, very few others would take such a stand as he has done, good lad!
You can buy all the quality you like, but without desire, passion and the insatiable will to win, it’s nothing.
Naomi

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion