Yawn - Barca eye momo

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:35 am

I'm bored, hense the title of this thread. Peewee and mods I've decided to put this into the rumour thread as its a rumour  :D  Nothing more really.

Reports in the Catalan press claim that Barcelona have included Liverpool's Mohamed Sissoko on a four-man shortlist as they look to strengthen their midfield.

According to Catalan daily Sport, Los Cules are keen to recruit a ball-winning midfielder in the Edgar Davids mould in time for next season.

Sporting director Txiki Begiristain has been charged with the task of bolstering Barca's options, and Sissoko, along with Valencia's David Albelda, Atletico Madrid's Peter Luccin and Yaya Toure of Monaco have all reportedly fallen under his gaze.

The dethroned European Champions appear to have little chance of coaxing Xabi Alonso from Anfield and could now try and bring Sissoko back to Spain where he previously enjoyed a spell with Valencia.

The Mali international performed superbly across both legs as The Reds knocked Barca out of the UEFA Champions League and his strong displays appear not to have gone unnoticed.

However Begiristain was reluctant to comment on specific names when quizzed on his recruitment plans.

"We are working for the next campaign but we will never talk about names in advance," Begiristain told Sport.

"It is logical because the speculation transmits to the press."

That was from Sky sports, I doubt he'll leave and I hope not. Competition is rife in the central midfiled position these days at Anfield. Although Momo in terms of ball ability isnt the best and has been quite poor with his distribution lately that shouldnt by no means, mean we should offload him. I dont think Rafa would anyway, because he's the best ball hunter at the club and has endless supply of energy. He IMO is a very valuable squad member, and Barca can carry on dreaming about him and Alonso.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 am

Gee i dunno Bamaga man,

I like momo, and i am keen to see what he can become in a red shirt, but...

- we have a plethora of quality in the centre. How much would hurt to lose him if the price is right? If this was a small club sniffing around, i would say bu.gger off, but Real have moolah.

- what if the momo knockers are right, and this is as good as he gets? if so his value in the transfer market will wane in the next couple of seasons.

Sorry i realise this is just a rumour, but maybe if we give sell them momo, they'll gerrard & rafa alone. :p

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:59 am

I see what your saying Babu, but I wouldnt sell him he's still to valuable to the squad. Dont get me wrong I think their are players who could be sold on but I think in Momo we'd be selling ourselves short.

Pennant, Zenden, Carrson or Dudek, and Fowler (as he's not being used anyway). Would go before Momo, granted you probably wouldnt get the cash from either one of them as you would from Sissoko, but surely that alone is telling you something. We're not a selling club, and Momo is one of our more solid performers on his day.

If anyone isnt wondering why I didnt say Gonzalez in that list above.  Well although the kid hasnt impressed me atall, I think it would be almost ignorant of us not to give him the time to settle. Personally it doesnt look as if he will but he still should be given the chance, especially if we cleared out some dead wood anyway.
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Will never EVER happen. Barcelona don't have the patience to let Sissoko mature and develop his passing and technique.

If we can Eto'o or Messi in exchange I'd sell though :oops:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Eto'o AND Messi
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:24 pm

Plus a few million on top!

He is going nowhere and remains a very valuable member of the team. It would take a lot of Euros for Rafa to part with him.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 am

I aint really a fan of momo. Sometimes he can put in a good performance but he lacks shooting ability, pace, His passes are atrocious.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Return to The Rumour Mill