Reading away

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu.Murph » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:53 am

Bad Bob wrote:A great result without being a great performance.  The move for the first goal was fantastic and full marks to Arbeloa for a very composed finish.  We were dangerous on the counter throughout the first half and I was sure we'd add to our tally either in the first half or early in the 2nd.  Unfortunately, they scored (a cracking strike too) and that upset the apple cart a bit.  Full credit to Reading for getting after us and having a proper go.

Not to be too negative after a victory, but the problem areas were a bit brighter today.  First, Sissoko continued in his recent mode of giving away possession far too cheaply and giving away free kicks in potentially troublesome areas.  I don't think Mascherano benefitted from playing next to Momo today and I'm sure Gerrard didn't either.  Easily our fourth-choice CM on current form (take that St. Mike! :p ).

Second, Gonzales was poor once again.  His knock it long and run technique has been found out and he's too easily marked out of games like this.  Plus, his end product is hit-or-miss (how many of his crosses got anywhere near a red shirt today).  I can understand giving him a run out today but Riise could have come on much earlier for me.

Finally, what was Rafa thinking with those substitutions?  They couldn't deal with Bellamy's pace and were there for the taking on the counter-attack so why take him off for Kuyt?  Then, he takes Crouch off when we need a goal?  Bringing Pennant on was the right choice but surely Momo should have given way, with Gerrard dropping into CM?  And, if Robbie can't even make the bench for this game there's something significantly wrong with Rafa's notion of rotation.  I was just baffled by Rafa's decisions today.

Nonetheless, job done and another 3 points in a tricky match.  On the plus side, Pennant was very positive and put in several dangerous balls including the match-winner (credit to Kuyt for the composed finish).  I agree with St. Mike that he deserves to start these types of games based on recent form.  Let's hope he starts against PSV.  In addition, Mascherano got more match experience, Sami got a game, Carra and Finnan were their usual assured selves and Arbeloa acquitted himself well at LB too (despite one mistake early on, when he got sucked too far into the middle, gifting Reading a chance).  I think we'll need to up our game against Man City next weekend, though.

Good post, to tired to comment on it, but agree with the jist of it.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:16 am

Haven't had a chance to see anything more than the motd highlights as have been catching up on the Arsenal game (lfc.tv highlights) instead. Good tosee Kuyt get a goal as it's been a while plus he's rarely scored in away games this season (i can't recall many if any others?) and i agree that Pennant deserves some more game time after coming up with another assist. He seems to be gradually playing himself into some form and he must have 6/7 assists in total now this season.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:17 am

Bammo wrote:i've doubted kuyt's ability to play as the lone striker but thankfully he was getting in the box

I think he is very capable of playing as a lone striker.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:21 am

Scottbot wrote:Haven't had a chance to see anything more than the motd highlights as have been catching up on the Arsenal game (lfc.tv highlights) instead. Good tosee Kuyt get a goal as it's been a while plus he's rarely scored in away games this season (i can't recall many if any others?) and i agree that Pennant deserves some more game time after coming up with another assist. He seems to be gradually playing himself into some form and he must have 6/7 assists in total now this season.

8 Assists.

Kuyt scored away at Wigan. :D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:26 am

Stu.Murph wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Haven't had a chance to see anything more than the motd highlights as have been catching up on the Arsenal game (lfc.tv highlights) instead. Good tosee Kuyt get a goal as it's been a while plus he's rarely scored in away games this season (i can't recall many if any others?) and i agree that Pennant deserves some more game time after coming up with another assist. He seems to be gradually playing himself into some form and he must have 6/7 assists in total now this season.

8 Assists.

Kuyt scored away at Wigan. :D

Don't you just hate a Stato :p
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:34 am

Jealousy gets you nowhere in life... :cool:

:D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Smeg » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:17 am

That Pennant is a :censored: waster, get rid Rafa!

Gonzalez is a future LFC captain.
Smeg

Postby stoney » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:37 am

Smeg wrote:That Pennant is a :censored: waster, get rid Rafa!

hello stu's bumchum  :p
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Smeg » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:27 pm

stoney wrote:
Smeg wrote:That Pennant is a :censored: waster, get rid Rafa!

hello stu's bumchum  :p

ooo hello !!!

Smeg in agreement with the infidel shocker!
:laugh:
Smeg

Postby premiership fan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:58 pm

MOTD Highlights are online
http://redsgoals.blogspot.com/
premiership fan

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:04 am

That was a great result for us on Saturday even if the performance wasnt. I think I said in this thread ? That Reading would give us a much tougher game than Arsenal or PSV did, I was right :cool: .

I would just like to say that Reading and Steve Coppell have had an absolutely brilliant season and in all honesty they were unlucky to loose to us I thought. They were quicker, hungrier and more determined than us over the 90  mins, and played " up em & at em football" which at times we didnt really cope with.

The game started pretty much as expected high tempo an all, but a lovely move that was started by Arbeloa was ended with a fantastic finnish from him that even Robbie Fowler would of been proud of. For the rest of the half we seemed happy to sit back and play on the counter, I was content with the first half. Luckily for us we we're able to sit back as Reading seemed to of lack the real quality in the final third to make us pay.

The second half started and I could of sworn we were still in the changing room when Reading scored, Finnan possibly played their forward line onside, Arbeloa was turned inside the box and from an acute angle their fullback (I think) beat Reina with a cracking shot that really he had no right too, not from that angle anyway. Finnan, Arbeloa and Reina take your pick it doesnt matter now, but at the time and shortly after I was fuming we were all over the shop. Shortly afterwards Crouch almost scored a lovely Og and we were at 6's & 7's.

All this wasnt helping by the fact that Momo seems hell bent on trying to find a pass to a player with a blue and white shirt on. He was diabolical to put it politely Grobberlaar was accused of less obvious bungs :laugh:
Mascha didnt have his best game either but I couldnt help but think to myself, that when we needed a goal we didnt look like scoring when it was needed. There is nothing in central midfield that reasures you that a goal or pass in Momo's case could be conjured up. So I ended up looking to both our wide players, Gerrard and Gonzalez. Gerrard didnt have a great game, and especially in the first half offered no cover for Finnan whatso ever. He wasnt offering us too much, Gonzalez though who hasnt set the world alight did have a decent game. He did find himself in space on a few occasions and as he does beat a man by pace, and would every now and again whip in a decent cross. He was able to stay on his feet more today and prepare to battle it out using what upper body strength he has. I have been a slight critic of him, but he did give 100% and on the odd occasion produced something of note. Crouch and Bellamy were finding it hard to get into the game, Crouch especially. But by the time Bellamy was hauled off, I was screaming at Rafa through the monitor " What the f.uck ?" I didnt honestly believe when I saw Kuyt coming on that he would do anything more than what Bellamy had, for five minutes I was convinced aswell because at one stage Kuyt was in our right back position helping out Finnan and Mascha. The ball was knocked long, to Crouch who as normal when he plays with Kuyt found himself up against two or three defenders alone. What good is Kut back there I thought, well I still do :D
Crouch went off which also didnt get my approval two strikers off,one on :(  WTF, but at least Pennat did give us the natural width, balance and outlet the team needed. Kuyt came close shortly after coming on, and I immediately thought of the thread I had started about him. I was believe it or not hoping he'd prove me wrong.

Eventually when we finally woke up in the second half and were able to string a few passes together, (that would of been around the 80th minute) Kuyt proved me wrong in the 84th and happily so. I'll be honest I couldnt see us getting a goal, if anything I thought Reading would of popped up and robbed us, and IMO it would of been deservedly so.But Pennants lovely floated chip in found Kuyt's head to nod it home for number two.

One thing I will say the three main players I have critised mostly of late have been Gonzalez, Pennant and Kuyt. All three did well today, Gonzalez still can kick on though so to Pennant, but credits where its due they did well and the two subs conjured up our winner.

Gerrard, Mascha, and Momo were dissapointing on Saturday the midfield trio didnt really work, and I must say thats probably due down to the lack of creativity and ball retention in central midfield. Gerrard right or wherever he was supposed to be couldnt, didnt really get into the game like he can. One last note too, Sami Hyypia hasnt played for nine games came straight back in and did a tremendous job, he is everything Agger isnt and visa versa, a hardened defender who gets stuck in, good job Sami.  :)

Oh one more thing, last season we moaned and groaned when we couldnt do a Chelsea, "play poor and win" well today we did that, a knack we need to carry on if the performance isnt there.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Was it just me or were the reading fans playing musical statues without the music and they must have had 90 former players die in the week because it seems like they held 90 consecutive minutes silence
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion