Pennant frustrated by england snub - Wtf?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:26 pm

Sabre wrote:Gerrard has never played as a winger, but as a right midfielder, it's a different rol.

Aaron Lennon? I think I saw that lad in TOttenham right? well he seems good, I haven't seen him more than 5 games tbh.

Wright Phillips? He's small and unimpressive.

Well, that's what I wanted to know, good to know the "average" winger that we have can only be improved by 2 or 3 names at best, even including Gerrard as a winger, which is cheating :laugh:

I remember Lennon aswell because before bringing Pennant he was one of the names mentioned here. Back then Pennant seemed a decent option, I wonder how much it would take us of getting tired of Lennon if he came to Anfield.

After the goalies the wingers are traditionally the most criticised players in any team. The bloody strikers fail 5, score one, and are heroes. The goalies stop 80, concede one, and they're cráp. Wingers have to receive a lot of kicks, have to work a lot for the team and have to make explosive runs.

That's why they tend to dissapear in the game at times, and that's why they're so criticised often. Because of their role, they're statistically the players that lose possesion more often, that doesn't help neither.

In a nutshell, Pennant is not world class, but defo not average, FFS. A winger is a winger, and Pennant is ok and improving in my book.

Stu would be proud of that post, Sabre!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby redmikey » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:41 pm

england lack a spark and a common drive t be a TEAM

i just don't think pennant is that spark, and if anyone needs to worry about his club form it is him

i would love to see the stats of players beaten, and crosses that aren't sh!t

he has had his settle down time now even though i didn't think he was going to need it being a prem player before coming but everyone deserves a chance

but with money on the way ,so might pennant be!
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Stu would be proud of that post, Sabre!

I'll tell you later. He sometimes answers the footie posts from PM when he's in the fridge (banned)

I think I'll manage to avoid a "get a clue, lad", perhaps I'll get a standard "Pennant is not good enough. He'll never be" :laugh:, or "you're partially wrong" if I'm lucky :)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:20 pm

Sabre wrote:

I'll tell you later. He sometimes answers the footie posts from PM when he's in the fridge (banned)

I think I'll manage to avoid a "get a clue, lad", perhaps I'll get a standard "Pennant is not good enough. He'll never be" :laugh:, or "you're partially wrong" if I'm lucky :)

don't think you'll hear stu say that.

He rates Pennant. He said recently he has had to revise his initial assessment of the guy, but still rates him.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:04 pm

Sabre wrote:

Don't forget the ever popular, "I want to agree with you but..."  :D
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tithead » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:04 pm

kazza wrote:
tithead wrote:Whatever happened to Danny Mills? He's a player I actually quite liked.

???

No offence but Danny Mills is sh1t.

Woops meant Danny Murphy, thought he was a decent player.
tithead

Postby Crouchamania » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:23 pm

Woops meant Danny Murphy, thought he was a decent player.

Phew! :D   you're not wrong though, I thought Murphy was good too
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby node226 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:07 pm

three words - learn from carra.

now that's a true liverpool player for england, even when he's not playin
node226

Postby Rockthekop » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:34 pm

Pennant isn't good enough for England yet, if at all...he's barely good enough for Liverpool! He'll be under pressure next season to keep improving, as well as the fact we may have a new quality right winger on the way in the summer to take his place!
Rockthekop

Postby Rafa D » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:07 am

When I first read this about Pennant being miffed about not being in the England squad I couldn't believe it. First and foremost, he's a Liverpool player and should be more concerned about becoming a first team regular in the Liverpool squad. Secondly what has he done this year to derserve a place in the squad!

As many of you may be aware - I am not exactly Pennants biggest fan but I am and have been giving the lad a chance but then he disheartens me when he starts sprouting shite like this. When we first bought him, I thought you could tell instantly he had PANIC BUY tattooed across his ar[b]se[/], we needed a right winger, didn't have exceptional funds and he was all we could get. My view on that hasn't changed.

The start of his Anfield career has not set the world on fire has it? He looked lost and out of his depth in his first few months and was struggling to make any sort of impact. He seemed scared to try and take a man on and his passing was woeful at best. He started quite a lot earlier on in the year and although the team did not perform well either, he was really bad in my eyes. I remember the first time I seen anything decent from him was the PSV home game in the Champions League, he was asked to move about a lot that night but he put in a steady performance for me, and people were quick to commend him but we should surely expect a bit more from the one time Britians most expensive teenager?

He seemed to be having a hard time integrating into the squad earlier on in the year also, I remember Gerrard scoring against someone and all the lads were celebrating and he tried to but didn't look up for it - I actually felt sorry for him. His attitude stinks though. He came out with some similar cringey bile when he scored his first goal against Chelsea about how he felt he was playing to his correct level now - WTF!?! I expect and I assume other fans do, that he plays a lot better than he has been. He thinks that he is better than he is and although you need players being confident, he is arrogant.

Its not all bad though, when he plays in the team, the opposition are stretched a lot more because of how wide he plays. Next time he plays look at how much closer to the wing Pennant is than whoever plays LM for us, he makes a lot more space for the strikers and the midfielders. Also his Chelsea goal was brilliant and many have won a few more sceptical fans over but just because he hugs the line and scored ONE good goal does not make him the star he thinks he is.

His form since the start of the year has been patchy at best, he seems to disapear in a lot of games and I know thats a trait most wingers are falling victim to, but he seems to suffer a lot with it. I can't remember a game where he has played exceptionally well, although I am told he was brilliant in the reserve match against Blackburn the other night, and I hope he starts to produce the spectatular sooner rather than later. He has struggled this year, some fans don't like at all and aren't willing to give him the time of day, and its comments like his above that adds fuel to the "Lets sell Pennant" fire that is starting to burn brightly.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:17 am

Your post is good Rafa. I don't agree some points, but at least you see some good things and bad things about him, so it's a balanced opinion.

He seemed to be having a hard time integrating into the squad earlier on in the year also, I remember Gerrard scoring against someone and all the lads were celebrating and he tried to but didn't look up for it - I actually felt sorry for him. His attitude stinks though. He came out with some similar cringey bile when he scored his first goal against Chelsea about how he felt he was playing to his correct level now - WTF!?! I expect and I assume other fans do, that he plays a lot better than he has been. He thinks that he is better than he is and although you need players being confident, he is arrogant.

I mostly disagree the earlier part of this bit. Saying a player doesn't integrate is a serious thing in a football squad. I didn't notice that celebration of goal issue, but I trust you of course. But I think that to state he's not integrated you must base it on more facts than that one. Meaning that sometimes the players are angry with the mates because he should have decided a better pass and it's just that. Remember the Alonso goal against Luton? Gerrard was ready to shout him off because he shot from his side of the pitch but the ball entered. This little details are normal, but not enough to say he's not integrated.

Anyway you're right, he should focus mainly on LFC and in improving his game. I agree his start was poor, but perhaps I'm a bit more optimistic than you are.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:25 am

I just feel he is "one of the boys" yet. I know football is not like its used to be. Some players these days don't even talk away from the training ground but I feel like he has had major problems settling into life at Anfield and the squad. Team spirit and togetherness is a major factor in a football team for me. Uniteds had it in the 90's , Chelsea had it and we need it.

I maybe be wrong, and he is just shit.

I am willing to support the lad and give him a chance, but I would set a point (poss Dec 2007) and if he has not improved by then - the door for me.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion