Pennant frustrated by england snub - Wtf?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:41 pm

From .tv...

"Jermaine Pennant has revealed his frustration at failing to make the England squad for the forthcoming European Championship qualifiers with Israel and Andorra.
The Liverpool winger feels his performances throughout his debut season at Anfield warrant an international call-up, but he's vowed to overcome his disappointment and concentrate on impressing Steve McClaren over the remaining months of the campaign.

He said: "I'm very keen for an England call-up. It's frustrating when you play for a big club and you're doing well not to get a chance.

"I feel as though I have played well for Liverpool this season and have been involved in all of the games. It was always going to be hard to settle quickly into a big club but I am happy with the way things have gone for me. That's why it's frustrating not to have had a chance yet with England.

"Some players aren't playing week in and week out and yet they've been called into the squads. No disrespect to them at all, but I think I deserve a chance.

"All I can do is keep playing my football and hope for the call. There's still a lot more to come from me yet and I'll be a better player again next year."

--------------------

I know I defended the lad a few weeks ago when he was getting stick for similar "I'm playing well" comments but this whinge just gets on my t!ts.  You've not established yourself as Liverpool's RM on a weekly basis and somehow you think you've done enough for an international call up?  Do me a favour. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Very arrogant words from Pennant if true!

If this fella thinks he is doing enough for LFC hes at the wrong club.The England call up is a seperate issue...would i have him in the England team?..NO he has not had a consistant enough season!

He should'nt be making statements like that anyway..he should be concentrating firstly on playing well and giving 110% to his club...The international callup will come if its warranted not through whinging.
66-1120597113

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:59 pm

TBH, I really don't think he has done enough to justify a call up anyway. I think he may have confidence issues in relation to playin for a club like Liverpool. He seems to scared at times to just go for it. At the moment our team seems to be indecisive at times when it comes to making that attack in the final third. People will say look at our chances created stats. Do me a favour.

Of course, Anyone can hit the target, at 4 mph lol. I would like to see a stat that says 'ooooh unlucky so close but no cigar!'
Would we still have a high volume over this season?
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I apologise for the above post as it totally went off the subject! :D
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:43 pm

To be honest, I'm struggling to think of more than two games where Pennant was above average this season. It's a poor attitude to moan to the press just because your big move to a big club hasn't automatically yielded fruit on the international front. You'll have to do better than that, kid.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:02 pm

Pennants problem is that he shows what he can do for periods in a game.Sometimes its 5 mins other times 10 seconds!He has NEVER had a good 90 minutes for LFC this year.

I liked him at Birmingham...i thought it was a good signing.He has got class but we have not seen it much and maybe never will!Maybe some players are better when they are on the starting 11 every week...maybe Pennant cannot handle a bit part role in a rotational sytem,maybe he is not a Benitez style of player!

Train hard work hard.....play

Theres not a lot wrong at LFC but i feel the rotational policy struggles to make any squad player hungry because they can play out of their skin on saturday and get dropped on wed night or the next saturday regardless!
66-1120597113

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:19 pm

I was disappointed by his comments earlier in the season that he had nothing to prove at Liverpool. Every player in my opinion has something to prove whether he's a young player making his debut or a senior player who's in the line up regularly. So for a new player like Pennant to say that planted reservations in my mind as to whether or not he was prepared to spill blood for the cause (not literally :D ). For him to say that he's happy with how he's played this season really makes me wonder whether or not we've seen everything he has to offer and if so then I'm sorry but he doesn't have a future in the squad never mind the team. If he wanted a place in the England team for playing like he has been then maybe he should try and get a move to Spurs (seeing as how their players get picked all the time no matter how cr@p they are   :p )as his form this season doesn't deserve a place in the stands at anfield never mind being called upto represent England. I think he'll find that currently there are players at other 'smaller' clubs who are easily outplaying him that are more deserving of an England call up. I might sound a bit harsh but like people have said, whinging isn't the way to go about getting call-ups.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marianne » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:17 pm

we were bad enough in the england game! As if he would have improved the squad-lennon is a far better winger and he was subbed in the 2d half! He's delusional! :D
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:37 pm

What an idiot Pennant really is, sooner we shift him off to someone like Aston Villa or the Boro the better.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tithead » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:21 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:What an idiot Pennant really is, sooner we shift him off to someone like Aston Villa or the Boro the better.

Spurs will probably buy him, then we will never hear of him again.

Whatever happened to Danny Mills? He's a player I actually quite liked.
tithead

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:36 am

tithead wrote:Whatever happened to Danny Mills? He's a player I actually quite liked.

???

No offence but Danny Mills is sh1t.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:53 am

Mills went seriously downhill a few years back. He's at Man City, but isn't exactly in favour there. Pearce loaned him out to Hull City for a spell late last year.

Back to Pennant, I just hope someone takes him to one side. If he's genuinely under the impression that he's putting in performances good enough to win him international recognition, he is utterly deluded.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Sabre » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:07 am

Well, well, well.

I think that this kind of words are not smart, not clever, but some of you already stated that, so it's no news.

But what's behind this words? arrogance? or is he just being not smart enough and telling what he thinks?

I do rate more Pennant than most of you do. I think aswell that before coming here he was a bit polemic guy as far as I could read, and I just think he has been working hard in LFC, probably Rafa said to him he's doing a good job, and he just spoke his mind about this. Clever? definitely not, you can't say that. But I don't think he's THAT wrong to think he might deserve a chance to play for the pros, or at least be called.

I don't know well other EPL teams, I only know well LFC. But when England played against Spain and I saw Shawn Wright Phillips in the right wing I thought : "If SWP can make it, Pennant as well".

I'm not saying he's world class, I'm not saying he's top class, but he's a good right winger. You can find better wingers than him, of course, but I wouldn't say he's average neither, to be honest. I think his start was a poor, but he has been progressing in the team, I think we'll see more things coming from him next season. I know I'm in a minority when I say this, but that's what I think.
:)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:00 pm

i think pennant has improved as the season has gone on, an to be fair wright-phillips has been getting england call ups with far less appearances for chelsea.

to many people are quick to critisize our players and manager on here, all he said was he was dissapointed with not getting a call-up theres nothing wrong with him having them ambitions and he has been playing well of late not great but he did very well when he came on against barca
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:18 pm

RedBlood wrote:i think pennant has improved as the season has gone on, an to be fair wright-phillips has been getting england call ups with far less appearances for chelsea.

to many people are quick to critisize our players and manager on here, all he said was he was dissapointed with not getting a call-up theres nothing wrong with him having them ambitions and he has been playing well of late not great but he did very well when he came on against barca

Here's the line that p!ssed me off, mate:

"I'm very keen for an England call-up. It's frustrating when you play for a big club and you're doing well not to get a chance."

Call it harsh on the lad if you like but that line reads like Pennant feels he's arrived.  He's back at a big club, he's getting some games and somehow he thinks that that's enough to earn him a call up.  That's a shockingly complacent attitude in my book and not worthy of someone playing for Liverpool.

On the other side of the coin, though, I can understand some of his annoyance.  After all, how many players do get called up for England simply because they play for a big club?  Loads.  So, Pennant may have reason to think getting a game at Liverpool may turn McClaren's head.  But, the key here is that the England set up is broken and Pennant's amibition to take advantage of that fact is troublesome.  He has done not nearly enough, in my book, to be in the frame for international football and the only way he should get a call up is by becoming undroppable for Liverpool.  Until he puts the work in for his club he should forget about representing his country.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion