Liverpool vs chelsea - A victory for football!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:14 pm

Now that stevie has pledged his immediate future to Liverpool Football Club, there are certain views which I would like to get off my chest about a certain North London Club. I have kept my cards pretty close to my chest until now but the arrogance of the club in general has led me to write this.

The comparison between the two clubs could not be more stark. Whilst Anfield sits in one of the most underprivileged areas that the North of England has to offer, Chelsea resides in perhaps the heart of West London, with real estate prices akin to gold bullion. The identity of Liverpool Football Club lies deeply embedded in the City, inextricably linked with the identity of the city and the people of that city. Its fans portrayed nationwide as stereotypical of everything that this country likes to look down upon. By contrast the fan base of Chelsea is so obscure as to be farcical, their only identity being a group of eighty year olds in red coats and Union Jack waving w#nkers with British Bulldog T-shirts.

Whilst Liverpool Football Club was rebuilt by Shankly, perhaps the greatest man in the history of football, Chelsea was bought for a pound and rebuilt by undoubtedly the biggest **** ever involved in football, Bates. A man who saw fit to take Hardings money and then ****** on his grave, he then took the Russian’s money and wanted to maintain control. Who could forget the ‘Blue Peter’ “Save the Bridge” boards, the the way he wanted to fry away fans- a ****** in every sense of the word. On the field whilst we have excelled all over Europe, Chelsea have yo-yo’d between divisions. For our Kenny Dalglish see Dennis Wise, for Ian Rush see Kerry Dixon and for Alan Hansen read Mickey Droy. For our European Cups see their Simod’s and for our championships see there ...... er nothing.

That was all till the arrival of a Russian Billionaire last summer, a man that none of us had ever heard of, yet a name on the tip on everyone’s tongue now. A man who made Jack Walker’s investment in Blackburn look like a lucky bag, yet a man who we all remain deeply suspicious of, at best. Isn’t it about time somebody actually come out and said where this money has actually come from and what Chelsea is actually built on?

The money he has put in has been er ... wisely spent? I think not, when the club’s best signings remain the likes of Zola, Desailly, Gallas, Hasselbaink and Gudjonsson, all made before his arrival. In fact much of his money is already dead, spent on players worth a fraction of their original value. They are still a considerable way from being anywhere near the Arsenal’s of this world.

I can’t help but hope that he leaves as quickly as he came and Chelsea return to their rightful place in oblivion.

Monday was a decision for football, a decision for Stevey, a decision for Liverpool and a decision for you and me. A decision for the good guys over the bad guys and one that everyone involved in influencing should be congratulated.

I truly hope that every head that Chelsea try to turn with money takes a good long look at their lives and what their decisions say this summer. I hope that every target they have turns around and gives them two fingers, although I know it is unlikely. Long term success is cyclical and only rarely built purely upon financial clout, it is built from acting in a professional and proper manner and from a solid platform, it is not built on quicksand or Doug Rouvie challenges.

The day that the Russian Gangster puts his toy away cannot come quick enough, the day that Chelsea take their rightful place with the Derby County’s and Sunderlands (I know that’s a bit unfair on Derby, who did win the league twice in the seventies while Chelsea where flirting with 2nd division football) of this world will soon be upon us, whilst like a phoenix from the flames the Liverpool Way will prevail.

YNWA
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maximus » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:23 pm

Good post Mikey.

However money does talk and we are talking about here and now in the fickle world of football superpowers ruled by money and financial clout - unfortunately this is a fact in all walks of life in the world we live today.

Roman Abramovich is not a billionaire, in his mid 30's for nothing. This man must be ruthless, and I believe he will not stop at anything in making Chelsea a force in world football - whilst of course building a property empire in West London.

The question is for how long? My guess is he will get bored and move on to something more glamorous. This is where a club like ours will always flourish, because we do have a solid foundation based on history and tradition.

Indeed YNWA
maximus
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion