Chelsea victory

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:00 pm

I think Supersub is correct and the two of us agree on this point.

You cannot play the way Liverpool played in 2001 and 2002 and win the Premiership. We won three cup competitions, where we were very dangerous away from home. When you think about it, in 2001 we got a win in Slovakia, got 2 away goals in Greece, won by two in Rome, and got a draw at Barcelona. Our home form in the UEFA Cup that year was ok, but it was our away form that won us the cup.

To win the league you have to pick up at least 18 wins against the smaller sides, the Blackburns, Middlesbros, Charltons, Wolves and Fulhams. That is how Man Utd win the league almost every year. Generally speaking they are evenly matched with Newcastle, us, Arsenal and Chelsea in the one on one games, but they are better than everybody else at beating the other teams.

You can only beat the small sides at Anfield week in and week out by playing attacking football.

Can someone please tell me the name of a club that won the league in the last 20 years playing the way we did in 2001, 2002 or on Wednesday night? Don't say "1-0 to the Arsenal" and all that, because Arsenal ripped a lot of teams to death at Highbury under George Graham.

Even Houllier knows this. He has tried to play attacking footbal at Anfield this season: he played 5 attacking players against Spurs at Anfield in August! He has been forced by events to return to his old style, but this will only get him so far.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:22 am

No team has ever won the league with the style we employed in 2001,and you can go back as far as you like.In fact you can pick any division,any league,saturday or sunday football,open-age or under-18's,men,women,kids,even comic books.....
      "dogs of war" you use that to beat relegation,win cups and win some tough away games.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 116-1065305004 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:12 am

All we need now is balls and consistency!
It is no good beating the top teams away from home if you cant win at home against title challengers and mediocre outfits. ???
116-1065305004

Postby leothelion » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 am

sadly even when they do go out to attack against lower teams once they get a 1-0 lead they seem happy with that then defend unlike the mancs if they get 1 they want 2 and more
so who is a lower team going to be afraid to play us winning 1-0 or manky urinals winning 5-0
no team is afraid to go to anfield any more theres always a chance of getting a point  :(
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:24 am

think Supersub is correct and the two of us agree on this point.

You cannot play the way Liverpool played in 2001 and 2002 and win the Premiership. We won three cup competitions, where we were very dangerous away from home. When you think about it, in 2001 we got a win in Slovakia, got 2 away goals in Greece, won by two in Rome, and got a draw at Barcelona. Our home form in the UEFA Cup that year was ok, but it was our away form that won us the cup.

To win the league you have to pick up at least 18 wins against the smaller sides, the Blackburns, Middlesbros, Charltons, Wolves and Fulhams. That is how Man Utd win the league almost every year. Generally speaking they are evenly matched with Newcastle, us, Arsenal and Chelsea in the one on one games, but they are better than everybody else at beating the other teams.

You can only beat the small sides at Anfield week in and week out by playing attacking football.

Can someone please tell me the name of a club that won the league in the last 20 years playing the way we did in 2001, 2002 or on Wednesday night? Don't say "1-0 to the Arsenal" and all that, because Arsenal ripped a lot of teams to death at Highbury under George Graham.

Even Houllier knows this. He has tried to play attacking footbal at Anfield this season: he played 5 attacking players against Spurs at Anfield in August! He has been forced by events to return to his old style, but this will only get him so far.

I completely and utterly 100% disagree with this.

Time and time again i say a team should ALWAYS play to there strengths no matter what they are. Don't get me wrong i'm not saying you shouldn't be able to adapt when needs must, but the main set out for EVERY match should be very much the same the only real difference i would think would be to play with a higher defensive line at home but this takes away the space for Owen, Kewell, Baros etc to use there pace and movement.

Liverpool gainned 80 points playing a counter attacking style of football which was well organised and disciplined. 80 points is a massive total.

This wasn't done by using the best players in the league. This was done by excellent tactical play. The thing we were lacking that season was a top class left winger with the skill and pace to trouble defenders on a consistent basis. Most of that season it was either Riise or Smicer on the left wing. If we'd had Harry Kewell in that system i firmly believe we would have collected another 10 points which would have took us to 90.

We have now changed our style and i believe this is a serious error on the part of the management. Ok we don't have Anelka's class upfront anymore but hopefully Cisse will prove to be a great partner for Owen. The rest of the side is pretty much the same and i therefore believe the tactics should be the same. It suited every player in that side, this you can't argue with.
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:08 am

You won't win the league with that style but then maybe my hopes and aspirations are higher than yours and Houlliers,you see I don't think getting 4th place is your ultimate goal in any season and winning a cup.I actually want by team to try and win the league and under GH this looks less likely now than it did 2years ago.I'm not saying the players aren't good enough,with 2-3 additions we could have a tremendous squad,I just feel Houllier has done all he can do for our Liverpool and maybe a new man at the helm can take us to that coveted award of the premiership.
     stu you harp on about the 80 points haul season,so explain the spectacular failure last season and GH's role in it.When you have a huge lead in the league why resort to 1 man up-front half-way through the campaign?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion