Best & worst books about football? - Page turner or fule for the fire?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby spion » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:25 pm

I've just finished reading The Dammed Utd by David Peace which in my opinion is the best football book ever written & just wondered if anyone else had any opinions about this? I'm getting bored with the usual who are we buying bull & thought a bit of culture was needed........Please dont mention Frank talking by Mr Lampard.
spion

Postby Ade » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am

spion wrote:I've just finished reading The Dammed Utd by David Peace which in my opinion is the best football book ever written & just wondered if anyone else had any opinions about this? I'm getting bored with the usual who are we buying bull & thought a bit of culture was needed........Please dont mention Frank talking by Mr Lampard.

Yeah, I've heard great things about this.

Dunno if you've read it, but All Played Out by Pete Davies is my favourite book about football. It's about Italia 90, which is obviously a bit old now, but it really encapsulates the transformation of England in that era and is beautifully written - he's written a couple of novels too. I picked it up in the middle of my exams and didn't get out of bed for two days. Pot of tea, packet of Digestives, that book propped up on my knees…bliss.

If you're English, and you wanna hang on to the memory of when supporting England actually meant something, and meant something to the players too, dig it out.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:56 pm

wonder if Ashley Cole wants to add to this debate? :p
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:38 pm

Ade wrote:Dunno if you've read it, but All Played Out by Pete Davies is my favourite book about football. It's about Italia 90, which is obviously a bit old now, but it really encapsulates the transformation of England in that era and is beautifully written - he's written a couple of novels too. I picked it up in the middle of my exams and didn't get out of bed for two days. Pot of tea, packet of Digestives, that book propped up on my knees…bliss.

If you're English, and you wanna hang on to the memory of when supporting England actually meant something, and meant something to the players too, dig it out.

Gotta agree with you about "All Played Out" Ade, it was one of the first Footie books I read when I got into that side of things and can now be called a classic.
I have many autobiographies too but the ones that stand out for me are "Addicted" by Tony Adams and "Left Foot Forward" by ex Charlton Journeyman Garry Nelson..... Both worth a try if anyone get's the chance.

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marianne » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:55 pm

im liking footy autobiographys at the mo. Ive read gerrards and fowlers-class
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:23 pm

One or two more to lookout for.... [/I]"Only A Game" by Eamon Dunphy, "Football Against The Enemy" by Simon Kuper and The Joy Of Football"[I] by Brian Glanville, all a few years old now but each one still a quality read......

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:48 pm

A season on the brink is one of the best ive read in recent times.

And although its :censored: all to do with Liverpool im currently readying Flags of our fathers. Quality!!!!  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marianne » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:13 pm

on the context of footy books, has anyone got the names of any good footy coaching books for kids?  My dad coaches a footy team you see! cheers fellow reds
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Barca Murph » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Barca a people's passion by Jimmy Burns. I don't think you'll find a better book about the history of any club. Tells the struggles and persecution that Barcelona have had to endure over the years.
Barca Murph

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Barca Murph wrote:Barca a people's passion by Jimmy Burns. I don't think you'll find a better book about the history of any club. Tells the struggles and persecution that Barcelona have had to endure over the years.

You should get in touch with Jimmy if you can and tell him to add another chapter...He could start writting it next Wednesday morning!
It can be called.........

Put out of Europe by the mighty LFC! :D  :rasp
66-1120597113

Postby Barca Murph » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Eto'o hatrick  :;):
Barca Murph

Postby Effes » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:45 pm

Who ate all the Pies by Mickey Quinn - a great read about the old school ale-drinking football
players of the 80's.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby orlandored » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:57 pm

rothmans football yearbook.
orlandored

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion