Rugby union - England vs new zealand

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:57 am

England will be hoping to halt a five-match losing streak when they take on New Zealand at Twickenham on Sunday.

Coach Andy Robinson's side are in desperate need of a confidence boost with the defence of their world title less than a year away.

But Graham Henry's Tri-Nations champions have won 15 of their last 16 Tests and will be keen to lay down a marker ahead of next year's World Cup.

New Zealand won 23-19 when the sides met at Twickenham last November.

We are underdogs, because we are playing undoubtedly the best team in the world," said England skipper Martin Corry, who will switch to the blind-side from number eight.

"It is about flexibility, but while we are underdogs, we want a full-house Twickenham crowd to expect England to win a home Test match.

"We need to go on a run of consistent results to get where New Zealand have got. Last season, we should have beaten them and we were very disappointed, but I believe we learnt a lot from that."

Since then England have lost to Scotland, Ireland and France in the Six Nations and suffered back-to-back defeats against Australia on their summer tour.

The 43-18 reverse in Melbourne took Robinson's tally to 10 defeats in 18 matches since he took over as coach from Sir Clive Woodward in September 2004, and heralded England's worst run of results since 1984.

New Zealand, meanwhile, won 15 straight Tests before a nail-biting 21-20 defeat to South Africa in September deprived them of a Tri-Nations clean sweep.

The All Blacks have won 21 of their 28 meetings against England, who last won in Wellington (15-13) in June 2003 in the build-up to the World Cup.

Robinson's preparations have been thwarted by injury to the likes of Jonny Wilkinson, Stuart Abbott, Mark Cueto, Josh Lewsey and Steve Borthwick.

And World Cup winners Phil Vickery, Lawrence Dallaglio, Steve Thompson and Mike Tindall are only in the early stages of their comebacks from injury.

Wasps wing Paul Sackey, Gloucester centre Anthony Allen and Bristol scrum-half Shaun Perry will make their debuts, while Leicester lock Ben Kay has recovered from a dead leg.

Henry has rested some star names such as flanker Jerry Collins but inspirational fly-half Dan Carter starts after Nick Evans was forced out with a hamstring injury.

Carter is promoted from a bench which includes number eight Rodney So'oialo and wing Sitiveni Sivivatu.

But despite their status as favourites, All Blacks captain Richie McCaw warned his side they must not take England lightly.

"Beware the underdog, especially at home," said McCaw. "Without doubt, England are going to be dangerous. I cannot think of any greater motivation than for everyone to say that you're no good."

The match was arranged as a celebration of the opening of Twickenham's new South Stand, extending the capacity from 74,000 to 82,000.

But it caused controversy between the Rugby Football Union and the Premiership clubs, who claimed it was outside the agreed quota of international matches.

It also marks the first England game since new director of elite rugby Rob Andrew took over, and the first Test on home soil for new assistant coaches Brian Ashton (attack), John Wells (forwards) and Mike Ford (defence).

England also take on Argentina next Saturday, followed by back-to-back Tests with South Africa, while New Zealand face France twice in the next fortnight before completing their tour against Wales.

From BBC sport. Well, it'll be a decent match anyways... and a jolly nice day out  :kungfu:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coddy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:25 pm

They'll Lose, they are the worst post World Cup winning side ever! New Zealand are the World's best at the moment. England need a good performance from some of the young team, no chance of a win. The Team needs to look towards the 2011 WC, the next one is too close to build a team.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 pm

Calling Babu

What happened to the mighty Roo's on Saturday night, well done Britain !! :buttrock

Also it was good to see Willy Mason get dropped by one of our own  :buttrock
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:44 pm

for some reason bamaga man post's can't be seen by my computer.

This game is one of the few times i barrack for the all blacks, i hope they tw@t them.

check out the cricket, WI all out for 130 something. muahaha

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:14 pm

I've had a fiver on England on the Handicap on Skybet, they're giving England 15 start and although I think the All Blacks will probaby win, it should be close enough for me to cash in.....!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:27 am

oh yeah, the rugby...hmmmm

i dont know much about rugby, but that Carter lad isnt that bad a player i reckon :p

Class game to watch... and i got to sit with di Stewart for a meal beforehand...so not complaining..

and im not a jinx!!! i was at the fa cup final for us last season and we didnt do badly there now!!!
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:49 am

Got stung on my bet.... Teams at this level shouldn't lose by 21 points, It pains me to say it but Wales looked more the part on Saturday.
We'll be lucky to make the semi's in the World Cup next year..... Oh how the mighty have fallen!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:01 pm

coddy wrote:They'll Lose, they are the worst post World Cup winning side ever!

thats because they are not the same side... how many of saturdays 15 starting the world cup final?

Saturday:
Balshaw; Sackey, Noon, Allen, Cohen; Hodgson, Perry; Sheridan, Chuter, White; Grewcock, Kay; Corry (capt), Moody, Sanderson.

===

world cup 15:
Lewsey, Robinson, Greenwood, Tindall, Cohen; Wilkinson, Dawson; Woodman, Thompson, Vickery; Johnson (capt), Kay; Hill, Back, Dallaglio

answer: 2.... cohen and kay

Our team has got nothing to do with the last world cup now. we are the holders, nothing else

---------

and on saturdays game what can you say? - even jonathan davies and the NZ guy in the comentary box said Noon's first try should have been a try. - Had that counted then it could have been very different.

simple unforced errors was our downfall really, end of the first half we gave them 2 trys, and the rest is history
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:36 pm

Im afraid to say England were awful and lucky to get away with losing by the amount they did.

The injuries havent helped to be honest but a bad performance all round
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:39 pm

still not sure why our first try wasnt given tho...fecking video refs...wasnt needed
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:21 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
coddy wrote:They'll Lose, they are the worst post World Cup winning side ever!

thats because they are not the same side... how many of saturdays 15 starting the world cup final?

Saturday:
Balshaw; Sackey, Noon, Allen, Cohen; Hodgson, Perry; Sheridan, Chuter, White; Grewcock, Kay; Corry (capt), Moody, Sanderson.

===

world cup 15:
Lewsey, Robinson, Greenwood, Tindall, Cohen; Wilkinson, Dawson; Woodman, Thompson, Vickery; Johnson (capt), Kay; Hill, Back, Dallaglio

answer: 2.... cohen and kay

Our team has got nothing to do with the last world cup now. we are the holders, nothing else

---------

and on saturdays game what can you say? - even jonathan davies and the NZ guy in the comentary box said Noon's first try should have been a try. - Had that counted then it could have been very different.

simple unforced errors was our downfall really, end of the first half we gave them 2 trys, and the rest is history

either that or they are actually quite shit. I tend to believe the latter.  :p

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:28 pm

dawson99 wrote:still not sure why our first try wasnt given tho...fecking video refs...wasnt needed

There was enough doubt over the grounding. Chances are it was a try but there was a NZ arm involved therefore giving enough doubt over a clean grounding of the ball. 

The question I would ask is why didnt the fool pass
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Because none of the england team knew how to catch.n New zaerland just made it look easy and effortless. Was a great match and over 82,000 in the stadium a bizarre atmosphere
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:32 pm

I think Twickenham is a great stadium and Ive enjoyed myself there although the atmosphere is a bit genteel for me
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:34 pm

genteel is an understaement. its so civilised lol
but with the new south stand its an amazing ground and the fans are a good laugh all mingling together but not really my cup of tea
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum