Ireland v england - Bigger than rugby

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 am

Forget the result - Ireland v England at croke park was a great day.

The history of the stadium is that in 1920 English forces opened fire randomly into a crowd and killed 13 supporters and one gaelic games player (2 people killed in rush to get out). Since then people who worked for British army/police etc were banned from gaelic games. "foreign sports" (basically British sports) were banned from the stadium too.

This year the GAA (gaelic athletic association) opened up Croke park as Landsdowne Road being redevloped. Some in the media tried to hype up "god save the queen" being played in the bastion of Irish nationalism (which always had strong anti-British side) but the English anthem got a great response and so did the English team. Many protestants from NOrthern Ireland who never would have felt welcome in the stadium came down too.

It really was a sign of a changing relationship between Ireland and England.

Truly a great day.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:49 am

A great day. The English team were applauded by the crowd when they came on, God Save the Queen was perfectly respected and applauded afterwards.

The violence and the warfare came afterwards, when Ireland ANNIHILATED England. :laugh:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:04 am

Big Niall wrote:Forget the result - Ireland v England at croke park was a great day.

The history of the stadium is that in 1920 English forces opened fire randomly into a crowd and killed 13 supporters and one gaelic games player (2 people killed in rush to get out). Since then people who worked for British army/police etc were banned from gaelic games. "foreign sports" (basically British sports) were banned from the stadium too.

This year the GAA (gaelic athletic association) opened up Croke park as Landsdowne Road being redevloped. Some in the media tried to hype up "god save the queen" being played in the bastion of Irish nationalism (which always had strong anti-British side) but the English anthem got a great response and so did the English team. Many protestants from NOrthern Ireland who never would have felt welcome in the stadium came down too.

Truly a great day.

A nice post to read Niall. Usually your posts are ever so slightly anti-British or English usually.

I just wonder if you'd have posted or said that if Ireland didnt win.  ???

Never mind ........... congrats to the Irish for their victory. (at least their good at something  :;):   :D )
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:36 am

it could be worse, we could be scottish    :laugh:

getting drubbed by the italians  :laugh:
112-1077774096

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:43 am

Sadly I think that if it were Ireland v. England in soccer the story would have been entirely different.

The last time the English soccer team came to Dublin a load of Chelsea and Millwall fans wrecked the stadium and had the match abandoned.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 pm

Its great to hear that the reception of the players and the english anthem was respected by the fans.
England were murdered and shown up in all areas by an exciting irish team.
I will look forward to watching them in the world cup, see how they fare against the southern hemisphere teams.
Scotland murdered at home though  :laugh:

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:48 pm

Italy are improving all the time and they have a decent pack. If they keep improving they'll consistently beat the likes of Scotland.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Pedro Maradona » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Big Niall wrote:Forget the result - Ireland v England at croke park was a great day.

Truly a great day.

A nice post to read Niall. Usually your posts are ever so slightly anti-British or English usually.

Never mind ........... congrats to the Irish for their victory. (at least their good at something  :;):   :D )

jeremy clarkson says the most useless invention ever was the australian...how right he was! :D
Pedro Maradona

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:39 pm

Dares more to Ireland den dis  :D

England were a shambles. Fair play to Ireland though. Great display.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jkop » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Excellent win by Ireland would love to see us go on and win the cup, but stranger things have happened. :D
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Was a great day indeed and about time the GAA moved with the times....Much as i respect their veiws and identity,they could not stay stuck in the past forever!
Its good that Croke Park will get more use from now on by more sports as its a fantastic stadium and should be enjoyed by all.

Was great to see fans respecting eachothers anthems as well.
66-1120597113

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:20 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Was a great day indeed and about time the GAA moved with the times....Much as i respect their veiws and identity,they could not stay stuck in the past forever!
Its good that Croke Park will get more use from now on by more sports as its a fantastic stadium and should be enjoyed by all.

Dead right.

Definately time to move on.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro Maradona » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:09 am

BarryBelfast wrote:Was a great day indeed and about time the GAA moved with the times....Much as i respect their veiws and identity,they could not stay stuck in the past forever!

i agree but its the GAAs stadium to do what they will with it, it was a big move by them and they must be respected for it, but if they hadnt given it to rugby or soccer i wudnt have blamed them, they built it, they are an amateur organisation and no other sporting organisation has a god given right to play there. compared to the idiots at the football association of ireland and their lack of a national stadium despite the irish teams glory years, the GAA and the IRFU are light years head of them. Despite playing soccer all my life and never playing any gaelic games ,i dont believe the Irish soccer team deserve to play there. The Irish rugby team yes, its their ground Landsdowne road that is being renovated not the FAIs ground. the FAI are scumbags and have relied on the IRFU and now the GAA to get a ground to play internationals....they are parasites that shud get their own ground.
Glad to see the anthems were respected but im not surprised as irish rugby crowds are top class.
Pedro Maradona

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:29 am

Pedro Maradona wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Truly a great day.

jeremy clarkson says the most useless invention ever was the australian...how right he was! :D

Oh I agree entirely, scene as I'm not Australian  :D
66-1112520797

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:37 am

Croke Park is a nice stadium, aside from Hill16.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum