Something a little positive - Mark gonzales.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:42 am

Sabre wrote:
I've got to be honest here, I've been extremely underwhelmed by him sofar. He has contributed practically nothing in miost of the games he has played (with the obvious exception of the winner in the dying seconds of the home game with Haifa) and what's more, at times looks absolutely clueless.

Having said all of that...(deep breath here), though he did very little yesterday save for one excellent cross with his wrong foot for Kuyt to miss the header, I just got the notion, the feeling, a glimpse perhaps of a fleeting flash of something gold. Maybe it was the way he puut his head back and showed he has some pace (though clearly he is not the absolute flying machine some led us expect), maybe it's the fact that though he screwed it a mile wide he was prepared to hit it with his wrong foot, and cross also. Maybe it was the way he moved to anticipate a pass (though for one reverse ball from Gerrard in the first half he was half asleep), I just don't know.

On a desperate day though, the admittedly extremely fleeting glimpses of a little sometyhing to come from Gonzales was just about the only positive I can think of.

He didn't play a good game. I was quite surprised that after being out of the starting eleven as of late, he was given the chance to play in the battle of Old Trafford.

He did a little more than a cross, he provoked a couple of corners which in my book is something I appreciate and it's much better than a goal kick.

He failed miserably in one of his strong points, the long range efforts. He failed to hit the ball well quite embarrasingly, but I know that's not a standard of his play and that was an accident, probably due to him being nervous.

There was 5 or 6 misunderstandings between him and some mates, the mate left the ball behind him after he started a run, and things like that.

So not a good game, but nice to see that Rafa counts on him. If he didn't he wouldn't have put him against Man Utd.

A very good point Sabre, i was surprised that he started this game also, he looks a bit short on confidence and Old Trafford was always going to be a battle and a game where we were often without the ball.
The only reason i can see is that Rafa thought he would be ideal to break quickly, but at this point he is not making the correct decisions when he is in posession and looks like he needs to be alot more composed.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:02 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Sabre wrote:
I've got to be honest here, I've been extremely underwhelmed by him sofar. He has contributed practically nothing in miost of the games he has played (with the obvious exception of the winner in the dying seconds of the home game with Haifa) and what's more, at times looks absolutely clueless.

Having said all of that...(deep breath here), though he did very little yesterday save for one excellent cross with his wrong foot for Kuyt to miss the header, I just got the notion, the feeling, a glimpse perhaps of a fleeting flash of something gold. Maybe it was the way he puut his head back and showed he has some pace (though clearly he is not the absolute flying machine some led us expect), maybe it's the fact that though he screwed it a mile wide he was prepared to hit it with his wrong foot, and cross also. Maybe it was the way he moved to anticipate a pass (though for one reverse ball from Gerrard in the first half he was half asleep), I just don't know.

On a desperate day though, the admittedly extremely fleeting glimpses of a little sometyhing to come from Gonzales was just about the only positive I can think of.

He didn't play a good game. I was quite surprised that after being out of the starting eleven as of late, he was given the chance to play in the battle of Old Trafford.

He did a little more than a cross, he provoked a couple of corners which in my book is something I appreciate and it's much better than a goal kick.

He failed miserably in one of his strong points, the long range efforts. He failed to hit the ball well quite embarrasingly, but I know that's not a standard of his play and that was an accident, probably due to him being nervous.

There was 5 or 6 misunderstandings between him and some mates, the mate left the ball behind him after he started a run, and things like that.

So not a good game, but nice to see that Rafa counts on him. If he didn't he wouldn't have put him against Man Utd.

A very good point Sabre, i was surprised that he started this game also, he looks a bit short on confidence and Old Trafford was always going to be a battle and a game where we were often without the ball.
The only reason i can see is that Rafa thought he would be ideal to break quickly, but at this point he is not making the correct decisions when he is in posession and looks like he needs to be alot more composed.

I think he was in the game to go one-on-one against Gary Neville as he is a slow fecker.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crouchaldinho » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:50 am

That moment on sunday when he hit it down the line past the defender for himself to chase (which resulted in the cross for Kuyt) he was actually behind Rio Ferdinand but still did him for pace  (and theres not that many that can boast that, being as he's one of the quickest defenders in the prem) - more of the same speedy lad and you'll do for me!
crouchaldinho

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Sabre wrote:

Good point, Ace.  Perhaps Gonzo played to compensate for us missing Bellamy's pace on the counter.  He had a couple of nice moments--don't underestimate the quality of his cross with his wrong foot--but generally looked a little out of his depth.  To be fair, though, so did many of our lads...even established big games players.  :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:55 pm

I too didn't think he did much Bob, but there was something. It's like when you watch the fellas prospecting for Gold. They sift through buckets and buckets of sand then you just catch a fleeting glimpse, a flash of something promising. When the blokes say "give him time, remember Henri/Pires etc etc" what they don't say is that even though those players took a while to settle, they did show flashes of ability which indicated better things to come.

The Man U game was the first time I got that feeling about Gonzales. There was just something there, not sure what it was but there definately something. It's true that all that glitters isn't gold but it's also true that sh!te never glistens. I just got a flash of something glittering from Gonzales on Sunday, and for the first time so far I'm glad we signed him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:59 pm

Have backed Gonzo since I saw him. He is not and never was going to be the immediate saviour that we built him up to be, but there is plenty to work with. Nice acceleration decent awareness. And a willingness to use his weaker foot is encouraging, don’t get me wrong he has plenty of work to do, but there enough to be encouraged that he could make a first team player in the future.

Just seems as though he has been playing with a certain degree of apprehension and is trying to hard to live up to the billing some gave him, it would have been easier for him if he had come without seeing his half a season success for Sociedad.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion