Something a little positive - Mark gonzales.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:36 pm

I've got to be honest here, I've been extremely underwhelmed by him sofar. He has contributed practically nothing in miost of the games he has played (with the obvious exception of the winner in the dying seconds of the home game with Haifa) and what's more, at times looks absolutely clueless.

Having said all of that...(deep breath here), though he did very little yesterday save for one excellent cross with his wrong foot for Kuyt to miss the header, I just got the notion, the feeling, a glimpse perhaps of a fleeting flash of something gold. Maybe it was the way he puut his head back and showed he has some pace (though clearly he is not the absolute flying machine some led us expect), maybe it's the fact that though he screwed it a mile wide he was prepared to hit it with his wrong foot, and cross also. Maybe it was the way he moved to anticipate a pass (though for one reverse ball from Gerrard in the first half he was half asleep), I just don't know.

On a desperate day though, the admittedly extremely fleeting glimpses of a little sometyhing to come from Gonzales was just about the only positive I can think of.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:39 pm

The boy can cross but he has joined us at the worst time. He needs to play ina confident team where the pressure is all off of him. At the moment people are examining everything, and that includes our newbies. I just want mark to continue what hes doing and for the more grounded in players to make sure that the team does it's job.

It is nice to see gonzales not afraid to run at players and he is putting in some decent crosses but its just a bad time for anyone to blend in it seems.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:40 pm

I was surprised he was taken off to be honest. Thought he showed glimpses of what we are all waiting for. 

You mentioned the Haifa game but i also though he showed some promise agianst Tottenham when he whipped in some very dangerous crosses.

I actually think he looks a little over-whelmed at the moment which is understandable.  I would like to see him play with a little bit more freedom and i think we saw a little bit of that yesterday.
mattylfc

Postby jkop » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:45 pm

Mark maybe still has to show us what he is made of, but i think we are missing Harry out on the left. :nod
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:47 pm

If only Kewell were fit. Gonzalez looks like the sort of player that needs introducing to a winning team, not as the supposed cure for a team that aren't firing.

Still, growing signs of confidence are no bad thing. I back him to be a success at the club, but after his injuries of recent years, maybe this season won't be the best showcase for him.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:48 pm

i think dawson has a good point about timing - the fact that everyone is currently scrutinising the team.

I am still excited by him. watching him when we loaned him out, the footage i saw of him, the speed, the skill, the crosses, and the goals all proves that he can do it. its just a matter of getting used to the english game, and learning/knowing the movement of bellamy, crouch, and kuyt.

I think he still has alot to learn, but he could be our ronaldo/robben/SWP/giggs with the right improvements to his game
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:56 pm

have to agree speedy has entered liverpool fc at a very daunting time...

but give the lad a chance

hopefully he will still come good...   amazing isn't it everyone is now begging for harry kewell's return...   and tbh im one of them  wev'e missed him...

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:02 pm

Looks like a promising pacy winger.
Graeme Noble

Postby onizukaeikichi » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:09 pm

i was surprised that rafa took him out, the ones that we should have gotten rid in that game was garcia or sissoko, throughout the game they doesnt aid much to our attack anyway. Garcia's is out of form and sissoko doesnt even have any attacking quality. Gonzales looks good, good cross but he was a bit nervous that day.
onizukaeikichi

Postby XSD » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29 pm

I know this is slightly taking it off topic but on the looking positive vibe..
This is just a bad start to the season, I know everyone is worried but personally I am 100% sure that we will click and set a new standard for ourselves this season, better than last season.

I never expected us to win at Old Trafford, it's not because I'm a 'fake fan', it's because the difference in form and confidence was just too great going into the match.
The scales will shift though, they will lose form and confidence and we will gain it.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:37 pm

I've got to be honest here, I've been extremely underwhelmed by him sofar. He has contributed practically nothing in miost of the games he has played (with the obvious exception of the winner in the dying seconds of the home game with Haifa) and what's more, at times looks absolutely clueless.

Having said all of that...(deep breath here), though he did very little yesterday save for one excellent cross with his wrong foot for Kuyt to miss the header, I just got the notion, the feeling, a glimpse perhaps of a fleeting flash of something gold. Maybe it was the way he puut his head back and showed he has some pace (though clearly he is not the absolute flying machine some led us expect), maybe it's the fact that though he screwed it a mile wide he was prepared to hit it with his wrong foot, and cross also. Maybe it was the way he moved to anticipate a pass (though for one reverse ball from Gerrard in the first half he was half asleep), I just don't know.

On a desperate day though, the admittedly extremely fleeting glimpses of a little sometyhing to come from Gonzales was just about the only positive I can think of.

He didn't play a good game. I was quite surprised that after being out of the starting eleven as of late, he was given the chance to play in the battle of Old Trafford.

He did a little more than a cross, he provoked a couple of corners which in my book is something I appreciate and it's much better than a goal kick.

He failed miserably in one of his strong points, the long range efforts. He failed to hit the ball well quite embarrasingly, but I know that's not a standard of his play and that was an accident, probably due to him being nervous.

There was 5 or 6 misunderstandings between him and some mates, the mate left the ball behind him after he started a run, and things like that.

So not a good game, but nice to see that Rafa counts on him. If he didn't he wouldn't have put him against Man Utd.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MaccaLFC » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:50 pm

Looking at him in Spain, he's a big game player, shouldn't have been taken off really yesterday, Garcia should have made way.
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby eds » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:52 pm

I've said it once, twice and three times.

Mark will come good, once we [finally] get on our bike and go on a winning run, he will be smacking them in from everywhere!

WE just have to keep BELIEVING in him and our team.

:)
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby flombs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:18 am

Like most sensible posters here say, mark gonzo has the skill and pace to be a very good player for us.I quite like him, but he is gonna need the games under his belt and the team to start clicking together before we see him for what he is, a top future LW. Until the team gets it together we aint gonna see it, like most of the players we have.
"Anorexics addicted to shopping with hollow labotomised
heads". -Brazilian newspaper on British football wives.

"Long live Italy! I dont like Australia! I dont care about
the Australian team, and i dont want them to have good results!" -Chinese football commentator (Hilarious)
flombs

Postby Houllier=LFC » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:55 am

Gonzalez has burning pace, an essential asset for a top winger these days, and he is capable of good quality crosses, not shy of taking shots from distance too, the only problem now is for him to adjust and adapt to the local games and learn to link up better with the team.
Houllier=LFC

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion