Almost 1 year ago today - St michael posted this positive thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:09 pm

It will be advertised as a must win game as Sky are obsessed with every game being hugely important and i think this rubs off on some people.

I was annoyed and frustrated but it was the first game of the season and whilst its wrong to say Chill we should keep some form of perspective
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:24 pm

bigmick wrote:It is also my hunch that we are going to need around eight more points this season than last to win the Premiership.  Now we won a lot of games last season and went on some great runs, but if we are going to draw at places like Sheffield United (and we'll see how good they really are in their next few games, my monies on them finishing stone-cold bottom) where are we going to pick those eight points up from?

i think we're capable of picking up more points than last season on the premise that our strikeforce is a million miles more potent on paper than it was last season. last season our strikers couldn't score in a brothel before christmas and we still ended up with 82 points. crouch opened with a 4-month drought before coming good in the new year, morientes scored about 5 goals all season, cisse scored all of his goals against sides that finished outside the european places and many late on against sides that had nothing to play for, and fowler was peripheral.

taking all that into account its a wonder looking back on it how on earth we managed to rack up all those points. credit had to go to the defence for being so awesome all season.

now, with a strikeforce of crouch, fowler, bellamy and now kuyt, can you really imagine us going for long periods without any of them hitting the net?

if you look at crouch now, he's our most inform striker. infact if you go back to december 1st last year when he broke his duck against wigan, since then he's scored something like 22 goals for club and country. fowler is already off for the new season, bellamy will score goals given the service and the same for kuyt, who arrives with an outstanding record, even if it was in holland.

it will still be hard to beat the 82 points from last season. infact last season was freakish in that we finished third with a points total that would more often than not have won the league in the past. chelsea have raised the bar again but i don't think even they will rack up as many points as they did last season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:33 pm

I just think we have invited pressure onto ourselves straight away. With Man U and Chelsea playing tomorrow and saturday against weaker sides they could open up a bit of a gap on us. This is not doom mogering its being realistic. I'm not saying they're both going to win all their games from now on, but knowing that we drew must ease the pressure on them.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby MaccaLFC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:36 pm

stmichael wrote:taking all that into account its a wonder looking back on it how on earth we managed to rack up all those points. credit had to go to the defence for being so awesome all season.

Plus the likes of Gerrard & Garcia for chipping in as many goals as they could. I fully agree with you, if our attacking midfielders chip in as well as they did last season, and our strikeforce is more potent, which on paper it should be, we should pick up 82 points +.

That's the idea, anyway. :cool:
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:39 pm

CardinalRed wrote:Chelski and ManU couldn't have asked for better opening day fixtures.                                                           

I must admit that I did chuckle about all the hype around Manure after they beat Fulham 5-1.

We beat Fulham 5-1 last year with one of our worst performances of the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:15 pm

stmichael wrote:We beat Fulham 5-1 last year with one of our worst performances of the season.

How the fuc'k does sticking the ball 5 times into the oppo's net translate into being one of our worst performances of the season ?

:p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Des » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:38 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
stmichael wrote:We beat Fulham 5-1 last year with one of our worst performances of the season.

How the fuc'k does sticking the ball 5 times into the oppo's net translate into being one of our worst performances of the season ?

:p

:laugh: good point brother.

As Jimmy Hill would say- 'Gary Linekar may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes but i think you have to say..what else did he do?
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Des wrote:As Jimmy Hill would say- 'Gary Linekar may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes but i think you have to say..what else did he do?

:D   :D   :D .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion