Todays friday five

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:40 am

LFC #1 wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:2. Money. For all I care Al Quieda could sponsor us as long as the pennies kept rolling in. I would like some big company and a good name, but beggers can't be chosers.

Thats bollox.

Would you be happy if the S*n was sponsoring us? I think this is a bit of a naive statement on today of all day's.

Nothing to do with me really, but the statement was made yesterday mate.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:38 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:2. Money. For all I care Al Quieda could sponsor us as long as the pennies kept rolling in. I would like some big company and a good name, but beggers can't be chosers.

Thats bollox.

Would you be happy if the S*n was sponsoring us? I think this is a bit of a naive statement on today of all day's.

My mistake. But that doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. Money isn't everything, the image of the club and respect for the fans comes first.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:47 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

Thats bollox.

My mistake. But that doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. Money isn't everything, the image of the club and respect for the fans comes first.

Spot on in what your saying mate.
But to be honest the majority of Liverpool fans think the same and i dont think my namesake the Ace was being disrespectful with what he said.
Obviously some things are far more important than money.
The example you gave about the s#n sponsering the club was valid, but obviously nobody at the club would be stupid enough to speak to them no matter what money was being offered.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:11 pm

My two cents for what it's worth:

1. Mendieta, Diego Tristan or possibly Christian Vieri.

2. Bit of both, i wouldn't want chang beer, but i never been a fan of carlsberg any how, so i guess money is most important.

3. Getting better, its progress. i would like to see us lift the fa cup to round off what has been a good season on many levels and i think we will.

4. Good enough in my opinion. - We have lots of young keepers too.

5. 60,000 with room for expansion is definitely the way to go.
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby H_K_LFC » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:20 pm

1) A few people have said Hartson and no way is he good enough for Liverpool.I watch him most weeks and he is immobile and the amount of stuff he gets away with each week is amazing.Even though i hated him when he was at celtic Larsson would be a brilliant signing,he really has proved how good he is at Barcelona.Although i'm happy with Fowler right now.

2) Probably the money but i would like a change from Carlsberg.

3) It will be a good season if we can win the F.A Cup but all in all its been a decet season.

4) We've got plenty of good young keepers,no need for another one.

5) Room for expansion will always come in handy in the future.
Last edited by H_K_LFC on Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:33 pm

1) I think someone who has been overlooked by everyone (prob cos nobody rates him) is hasselbank, I think he s a smashing player for his age and is well capable of scoring goals with the right kind of service, he would be a realistic option as well as larsson is going back to sweden this summer i heard!

2) I think we need to get rid of carlsberg, i dont think they have done all that they could for liverpool, maybe im wrong and they spread the LFC message in scandinavia etc but Vodafone had united players in ad's all the time and seem to mention united everywhere, I dont think the money or exposure from carlsberg is good enough, I would want a decent brand name that everyone can relate to with good money, I would hate something like chang beer, Coca-Cola wouldnt be bad? ??? ???

3) I think it has been a very productive season, disappointing getting knocked out of the champs league but we are a consistent team in the league and have 3rd place wrapped up, if we can beat chelsea in semis It would be a brilliant season!!!

4) we have enough keepers in reina carson and that young keeper we bought from mk dons, other areas are more important, right winger and striker!

5) I think we should definitely go with 60,000 to start off with and then take it from there i.e. room for expansion, and if we need more capacity in the future then at least we know we could expand, best not to go straight for 70-75,000 just yet!

thoughts??? :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby stmichael » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:59 pm

ICE-MAN wrote:1) I think someone who has been overlooked by everyone (prob cos nobody rates him) is hasselbank, I think he s a smashing player for his age and is well capable of scoring goals with the right kind of service, he would be a realistic option

actually that's not a bad shout considering he's out of contract at the end of the season. :nod
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:56 am

Last season I'd have said yes to Hasselbaink, but he's 34 now, and I think he's had a similar season in terms of goals to Cisse. Yes, they've got themselves 15/16 goals each, but they are taking far too many chances to get them for my money.

Hasselbaink's flashes of genius are getting fewer and farther between. And if we're going to crucify Cisse for being too individual, offering little in terms of team interplay, then it'd make absolutely no sense to bring in a player like Jimmy, who is very similar in that regard.
ivor_the_injun

Postby dmf » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:43 am

1 maybe ronaldo although his wages would be huge, solano.
2 money sadly
3 massive improvement in the league has made this a good season in my opinion, an fa cup win would make it even better, tne future looks good.
4 should be ok in this department.
5 60 000 with possibility of expansion.
dmf

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:55 am

stmichael wrote:time for this friday's questions guys:

1. We signed Fowler on a free and he is currently playing for a contract. What other player of his age, or thereabouts, would you consider signing in similar circumstances?

2. The shirt sponsor. Which is more important, the sponsor or the money?

3. Five (possibly 6) games left. 3rd in table, semis of the Fa Cup. Out of the title race, out of the League Cup and out of the Champions League. Good season or bad?

4. Goalkeeper. I know we've signed loads of keepers, but, assuming Dudek leaves in the summer, we only have Carson as serious cover for Reina. Is that enough or should we get a decent keeper in for next season?

5. The new stadium. If it ever gets built, should it have a maximum capacity of, say, 70,000, or should there be room for expansion in years to come?

It must be someone else's turn next week! :D

1. Santiago Canizares from Valencia. - Experienced GK cover for when Dudek leaves.

2. Sponsor. No sh*t companies thanks.

3. Very good. Such an improvement overrall, and it was always unlikely we would retain the CL.

4. See Q1.

5. Both. No point in starting low and having to expand in 2-3 years.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:41 am

stmichael wrote:time for this friday's questions guys:

1. We signed Fowler on a free and he is currently playing for a contract. What other player of his age, or thereabouts, would you consider signing in similar circumstances?

2. The shirt sponsor. Which is more important, the sponsor or the money?

3. Five (possibly 6) games left. 3rd in table, semis of the Fa Cup. Out of the title race, out of the League Cup and out of the Champions League. Good season or bad?

4. Goalkeeper. I know we've signed loads of keepers, but, assuming Dudek leaves in the summer, we only have Carson as serious cover for Reina. Is that enough or should we get a decent keeper in for next season?

5. The new stadium. If it ever gets built, should it have a maximum capacity of, say, 70,000, or should there be room for expansion in years to come?

It must be someone else's turn next week! :D

1- He's older than Fowler but Southgate would be an excellent purchase (not that we really need him.) Hugely underated player who really should have played for a bigger club. If Sami or Carra were to get injured long term (touch-wood) then he would be high on my list.

2- For any big club the shirt sponsor can't be ONLY about the money. It's also about image and compatibility. Tampax (as someone else said) could offer 30 million a year but the man on the street wouldn't buy the shirt. However, i do think the club could be hard-nosed when negotiating sponsorship deals. I'm sure the club could have pulled in more money (particularly on the back of Istanbul) with another company but chose to stay with Carlsberg because of a good working relationship, trust, loyaly etc. As much as i like Rick Parry he could do with being a bit more like that slimy weasil Kenyon who is simply the best in the business.

3- We've had a cracking season. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

4- I'm delighted with Reina. His tenure could be longer than both Clemence ad Brucey. I'm not sure Carson will be at the club next season. He wants to play but (barring injury) might have to wait ten years to get a game! Dudek may stay but if not i would expect Rafa to sign an experienced goalkeeper. Canizares is a good shout shout. Can't believe someone said we should have signed Nicky Weaver! lol

5- As for the stadium. the bigger the better! Then i might move up the season ticket waiting list! I reclon i've got about 7 years to wait if the club stays at Anny!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion