Todays friday five

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:26 pm

time for this friday's questions guys:

1. We signed Fowler on a free and he is currently playing for a contract. What other player of his age, or thereabouts, would you consider signing in similar circumstances?

2. The shirt sponsor. Which is more important, the sponsor or the money?

3. Five (possibly 6) games left. 3rd in table, semis of the Fa Cup. Out of the title race, out of the League Cup and out of the Champions League. Good season or bad?

4. Goalkeeper. I know we've signed loads of keepers, but, assuming Dudek leaves in the summer, we only have Carson as serious cover for Reina. Is that enough or should we get a decent keeper in for next season?

5. The new stadium. If it ever gets built, should it have a maximum capacity of, say, 70,000, or should there be room for expansion in years to come?

It must be someone else's turn next week! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:33 pm

1. Pires or maybe even Okocha.
2. the money is important but the brand must reflect the principles of the club. and obviously nothing eastern that says 'fanny' or anything.
3. good season, we're making a mark on the prem bit by bit. disappointing not to get at least one more round in the CL though.
4. for me Carson is a great prospect and deserves the right to be no.2
5. as long as there is room for my executive box i don't mind.

do i win?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kitster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:34 pm

1 need to think about that
2 money -remember candy !!
3 not good after last
4 should have gone for weaver 3 years ago
5 definate expansion
kitster

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:03 pm

1.  Someone like John Hartson, don't laugh!  he's fat and very immobile, but he and Sutton are 2 players I thought about back in January.  Both were wanting to come back to play in England and Celtic would have listened to offers for either as they were so far ahead of Rangers in the league already at that stage and those guys were on big contracts to play up there.  Birmingham got Sutton in the end who I think is a very good player.  Hartson will move back to the premiership next season.  Not a top quality player, but for a nominal fee and with a decent goalscoring record wherever he's been, he could have been a stop-gap in January when we were needing goals.  Henrik Larsson is another I would have tried to sign back in January as he wasn't getting a look-in at Barce.

2.  The money.  Simple as that.

3.  Good season.  Massive improvement in the league form - the best measure of a team's progress.

4.  Well Kirkland will probably also be back at the club next year will he not?  Actually I'm not sure.  Dudek might be happy to stay as backup after the WC is over, he seems to really like the club.  If it was me I'd kee Dudek as cover, sell Kirkland and loan Carson.  I need to see more of Carson before I'm totally convinced he's good enough to be honest.

5.  About 60 000 with room for expansion makes more sense to me
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:15 pm

1. beckham :D  :D  no really raul on a free or ronaldo

2.show me the money.30 mill a year we would have tampax on the shirt

3.great season. to see our team dominating teams playing good football and being considerd as title contenders . let the rafalution role on

4.carson and pepe is enought with a good youth keeper in case the poo hits the fan it will keep them both sharp

5. as long as i can have my season ticket in a noisy part i don,t care ,  but 60,000 and room to build is the way foward, any bigger and look at the problem that juve have
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:14 pm

stmichael wrote:time for this friday's questions guys:

1. We signed Fowler on a free and he is currently playing for a contract. What other player of his age, or thereabouts, would you consider signing in similar circumstances?

3. Five (possibly 6) games left. 3rd in table, semis of the Fa Cup. Out of the title race, out of the League Cup and out of the Champions League. Good season or bad?

4. Goalkeeper. I know we've signed loads of keepers, but, assuming Dudek leaves in the summer, we only have Carson as serious cover for Reina. Is that enough or should we get a decent keeper in for next season?

5. The new stadium. If it ever gets built, should it have a maximum capacity of, say, 70,000, or should there be room for expansion in years to come?

1. Very good question this. If they weren't definatley retiring I'd look at Bergkamp and Shearer, but of those who will still play a bit Andy Cole would be my choice. He may have played for Man Utd, but so did Ince.

2. Money. For all I care Al Quieda could sponsor us as long as the pennies kept rolling in. I would like some big company and a good name, but beggers can't be chosers.

3. Good. We can still catch second and we could still win a cup which at this late stage is a definite plus. Maybe it's not where we should be if you subscribe to that romantic image of us challenging for the title every year but how realistic has that been since 89/90? It's a step in the right direction.

4. An older coach/player would be nice. Dave Bessant and Mart Poom have both been worthy of having their names on their respective squad lists so there's no need to bring Brucey out of retirement just yet.

5. There should be options, but in modern engineering, these can be easy to come to. I'd be happy with 10 or so years at 65,000 as long as we had an option.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:36 pm

1. Hartson's definitely the obvious name, and at the moment is probably doing the kind of job that Morientes was brought in to do. Raul's another, but I do have doubts about him these days. There are players in the Prem like Viduka that are that sort of age, that would be useful squad players on a free, but too be honest they'd probably still command a fee. Certainly I don't think there's a deal to be done out there that would be on a par or better than we have got/could get with Fowler.

2. The money has to be good, but if the sponsor isn't someone the ordinary man on the street would want on their chest, then there's really no point getting involved. Carlsberg, Candy, and my particular favourite Crown Paints have been pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned. We're a big club, and I'd like to think we can still attract honorable names that have the sort of money that can get them the deal.

3. It may turn out to be a great season, but with nothing to show for it. Last season was transitional, but had a phenomenal prize at the end, but for me this season has been a more accurate gauge of where we're up to. In our CL run last year, and in the group stages this time round, we showed we can outplay any side in Europe on our day.

This year I've got the impression that we're becoming capable of putting in enough consistent performances to win the Premiership. An iffy start to our campaign, and a poor new year let us down this season however. I reckon next season will be very interesting.

4. With a young understudy coming up from the youth or reserve team (how's David Martin coming along?), that'd suffice for me. That said, maybe a veteran keeper like Dean Kiely could be brought in as a squad option and also to help out on the coaching side. I thought Paul Jones was excellent when he came in on loan a few seasons back, and I reckon someone of his age could still definitely double up in this way. In a few seasons, maybe we could do with approaching Friedel for this sort of role - he's arguably been consistently the best keeper in the Premiership since 2000.

5. Whether the new stadium's capacity is 60,000 or 70,000, there HAS to be scope for expansion in the future. That's an absolute must.
ivor_the_injun

Postby SoppMeister » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:40 pm

1. Andy Cole f'sho.

2. Money comes first and foremost I guess.

3. Good season, we were never gonna replicate last years heroics and I've been very impressed by our league performance.

4. 2 should be enough. Carsson needs a good run again and he's quality.

5. Go straight for 70,000 or it ends up looking like a house which has had one too many extensions i.e. Old Trafford
SoppMeister

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:31 pm

1. Agree with Bergkamp, but but ol' teddy sherringham is still scoring loads at 40! hats off to the lad i say. Tho stelios is the same age as robbie, so the same deal for him and i'd be happy, signed on a free, and wage cut.

2. the money

3. An improvement squad and league table wise from last season. Its very hard to win back to back champions league, so I wouldnt expect that. I think I would say I'm content with 3rd, but id be happy (and consider it a good season) with 2nd. (imho utd are too far ahead for us to make 2nd now)

4. Every squad needs 3 good keepers. David Martin is one for the fututre, but not strong enough yet. If Dudek and Kirkland leave we will need a 3rd choice keeper on our books - Look at last season with Carson  (our then 3rd chioce keeper in goal against juve)

5. I think yes. Room for expansion does make sense. If in the future we were to come into more money,  we might want to expand further.....
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:01 am

1. I think Anelka wants to come back but I htink I'd prefer Okocha.
2. The money is nice, however Carlsberg have stuck with us for a very long time, So it would be rude of us to cut them loose straight away just because we got a better offer.
3. Nice to go better in the CL but we are finishing fairly strongly after a very slow start with too many 1-0 wins. Good Overall.
4. I think we signed the MK Dons keeper who isn't too bad. Might be good to sign a Championship keeper though.
5. I think it should have a maximum capacity to create a cauldron like atmosphere. May as well build as big as possible because it will end up costing more to make modifications.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:50 am

1) Really good question, Stam would be an option, but with Paletta and Agger now, dont really need cover there. Cafu also an option but he is 36 and Finnan has Kromkamp for cover now. Also Carlos is available in the summer but brings too much of a galaticos attitude IMO. So I would have to go with Wiltord, Lyon have not renewed his contract and he can operate on the right or upfront and we know he can cut it in the Premiership.

2) The money without a shadow of a doubt. Football is now a global brand and money is vital to sucess( look at Chelski). Utd recently turned down 70m from a poker company and we praised as it would send out the wrong messages!?! The company is still looking and simmering from Utd pulling out, it was in the papers (smirk) that they are looking to invest their money is a rival club - Come to Anfield!

3) Great season for me - I normally start every season thinking this is our year, doesn't every fan? However it would be a big ask. The Carling Cup is never a priority for me, the CL exit was disapointing as well,however we have come on leaps and bounds this year and feel we are really going places under Rafa. The defence is near perfection and the middle four are among the best in the league, our strikers have generally under performed but the amazing ten games without conceding and our consistency have been amazing for the fans.

4) Kirkland has been told he can leave (and take his £20,000 wages with him), Dudek however close to my heart after Istanbul is never going to get a game, also his reported wages of £50,000 is really high, and we could do with getting rid. Paul Martin, Carson, Reina and back up John Willis is enough cover for me.

5) There should always be room for expansion , however it must not lose the atmosphere. Certain huge stadiums have no atmosphere, due to the way it was built, the City of Manchester Stadium is mean to lose most of its sound through its structural set out where as the Dome in Japan kept the sound in creatinga red hot atsmosphere.
Last edited by Rafa D on Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:41 am

1. Good question, we could do with Henrik Larrson.

2. Money, like everything else in football these day's money's 
    the matter.

3. I would class it as a good season although we got knocked
    out of the CL by the unfancied Benfica, we have made
    excellent progress domesticly. I think our squad is much
    stronger than it was last year and as a team we are more
    consistent. I think this season we have lacked goals mostly
    so a couple of quality strikers is all we need really.

4.  Carson is adequate cover, I reckon there are more priority
     positions that need filling. Goalkeeper (second choice) isnt
     one of them.

5.   70,000
66-1112520797

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:41 am

The Ace1983 wrote:2. Money. For all I care Al Quieda could sponsor us as long as the pennies kept rolling in. I would like some big company and a good name, but beggers can't be chosers.

Thats bollox.

Would you be happy if the S*n was sponsoring us? I think this is a bit of a naive statement on today of all day's.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:05 am

1. Henke Larsson and any descent right winger for cover. Henke is playing really well in Barcelona and he is light weight so he will be able to play for years to come. Has always brought joy with him into the dressing rooms where ever he has played.

2. Money to a certain degree... I wouldn't want tampax on the shirt.

3. Good season I would have wished for us to beat out a :censored: team like Benfica though. Hopefully we can take home the FA cup.

4. Get rid of Dudek because of his high wages. Carsson is enough.

5. 65000 and room to expand.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Flashard » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:37 am

1. Sorry for me i'm going against the trend on this one. Fowler Yes keep him as we know he can do it. I for one do not want to see 1 season wonders anymore, I want young good quality future players brought in. Raul in question, can he do it anymore? for me lets build and not take someone elses nolongers. exception of Fowler.

2. I think in this modern money mad game we need a big sponsor to promote us on the global stage. But this would not be a major worry as if we land the big finacial investor i believe this will come later on. So money for me. eheheh Quote Tampax on shirt hehehe.

3. Surley any Liverpool supporter will see the improvement this season. We are being know spoke about as real title contender and i feel this summers spending is massive for Raffa. The pressure is on as the Expectation is within the next 2 seasons to fight all the way for the holy Grail. But a big improvement for me without a doubt.

4. carson is the man for me. Money for Dudek and Kirkland would be nice but Carson given some more games next season.

5. 60,000 what a noice that would be with it hopefully most weeks from next season being 95% full would be great. Start a little cagey with this one and leave room for expansion to 70.000.

6.  :bowdown  :hearts  :buttrock
Flashard

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion