Liverpool looking to sign kezman - Do we need to sign more strikers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:46 am

Monday, May 3, 2004
Liverpool 'in the race' for Kezman
PSV Eindhoven striker Mateja Kezman claims that Liverpool are among the clubs queuing up to sign him.

Earlier this season, Birmingham and Fulham showed an interest in the forward, with Birmingham making PSV an offer for the Serbo-Montenegrin international but they could not reach an agreement with the Eindhoven outfit.

Kezman, who scored twice in PSV's 5-0 victory over Volendam at the weekend, has an ongoing contract with the club.

However, it is understood the Eredevisie side are willing to cooperate in a transfer, with Liverpool being the latest Premiership side to show an interest in signing the 25-year-old.

'Liverpool are back in the race, that's true. It is a marvellous club with a great history. It would be great to join that club,' Kezman told De Telegraaf newspaper.

Kezman, one of the most prolific forwards in European football, has spent nearly four years at PSV after he joined them from Partizan Belgrade in July 2000.

he seems keen to join us but do we want to sign more strikers?  Especially with Dijbril Cisse lined up for the summer (of course if Owen does go to Real Madrid the windfall would make Kezman a good buy)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:49 am

we have :
Owen
Heskey
Baros
Diouff
Pongolle
Cisse to come

La Tallec and Kewell can play up front. We need to sort out defence and midfield!
No more strikers! please
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed May 05, 2004 12:11 pm

Agree'd but we need to off load Heskey, like Dawson says we need a decent centreback and a creative midfielder, their isn't much point having strikers if they don't get the service.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed May 05, 2004 12:37 pm

don't belive what you read all the time, Kezman expressed an interest in playing for LFC but i don't thnk we are actually trying to sign him, just a quote taken out of proportion by the media.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 05, 2004 12:38 pm

kezman will be in the premiership but more likely at somewhere like fulham.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed May 05, 2004 1:40 pm

We need quality strikers, I'd rather have Kezman than Diouf, Pongolle, Heskey, Cisse or Smith.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Wed May 05, 2004 1:43 pm

cisse is quality, he will score more than 15 goals next season for the first team i guarantee it!
were not after kezman its just speculation, his agent admitted were not interested its just the papers as usual coming up with stories!
CISSE IS QUALITY! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby adayinthelife » Wed May 05, 2004 6:17 pm

Hey ice 15 goals is quite a prediction for a player of cisse's inflated reputation.He has all the physical attributes to make it as a top striker but yet he has some mental problems as he proved in u21 match and will now miss euro2004.He also seems very keen on houllier being manager and I have my doubts as houllier must surely be on his way out and what sane striker would want houllier as their manager? ???
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Wed May 05, 2004 6:58 pm

On the few occasions i've seen Kezman play he does look a good strong clinical finisher, and would probably do a good job in the premiership but i do think it is a speculation news story so i can't see anything coming from it. Papers have to be sold so not all is true!
I think Heskey may be offloaded this summer due to the ongoing inconsistent performances, and may be one of the few players we can get a decent fee for.
Diouf has not produced anything that warrants a £10m transfer fee, whether he's played on the wing or up front he is not a "goalscorer" so i wouldnt be upset to see him go.
Baros and Pongolle are good players and will be nurtured for the future. . .and that leaves Owen who has yet to commit his immediate future to the club. Hopefully once the 4th place facade is settled he will put pen to paper and i'm sure he will re-sign in some manner whether it will be an extension or a long contract only he will know! !

so i do think we need more goal power and Cisse seems certain to come - hopefully he will set the premiership alight, he has a good goalscoring record in the french league and is famous for his blistering pace which is essential in our league these days BUT there is always that uncertainty! . . .will he need time to adapt?  will he hit it off as a partnership with Owen?  has he got the right temprement? my fingers are crossed! 

If we have Owen, Baros, Cisse, Pongolle and Mellor as strikers with Kewell and Le Tallec as alternative options i think that is enough. Maybe we will go for one more in Alan Smith or Kezman but the balance needs to be right, maybe we'd be better off with somebody more creative from midfield (we can't always rely on Gerrard to raise the tempo in the middle) like Shaun Wright-Phillips or even Raffael Van Der Vaart who is allegedly available this summer.

Speculation is always rife but is interesting!
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion