Milan baros - Does houllier hate him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:22 am

It is total madness that poor Baros still cannot get a decent run in this woeful team.
I just saw on official website houllier was quoted on april 2nd as saying Milan is totally back now.He did well when he came back from injury but then had a bit of a dip but now he is back to his top level again.
He scored again for the czech team and houllier believes he is now back to his very best.
Is he saying that Baros at his very best is not good enough to get a run in the team playing as badly as we are? ????
He has never really had a chance to form a partnership with Owen due to him not being a target man.Without heskey we would have to start trying to play more football through midfield instead of launching long balls from the back.
It seems pretty obvious to me houllier is loath to play a short passing game and recently Owen has been left up front on his own and yet we still try and play long balls.
Is his international record not good enough for houllier?
8 goals in 18 games is not bad and he has deserved his chance way before now but like I said maybe houllier just doesnt like him.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:27 am

I think the problem Baros is facing isn't to do with himself, rather that he just doesn't seem to gel with Owen. (Too similar imo). Play Baros up with a big, physical striker (someone like Heskey, only good) and he'd be bagging goals left right & centre. Problem is, that's Owen's position and as much as I like Baros he ain't as good as Owen.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bedlovedays » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:55 am

the launching balls from the back stick is really tiresome,,,,

have you watched how other teams move the ball up the field?  They play as a team,,,,,attack could come at any moment from any side,,,,

We have a one man offence,,,,fire it up to Owen,,,now you tell me how hard is that to defend,,,there are always three defenders on him,,,,,,,

The ball is then in the oppositions hands ( feet ) and they come back at us,,,,,,,,,,Why give the ball away in this manner!!!!That is why we lost to Arsenal.  We are good enough to beat them ,,, to beat anyone really,,,,but our coaching stratagy is not effective.  The only reason we beat Manure was our ultra defensive play,,,,,,did you not see how many balls they got into the middle,,,,,

Giggs almost had one and so did Saha,,,,,,,, 

We won because Neville is a twit ,,,,not because of our wonderful attacking,,,,,,,   (Thank god for Gerrard)

Houllier thinks it's a good stratagy,,,,,,sorry mate but your time is up,,,,,,
bedlovedays

Postby azriahmad » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:33 am

Quote (bedlovedays@April 27 2004,03:55)
Houllier thinks it's a good stratagy,,,,,,sorry mate but your time is up,,,,,,

I think Houllier thinks that the lone striker approach is a good strategy because perhaps that was the exact strategy he used when he won the French title when he was a coach at Lens (I think) eons ago....

Or, if is the only strategy he knows because if that strategy works, he only needs two players, Gerrard to launch those long balls, and Owen to chase and hopefully get something out of it.

Then, apart from the 'keeper, he can field anyone he likes including planks like Biscan, Heskey and Diao (when fit). Then, he can also field showboats like Diouf, who can't even hit a barn door nor can he cross the ball properly and yet thinks he can dribble past 2 or more opponents every time. He can also play others out of position like Henchoz at right back, Kewell on the flank and Carragher in any position he fancies. It does not matter that the other players will struggle at their "unfamilliar" positions, because Gerrard as always will run all over the place to compensate for these out-of-position players and launch his long balls to Owen to chase.

Liverpool should win the league eventually with this system...if we play in the Second Division!

What are we fans to do? Houllier will still be around come next season...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:28 am

If I was the manager, I would believe that -financially, utilising and optimalising Baros is more efficient than bringing Cisse in.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:33 am

Woollyback wrote:I think the problem Baros is facing isn't to do with himself, rather that he just doesn't seem to gel with Owen. (Too similar imo). Play Baros up with a big, physical striker (someone like Heskey, only good) and he'd be bagging goals left right & centre. Problem is, that's Owen's position and as much as I like Baros he ain't as good as Owen.

Anybody have fact about this? Owen-Heskey & Owen-Baros, goals per game, who is higher between Heskey and Baros if they coupled with Owen. It will tell.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:42 am

I think Owen-Baros ca gel if the midfielders give them better service.

Heck, even if we have a fully fit and in-form Ronaldo and Raul or Morrientes and Prso or Thierry Henry and Reyes/Bergkamp (take your pick on which is presently the best pairing), they'd still struggle to score because our other players are doing zilch in terms of offensive progress each game and leaving Gerrard to carry both defensive and offensive duties. How much can a man do when all others are relatively passengers?

On top of that, how can we expect Owen to single-handedly score winning goals when his so-called strike partner (especially Heskey) is such a goal-shy forward who spends a lot of time falling on his bum! Under the present Liverpool playing philosophy, Baros doesn't stand a chance to impress, let alone score many goals.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion