Rooney is like van basten ! - Really, fergie?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby marcus.c » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:07 am

It is all about the wonder boy...blah, blah, blah...

Well, I kind of expected it. Okay, Wayne Rooney's double strike against Middlesbrough was a "wake-me-up" sort of thing. Much like a stiff shot of scrotch when you're feeling cold and lonely.

Sure, they were good goals. To lob the keeper from so far out was amazing and then for the volley... it must have hit Boro with the knockout force of a roadhouse punch.

So it was, I expected the accolades to roll like the credits of a Hollywood epic. But I certainly wasn't prepared for Sir Fergie's acclamation. "He reminded me so much of van Basten."

Come on, Mr Ferguson. Rooney and van Basten in the same sentance? Surely you jest. Next you will be telling us that your man can scale tall buildings in a single bound. There is such thing as giving credit where credit's due. And, sure as ever, once in a while we can do with a little praise.

But it must come in measured doses. And comparing Rooney with van Basten is certainly an overdose.

Marco van Basten was the greatest goalscorer of his generation - and it wasn't because of the numbers of goals he scored. It was the quality of those goals and the fact that they came when they were needed and against QUALITY opposition - not against a team like Boro!

Also, pressure seemed nothing to him. It brought out his best. Yet, Mr Ferguson, you saw it fit to compare Rooney's volley with the one the Dutchman scored in the 1988 European Championship final.

What is there to compare?

Let’s go back to that tournament. Van Basten, then 221 was Holland's third choice striker but he scored 5 goals - each more brilliant than the last. Then came the final Holland took on the Soviet Union. The nation's expectation rested on his young shoulders and he lifted them when, from a seemingly impossible angle, he struck a long, looping volley into the Soviet net.

It was a goal will signature. It was sheer class and everyone who saw it said it was one of the best goals scored in international competition.

Now, here we have the Man Utd manager singing Rooney's praises and comparing his strike against Boro with the one the Dutchman scored in a Euro Cup Final.

Come on Mr Ferguson...

What you have right now IS A PRECOCIOUS TERROR WHO. WHEN HE FEELS LIKE IT, CAN PULL A RABBIT FROM THE HAT.

Rooney's good. He can get better. On Sunday, we saw the genie of youth being let loose on a dispirited opponent. Will he able to take that talent further?

In his day, van Basten was graceful, yet powerful and he played soccer like a prima ballerina. Wayne Rooney has yet to learn the basic steps.

So Mr Ferguson, be sparing with your praise. Because if you persist in carrying Rooney on your shoulders while doing a lap of Old Trafford, you could hurt yourself.
marcus.c

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:37 am

marcus.c wrote:Also, pressure seemed nothing to him. It brought out his best. Yet, Mr Ferguson, you saw it fit to compare Rooney's volley with the one the Dutchman scored in the 1988 European Championship final.

What is there to compare?

Let’s go back to that tournament. Van Basten, then 221 was Holland's third choice striker but he scored 5 goals -

221??

lets bring back rush and dalglish, they are no where near that age   :D
112-1077774096

Postby 1234ram » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:10 am

lol now way near to over rated rooney hate him
1234ram

Postby Mikz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:13 pm

??? Van Basten was the greatest ever in my eyes.  I dont see any reason to sing rooneys praises onhere either,we all seen the fat ****** goals.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:23 pm

marcus.c wrote:Let’s go back to that tournament. Van Basten, then 221 was Holland's third choice striker but he scored 5 goals - each more brilliant than the last.

Van Basten was still playing age 221...

Bloody hell, some acheivement, Rooney is just a nipper in comparison
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:26 pm

isn't van basten now the dutch national coach? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Mikz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:26 pm

:D yes
And Klinsmann is Germanys.2 great rival strikers then,and now.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion