Zenden blow for reds - Cue - harry kewell

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kid a » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:48 pm

I don't see this as much of a blow. He's come into some form recently, but there a number of options on the left. Kewell, Riise, Garcia. If I'm to be honest, I would prefer them all to Zenden from what I have seen. He's a good squad player to have at Liverpool, I don't think anyone will disagree. He can do a job, but I don't see him as much more than that. Personally, I don't see him playing much of a part and having many chances at the club after the signing Gonzalez. I see Harry coming good as well, which is why I say that. Two genuine wingers in them, and a wing back in Riise. He won't get a look-in wide anymore. Unless Gerrard or Xabi are sidelined, he's not getting in the midfield as well. I still think it was a goof bit of business signing him, though. I just see things as tough for him after this season.
Kid a

Postby Lionheart » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:33 pm

bigmick wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Another thread to rag Kewell...(how original) :(

With respect Lionheart, the thread is not of the "rag Kewell" variety. You are correct in that here have been too many of those but in this instance, the topic starter actually indicated that this was Harry's big chance.
It's unfortunate TBH that Kewell polarises opinion so much, largely due it seems to me to his nationality. Whenever a discussion on his merits or otherwise sprouts up, all the Aussie boys jump in to defend him. All that's fair enough I guess but our friends down under must appreciate that it's in no way an anti-Australia thing with Harry, it's just that we like blokes to show a bit more passion for the shirt.
I think he's a great player when he's in the mood, capable of changing the game in an instant. I said in my original post that he's not much short of World class when on his game. I can't however forgive professional athletes of any persuasion who can't keep their wieght under control. It may be a struggle for the rest of us to not get the old beer belly but when you're paid extortionate wages to play football, surely it's not asking too much to request that a player stays fit in an aerobic sense. Failure to do so indicates to me a lack of motivation.

Point taken Mick, but with the likes of Big Niall, IMO it was fast descending into another Kewell bashing thread and heaven knows, we don't need another Kewell bashing thread on this forum. There are already a half dozen or so...

I have never seen another player polarise debate like Kewell seems to on this forum and I do appreciate & realise that it's not an ANTI-Aussie 'thing', I wasn't concerned about this. BTW, I'm not here to defend the bloke. I want to see him fire for the reds just as much as the next person here.   

The ball is in Harry's court, he seems to be recovering well from his injuries so it is now up to him. Let's just all hold our collective breath's to see the outcome and hope that it'll be a winner all around for our Reds.   :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:41 am

bigmick wrote:I have already said many times that I rate Kewells ability, but some of our Australian supporters run the risk of rendering themselves unworthy of being taken seriously if they continue to defend Harry under even the most obvious and gentle criticism.

As an Australian I sometimes feel this way, at after certain incidents it is hard to remain unbias, but also I certainly feel obliged to rebuke people that hop on the bar-room banter bandwagon and slag him with retarded logic. Do not pretend that even after it was proved that in-fact he did not fake injury in May, the damage had already been done. We are supposed to be the best supporters in the world.
Personally I admire him for not telling everyone to stfu!!

Sure because we have waited so long for him to show us what hes made of it does get frustrating. 
But also some players need to be nurtured more than others, and Rafa seems to be doing all he can to get his confidence up at the moment.
I believe that Rafa is doing the right thing, maybe he will end up returning to Liverpool standards (keeping in mind that he will have Gonzalas to compete with next season), if not I would at least keep him until next season and sell him after the world cup as he will most likely rise in value hugely.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:30 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
bigmick wrote:Where is the heart, where is the desire, that burning ambition to play for Liverpool? My suspicion is that he has about six weeks to show it or it's curtains.

Carlton Palmer said on saturday, that he doesnt think Harry will still be at Liverpool after January, he said he's got no desire, no hunger to remain at the club, he was saying he is a shadow of the player he was, and he reckoned it was best if both parties parted company in January.
Reports this morning are suggesting that Real Betis and Inter Milan would like to sign Harry.

They can have kewell for all that i care...if they give us joaquin in return.......  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:52 am

I saw the game on Saturday and Harry played very well when he came on, he added a new dimension to the game and showed some lovely touches, he also showed a lot of heat and commitment I thought and wasn't afraid to look for the ball and run at players he even headed clear from our box towards the and of the match. The problem is, some fans have an idea of him won't change no matter how well he plays, he has come back after being plagued by injury and is ready to fight for his place, people need to get behind him and give him the support he needs.

Oh by the way, the hair jokes are gone a bit stale by now.
RedRoots

Postby azriahmad » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:39 am

This injury happened just as he is coming good for us...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:08 am

bigmick wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:Did Kewell say he doesn't have the passion?

No I suspect Kewell has never said that he doesn't have the passion for the club. That said, I never said that he did say it.
I merely pointed out that when a footballer allows himself to get overwieght (a la Robbie Fowler and Neil Ruddock) I think it displays a lack of desire to play to your optimum, and yes a lack of passion for the game.
Now in Harry's case, as he is coming back from a long-term injury few are expecting him to uproot trees as clearly it is going to take time for him to get back to his best. What I do expect though is for him to be slim and athletic. I have already said many times that I rate Kewells ability, but some of our Australian supporters run the risk of rendering themselves unworthy of being taken seriously if they continue to defend Harry under even the most obvious and gentle criticism.

Although he looks heavier, its probably because he's had a groin injury he can't run to stay fit in that department, so he was probably restricted to weights so he may have bulked up in muscle which I spose could make him a more physical presence on the field, if a bit slower as well. He should normalise fairly well. Remember that this is like the start of the season for him after a very long preseason while all the other player have been going for quite a few months.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:46 am

AussieKopite, your constant defending of Kewell is very admirable. If only Kewell himself can muster half of your passion and put this towards applying his trade at Liverpool, most of the guys who slag him off will cheer for him.

He still has a lot to prove in terms of showing passion, heart and effort for Liverpool. He was awesome at Leeds, especially in the season they played until the QF of the CL a couple of years back.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:33 am

azriahmad wrote:AussieKopite, your constant defending of Kewell is very admirable. If only Kewell himself can muster half of your passion and put this towards applying his trade at Liverpool, most of the guys who slag him off will cheer for him.

He still has a lot to prove in terms of showing passion, heart and effort for Liverpool. He was awesome at Leeds, especially in the season they played until the QF of the CL a couple of years back.

I just want to see him be given a chance. He was scoring lots of goals before he got injured. Through the rehab they tried to bring him back too early and too hard. The Champions League final was a joke. He shouldn't have been allowed on the field.

I'm optimistic because it looks like Hiddink and Benitez are working together and showing patience. Seeing those flashes of brilliance against Uruguay and to a lesser extent watching him threaten in his most recent match for LFC against Man City.

I just think his Red future is birght.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:06 pm

it's make or brake for Harry and i'm confident he's going to come good...if he don't, then a future at the likes of Man city is likely to be on the cards....the choice is his
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:43 pm

Getting back to Zenden, i think he was always a good signing and was starting to settle into the playing pattern of the team. This is a huge blow for us as his form will almost certainly dip due to the injury and with the run we're on its a double wammy. I just hope that Kewell dos'nt get injured as well coz i must admit im just waiting for that to happen due to his previous history.
Fingers crossed he'll be fine and will start to repay the club with some consistency and desire that has been missing to date.(An obvious statement!)
I do want kewell to suceed and hope he dosnt go but he's had long enough to prove his worth and time is running out as im sure he knows which should spur him on to produce the goods.
Red squirrel

Postby AussieKopite » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:37 pm

Also, ahs anyone heard any news about the injury Riise seemed to pick up last match against City?
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:31 pm

He was in Comet in Speke before, his birds quite tasty :D
115-1073096938

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:51 pm

stu_the_red wrote:He was in Comet in Speke before, his birds quite tasty :D

When did he get a bird....thought he was a text pest  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura