Can anyone tell me why ? - Houlliers logic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:49 pm

Can anyone out there explain to me Detective Clouseau's descisions last night
QUESTION ,Why play a very poor midfielder who is prone to give the ball away ,on every possible occassion with alarming regularity,in a match that was vital to Liverpools ,season step forward mr Murphy .
QUESTION,Why play a clueless midfielder in defence unless you are taking le rise out of passionate fans
QUESTION,Why not ,and believe me this obviously takes a collosal amount of common sense (NOT),replace a defender with (wait for it) with a defender ie Henchoz
QUESTION,Why take our most vibrant ,brilliant only world class player on whoms shoulders this talentless awkward team has been carried for most of the season and nullify him by moving him into defence.WHY ,ANYONE CLARIFY
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chrys » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:52 pm

puzzle too my friend? ??????
if not houllier then jose mourino
chrys

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:52 pm

Reportedly Owen felt a problem and could have been taken off as a precaution

No idea on Biscan, Henchoz might have done the same thing but we won't ever know

Murphy was not great, then again he isn't really a wide player

The decision not to bring on a defender was baffling simply because Riise is not the best defensively. Carragher for Murphy would have given us the choice of playing three CBs and Riise in midfield or a flat back four
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby staticstranger » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:06 pm

Bayern Munich is dropping hints of getting rid of Ottmar Hitzfield for finishing second domestically and getting knocked out of the CL.  Beckenbauer and Rummenigge would have flushed Houllier down the toilet a long time ago.

"We associate him with great triumphs. But on the other side the status quo isn't very satisfying. No matter what happens, he'll remain the most successful trainer in Bayern Munich's history. He'll always be a 'persona grata' for us." says Rummenigge.

"Hitzfeld, whose side have struggled in the Bundesliga and were knocked out of the Champions League this month, has come under pressure this season as his expensive collection of players have repeatedly failed to live up to expectations."

Some people have the balls to come out and say that the "best trainer in history" of their club is expendable for not getting the job done.  THAT, my fellow LFC supporters, is what I call STANDARDS! 
:angry:
staticstranger

Postby staticstranger » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:06 pm

EXPENSIVE COLLECTION OF PLAYERS
staticstranger

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:02 pm

redbeergoggles i`ll attempt to shed some light on your questioning of houlliers decisions last night, or at least my interpritation of them.
re. question 1....... totally agree with you, murphy is a nearly man, he possesses some technical ability but i cannot see a championship winning midfield having murphy in it. he`s a plodder.
re. question 2.........i think he was trying to compensate for the worrying lack of pace at the back when henchoz and hypia play. though marlet was hardly renouned for his lightening pace at fulham he still left biscan floundering in his slipstream so i think that plan backfired slightly!
re. question 3........my theory on this revolves around the fact steven gerrard legged it over to the bench before hou could bring on a sub. i reckon gerrard knows we are already a cautious side and knowing we had to score volunteered to work both the defence and midfield and try to keep the momentum we had before the sending off (we weren`t doing bad to be honest). you mention why he never swapped a defender for a defender but as biscan was sent of we would have to sacrifice a forward or midfielder for henchoz. we are hardly gung ho with 11 on the pitch so gerrard feared a retreat to our natural  negative approach bieng adopted and knowing we had to get at least one goal tried his best to address the problem.the scheme failed but at least it was a positive step.(and good captaincy)
re. question 4..... see above (i think the lionhearted steven gerrard tried to play in two positions rather than sacrifice what forward thinking players we have, brave, but it never come off. he couldnt defend one minute then attack the next for 60 mins, no one could)

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:13 pm

by the way if anyone is wondering about the name it is derived from my favourite book,(i`ve just noticed a typo on the third letter! damn it should have been a s!)
You can shoot all the blue jays you want, but its a sin to kill a mocking bird.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby big al » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:24 pm

For a very long time on this site I have been asking the same questions, these mistakes have been made over and over again. 
1 Danny murphy is sound lad, but he's a utility player someone who can step in at the 75 minute mark and could open the game up for you. He's a good asset to have but he gives the ball away far too much, dosent tackle well and is very limited in his overall play.  I'd have him on the bench unless a1st division team give a reasonable amout for him.
2  Houllier and God only know why Biscan plays.  I think whatever Houllier sees is only apparent to him, the rest of us sit and wonder and its not just because he was sent off last night I've been crumping about him since I joined this forum in August 2003.  He's the worst palyer that ever played for liverpool, I don't say this lightly.  Because their are so many we could name but not one of them cost so much and give back so little.  I think even poor old Kvarme had a couple of games were he did averagely well.  Since Biscan started to play regulaily in October 2002 we've been s##t.
3 That would be far too easy! Houllier said he had a plan. Now when his plans fail as against Arsenal in the second halve he just has not got the ability to compensate. Houllier is good a sitting down prior to a game and strategising, when he has to think on his feet he's cr#p.
4 Well now I could go on all night about the crappy bench and why we miss Owen so much and have no real proven replacements but I won't.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:56 pm

Your playing away in europe . 1-1 down to ten men still 60 mins to go . Surely you replace the sent off defender with another defender and withdraw Smurphy who seems to think Liverpool are playing in white. Look to catch them on the counter but DON'T concede . If it gets to penalties sub Owen for any Red supporter,(surely they stand as much chance as him ?) . You might not agree with me but was Foolier's plan any better ? :p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kopfanade » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:31 pm

Finnan,Biscan,Traora,Reise,Dioa,Diouf,Murphy,Cherou,Le Tallec,Pongolle. With the obvious exception of well,no one really, should we expect anything less with this shower of s##t to fall back on? Oh and Smicer on the sideline as well god forbid. Ever remember a squad of talentless individuals. Harsh maybe, sick of it, definately.
kopfanade

Postby brian cresswell » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:37 pm

have to agree with woof woof,murphy was awful and should have been sacrificed for henchoz and we should have hoped to pinch a goal or go to penalties.The thing that alarmed me was after biscan got sent off, why did we stop playing football and start hoofing wimbeldon styly high balls into the area for the rest of the game. the first half an hour we were in control of the game playing it around on the ground passages of play that didn,t involve biscan so why did we change when he got sent off
brian cresswell

Postby The_Rock » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:27 am

The fact that Manure & Arsenal have played and won with 10 men just shows how far we are behind them.

We don't even go to each match in the belief that we can beat the opposition. This is the biggest problem  I have of this team under GH. The players don't even remotely look like they can win against decent opposition.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wiped » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:59 pm

Houlier has always sent his teams out to "Not lose" ... instead of sending them out to WIN.

He's is an over cautious , ball-less , fool of a manager who has a distinct lack of being able to play his cards close to his chest ... In the world of Mind Game Management - he's an amatuer ...I'm guessing Poker wouldn't be a strong point with this man.

Please go ... please go .....
wiped
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:03 pm

Well IMO we were winning the game and the tie until Biscan was sent off and everyone knew we would not win the game from there. Houllier had nothing to give and the team seem to have lost all confidence in him and themselves. Houllier blames the ref for the penalty, but for me the red card was the critical part of it. We were the better team up to then and seemed to be full of confidence, that disappeared and was not restored. A good manager would have lifted his team and given them confidence, I would not be confident of winning with three at the back of whom only two could reliably defend!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion