Who will play there last game at anfield - On sunday?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Fri May 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Gerrard got a thigh strain
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri May 13, 2005 4:18 pm

Liverpool released 5 players today. These are:

Otsemobor
Partridge
Smyth
Harrison
Luzi

They have all had their chance to take responsibility and work hard to become LFC players. But they have all failed. Benitez will no longer stand by and accept that the reserves and youth teams collect trash and finishes bottom of their table. He has introduced new training methods and has taken a great interest in our youngsters. And it was long overdue that these lads were released. Several others will follow. Lets hope the youngsters and the reserves at least can make a mid table finish next year. As it is we are producing LOSERS.

And what about the first team? Nothing will happen before May 25th. No point in disrupting the dress room harmony before the final. But afterwards a lot of the established players will swing. Benitez will never accept to finish 40 points off the pace no more. He has got the tactical awareness and the brains to build a top team, and he knows what are lacking. He has made poor players look decent, and he has made good players look better. Now it is time to throw out the underperformers, the trash and the mercenaries. Only players really willing to work hard and win glory will be signed. No more will he accept a team lacking in pace, strenght and basic ball skills.

Cheyrou. Probably given away on a free. He has no future here. Too slow and weak. Not a team player or a fighter. No winner.

Diao. Will leave on a free or a modest fee. Slow and lacking in brains and skills on the ball.

Hyypia. 500k. Will sign for defensive bottom table team. Too slow and lack positioning, brains and ball skills.

Vignal. Free transfer. Rangers or Newcastle? No need for 5 left backs in the squad.

Kirkland. Free/Loan. Any club will struggle to pay his wages so he will go on a free if we can convince a club to take him. I fear we must keep him until his contract expires, or maybe we can get a club to take him on loan.

Dudek. 500k. Will make way for a new 1st choice goalie.

Warnock. Loan/ £ 1 mill. Not a bad player. I think it is 50/50 if he stays/goes. But if we sign a new young left back his time is up. Also depends on Traore's future.

Traore. Will leave if Warnock stays. Could be used in a player + cash bid for Patrice Evra.

Mellor. Free or modest fee. Too slow and weak on the ball to ever make it on the highest level. Could become a useful 1st or 2nd div player if he can find some more pace.

Smicer. Free transfer. Back to france or a bottom table team.

Biscan/Hamann. One of them will leave or both. But I think Benitez would like to hold on to Hamann for one more year.

Diouf. £ 4 mill. Not a team player.

That is 10+ players without a future at anfield. Some people would probably like to add Nunez, Josemi and Pelle to that list. But that is highly unlikely. Pelle is a smart guy. He will maybe not play very much, but I think Benitez finds him a useful person to have around. He has been there, done that. He has one or two things to teach the lads. Nunez has shown gradual improvement, and will be given a full season to prove himself. Same goes for Josemi. He will also be given more time.

On the positive side we have a nucleus of 5-10 players with good skills and a good mentality. If we are to seriously challenge Chelsea and Arsenal next year we need fresh blood. Quality at a reasonable cost.

I do think Benitez is clever on the transfer market. When he first came here he immediately saw that we needed more skills and creativity in midfield. And his two biggest signings have both become important first team players. Actually I think the biggest difference this year from last is our midfields ability to play ball and control games. Also there are a lot more runs from midfield. Last year if we put a cross in the box, there would most likely be only one player there. This year I have noticed a big difference. On occasions I have seen as many as 5 players inside the box, and usually there will be 2-3 players there. Gerrard and Alonso are both good athletes and willing to make deep runs, saomething Murphy, Cheyrou and Hamann never did under Houllier. When Murphy was sold a year back, I instantly knew Benitez was the man. I had become sick and tired his uninspired performances. He was only going through the motions and went missing in all big games. This was for me unacceptable. He was small and slow and poor on the ball. In short he lost us points.

Benitez is a team builder. He will sign team players. Big ego MF's will never find a place at anfield as long as he is in charge. That is why Owen and Diouf won't return. That is why he maybe won't sign the biggest "stars" either. I think the recent transfer roumors confirms this.

For me Boa Morte looks a perfect Benitez player. Very hard working team player with good mentality. That is what we wan't isn't it? Players going that extra mile for the team and supporters. Boa Morte is also used to premiership football, and won't be overly expensive. A quality signing in my books. Unfortunately Warnock may go the other way.

Reina. A pair of safe hands is a must in any team. Reina has been playing well for 3 years now and is ready for the elite. Carson looks promising, but he needs more time to prepare himself.

Andrade. The need for more pace and ball skills will put one or two defenders top of Benitez shopping list in the summer. I find Andrade a high probability signing. Proven quality, strong, quick, safe and reliable. Will improve our team massively and allow us to push the back line higher up in the field without being terrorized by the opponents.

Kapo. Right winger. On loan with buy option?

Benitez will sign 3-6 in addition to this if he can get the financing bit straightened out. Andrade, Boa Morte and Reina will cost us around £ 15 mill. And we need maybe £ 20 millions more to really turn things around. Lets face it there will be no Joaquin or Vicente here next year. They are both too expensive, and Chelsea will initiate a bidding war, if a club moves for Joaquin.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 13, 2005 4:24 pm

ariff wrote:i think Dudek,Riise,Hyppia,Biscan,Gerrard,Alonso,Nunez,Garcia,Morientas and Baros will play the last game at anfield...I think it'll happen as i thought.

:censored: off bitter
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Fri May 13, 2005 4:44 pm

Ok, with Banana's comments being highly critical of the first teams performance in the league this season, its not unreasonable to suggest that being 90+ to win the title this season was a monstrous effort by the BS in London, and to be honest, the way the game is nowadays, that's probably the last time we will see a huge points differential. The lads lacked spark after huge european games, it suited us more. We are a totally new club in Europe, we defend, we attack, we are massive in our efforts. The thing that Rafa needs to improve on is the effort on homesoil. We suck when it comes to fairly easy games, (Crystal Palace springs to mind) and its been like this for a few years now. Southampton, Tottenham, Sunderland, have all been bogey teams, and we got to up the ante at home and abroad if we are seriously thinking about the title.
That being said, Chelsea's squad was vastly superior this season than anyone's. They had too many players to choose from, whereas we needed ours to keep from being injured. Which is probably why we approached games with no urgency or spirit. We need to bolster and get rid of dead wood. But let's make sure we get our fair share of players too.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 13, 2005 5:09 pm

banana wrote:Liverpool released 5 players today. These are:

Otsemobor
Partridge
Smyth
Harrison
Luzi

They have all had their chance to take responsibility and work hard to become LFC players. But they have all failed. Benitez will no longer stand by and accept that the reserves and youth teams collect trash and finishes bottom of their table. He has introduced new training methods and has taken a great interest in our youngsters. And it was long overdue that these lads were released. Several others will follow. Lets hope the youngsters and the reserves at least can make a mid table finish next year. As it is we are producing LOSERS.

I see what you saying Banana, but saying that they havent taken responsiblity or worked hard is a bit ignorant.

But I agree that we have let to many youth/reserve players build up.

O.K, Warnock has shown he has the abilty to be a good leftback, but he wasn't given the chance before.

Players like Partridge and Mellor cannot be considered youngsters anymore, they are 24 and 22. I think Arsenel have a very good policy where if you havent broken into the first team squad by the age of 21 then you are released.

But I must admit I am disapointed that Otsemober was released even though we knew it was going to happen. I thought he really had abilty, commited, pacey, tall, stong and agile, his only weekness was his immatuity in defense. He reminded of a young Ashely Cole, who only 2 years ago was seen as a week link in the Arsenal and England teams, but given the time and faith to mature the defensive side of his game has developed into a top player.
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Fri May 13, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri May 13, 2005 5:41 pm

I think Liverpool need to bring a policy like that to the light, only bring it up a year to 22!

Were did you hear this news that Liverpool have released all these players Banana? Also, I think your views on the senior players are ludacris. I would be down right idiotic to let all those players go for free. We could get:

Cheyrou. Probably given away on a free. He has no future here. Too slow and weak. Not a team player or a fighter. No winner.

We could get at least £1 million for him, most likely from a lower table French side.

Diao. Will leave on a free or a modest fee. Slow and lacking in brains and skills on the ball.

Again, we could get around £1 million for him from a lower table EPL team or someone from France.

Hyypia. 500k. Will sign for defensive bottom table team. Too slow and lack positioning, brains and ball skills.

Pssst, £500,000 for Hyypia? We could get a hell of a lot more than that!

Vignal. Free transfer. Rangers or Newcastle? No need for 5 left backs in the squad.

Again, we could get about £1.5 million for him.

Kirkland. Free/Loan. Any club will struggle to pay his wages so he will go on a free if we can convince a club to take him. I fear we must keep him until his contract expires, or maybe we can get a club to take him on loan.

We could get £2 million for Kirkland easily.

Dudek. 500k. Will make way for a new 1st choice goalie.

We would also get around £1 - 1.5 million for Dudek.

Warnock. Loan/ £ 1 mill. Not a bad player. I think it is 50/50 if he stays/goes. But if we sign a new young left back his time is up. Also depends on Traore's future.

Couldn't agree more on this one!

Traore. Will leave if Warnock stays. Could be used in a player + cash bid for Patrice Evra.

I like that idea.

Mellor. Free or modest fee. Too slow and weak on the ball to ever make it on the highest level. Could become a useful 1st or 2nd div player if he can find some more pace.

Agree on that one too although I would go as far as 2nd division lol.

Smicer. Free transfer. Back to france or a bottom table team.

Think we could get around £1 million.

Biscan/Hamann. One of them will leave or both. But I think Benitez would like to hold on to Hamann for one more year.

Agree.

Diouf. £ 4 mill. Not a team player.

Agree.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 13, 2005 5:45 pm

Vignal and Smicer are both leaving on free transfers.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri May 13, 2005 6:07 pm

Ok, take them out of the equation then. Not suprised Vignal is going on a free if its to the 'Gers lol!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri May 13, 2005 9:27 pm

Steven Gerrard will miss Sunday's final game of the season against Aston Villa with a minor thigh injury.
With the Champions League final less than two weeks away manager Rafa Benitez is not prepared to take chances with the fitness of his players for a league game with little riding on it.

Midfielder Luis Garcia also has a thigh problem and will also have the weekend off as the Reds look to end their league campaign with a victory.

With the match meaningless in terms of the challenge for fourth place, Benitez has admitted he will make changes to his team with one eye on the final with AC Milan.

Benitez said: "Gerrard is definitely out tomorrow. He has a thigh muscle problem and won't be playing.

"We might make other changes as well. Maybe we'll leave another key player out. It depends on the positions. Sometimes you have two players challenging for one place and that makes it easier to switch them from game to game.

"We know that fourth place is impossible now but I want the players to give a good performance on Sunday. We want to end with a win for our fans before we go and play the final.

"I'm not thinking a lot about the final at the moment. My idea is to look at the next game because I know we'll have more than a week to prepare properly for Istanbul."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat May 14, 2005 3:16 am

I suggested the unlikely line up as I don't want any of our CL final team getting injured!!! (And I believe there's only about £120k difference between 5th and 6th.) Plus we are definately in Europe next season as we were runners up in CC to Sh*tski, who'll be in the CL. Up the 'pool! :;):

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat May 14, 2005 4:01 am

(And I believe there's only about £120k difference between 5th and 6th

Who gives a sh1t? Does pride mean anything these days? It's bad enough that Everton are above us, so I certainly wouldn't want Bolton to finish the season above us as well.

We need to field the strongest players possible who are fit, Villa have nothing to play for and neither do we so I doubt that there will be a "physical" match that will lead to major injuries.
Last edited by A.B. on Sat May 14, 2005 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion