Pako - An insight

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kenco » Mon May 02, 2005 6:23 pm

a liverpool triumph over chelsea in the champions league would save a erratic season.
but according to one senior member of rafa benitez's coaching team,even european glory won't be enough to deflect attention from a dissapointing campaign.
assistant manager pako ayesteran admits his introduction to english football has fallen well short of the immaculate standards he and benitez expects.
"iv'e had meetings with clubs in the past where people have tried to paper over the cracks, iv'e never agreed with that," says ayesteran.
"we're not happy with this season.someone who works at the club told me how fantastic it is that we've reached the semi-final of the champions league for the first time in twenty years and also reached fifth in the league.
"i told him i don't think its fantastic at all.not for liverpool.you can't say that,even if you analsye the injuries. i'm not happy about the season.i've told he boss i think the season has been poor.
"at the same time,i think it's crazy because we have a similar points tally this year as last."
crazier still, many will argue,is the possibility of such an inconsistant liverpool side becoming eurpean champions.
such a title is benitez's ultimate ambition,yet there is an unshakeable sense from his closest ally that winning this year would provide bitter sweet satisfaction.
it's almost as if european success would be a final pay-off for a soon-to-be rebuilt squad before the real work of creating a genuine superpower at home and abroad continues.
"the squad the staff and the board and all the workers here know the club is not ready to take up the challenge on all front's" says ayesteran.
"the squad dosen't have enough. in general,we know we're not ready.
"how long it will take depends a lot on important decisions which will effect the future.we may be ready in one year or perhaps just six months. it depends on the players we bring in,but that depends on the money we have.
"that may also depend on whether were in the champions league. it also depends on whether investment comes. all this will influence things.
"all we can do is take decisions.
"it's an easy decision to go to the shops, but its hard when you don't have your wallet with you.
"at the same time we are very optimistic.we are sure we will be stronger next year. our work will be better."
"the most important thing at all clubs is the squad, not the starting eleven," he says "teams like liverpool and chelsea, real madrid and milan expect to compete in every competition. they want to win all four competitions they enter.you can't do this with just eleven players.
"if you make four changes in one game but it's not enough to win against crystal palace or birmingham, the problem isn't the changes, it's the is the squad doesn't have enough.
" if you have a business and have twenty workers,i don't know any boss who'll say to ten of those workers you can go home because i won't use you.you have to use all your workers.
"they are paid to work.in valencia we would make six changes from the side in la liga to the one in the uefa cup. we won la liga and we won the eufa cup.sso the problem is not the changes,but the squad.
"we are liverpool and we want to win all four competitions, but this season it's been impossible.

quotes from liverpool echo 27th april 2005.
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon May 02, 2005 6:30 pm

I read this last week and was very pleased with the attitude.

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10173

Houllier made a lot of excuses when it was obvious things were not right, he was kidding the fans and he was kidding himself.

[/quote]"iv'e had meetings with clubs in the past where people have tried to paper over the cracks, iv'e never agreed with that,"[quote]

Fantastic quote, things are not right, and the management team are not happy with AVERAGE, there not happy just plodding along, they want progression and they know things need to change in a major way if we are to achieve this.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon May 02, 2005 6:41 pm

You only get this kind of attitude from true CHAMPIONS....WINNERS which is what Benítez and his team are....

I am not surprised they are not happy, it's absolutely the correct attitude to have for a club like ours....
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Indian » Mon May 02, 2005 6:49 pm

Great article.  Lets hope that Benitez gets the money he needs.  The worrying thing is, i can't see us qualifying for the Champions League next season unless we win it and Uefa give us the 'fifth' place.  It will be a critical summer in LFC's future, i hope Rick Parry & Co can find the right investors and the money is spent wisely.
Red Indian

Postby Paul C » Mon May 02, 2005 9:58 pm

I like Pako, he seems a pretty honest person from the interviews i've read, everything is correct :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion