Steven gerrard officail interview

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:43 am

I think hes staying, when I heard the BBC interview last week and Carra, now this I think hes going to pledge his future to us at the end of the season, as long as we qualify for the Champion league, come on lads.

GERRARD: I AM FULLY COMMITTED TO LFC
Steve Hunter 26 March 2005 
  Steven Gerrard has underlined his 100 per cent commitment to Liverpool and says rumours about a supposedly done deal with Chelsea is just absolute rubbish. 
Gerrard has told fans not to believe everything they read in newspapers and wants to put the record straight that he has not signed a deal with any other club and is as committed to Liverpool Football Club as he has ever been.

The Liverpool captain says the constant speculation about his future throughout this season has been ridiculous and says he still wants to be successful with his boyhood team.

In a passionate interview the Liverpool captain wants to reassure fans that despite what has been written and said elsewhere he wants to help Rafael Benitez build a successful team.

Gerrard said: "I held a press conference last summer to say I was staying and the situation hasn't changed since then. I can tell you for a fact the suggestion I've already made up my mind to leave Liverpool and I've done a deal to join another club is absolute rubbish. There's no deal for me to go anywhere and I've not even been thinking about that.

"There has been a lot of rubbish written about me this season and it's getting ridiculous. There are people out there whom I've never even met assuming they know what I think.

"Sometimes I feel I'm in a no-win situation. No doubt in Sunday's papers someone somewhere will misinterpret this but if I say nothing, then you'll have some fans saying 'Gerrard hasn't denied it, so it must be true'.

"On the one hand I want to put the record straight and let the fans know they shouldn't believe everything they're hearing about me. On the other, I know everything I say is being interpreted to mean one thing or another.

"It gets to the point where you wonder if you should do interviews, but I've always been honest in everything I've said. If I responded every time a rumour was printed about me I would spend all my time denying I had decided to go. How many times do I have to say it?"

Gerrard says he will sit down at the end of the situation and discuss the future with Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez but believes the club are headingin the right direction.

Gerrard said: "All I've been concentrating on since I decided to stay last summer was being successful with Liverpool, making sure we qualify for the Champions League next year and going as far as we can in the Champions League this year.

"The last thing I want to to do is leave this club because I want us to be challenging for honours every season. At the end of the season I'll be sitting down with the manager and talking about the future, but until then all of us are trying to just focus on doing the best for the club and making sure we qualify for the Champions League."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:16 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I think hes staying, when I heard the BBC interview last week and Carra, now this I think hes going to pledge his future to us at the end of the season, as long as we qualify for the Champion league, come on lads.

GERRARD: I AM FULLY COMMITTED TO LFC
Steve Hunter 26 March 2005 
  Steven Gerrard has underlined his 100 per cent commitment to Liverpool and says rumours about a supposedly done deal with Chelsea is just absolute rubbish. 
Gerrard has told fans not to believe everything they read in newspapers and wants to put the record straight that he has not signed a deal with any other club and is as committed to Liverpool Football Club as he has ever been.

The Liverpool captain says the constant speculation about his future throughout this season has been ridiculous and says he still wants to be successful with his boyhood team.

In a passionate interview the Liverpool captain wants to reassure fans that despite what has been written and said elsewhere he wants to help Rafael Benitez build a successful team.

Gerrard said: "I held a press conference last summer to say I was staying and the situation hasn't changed since then. I can tell you for a fact the suggestion I've already made up my mind to leave Liverpool and I've done a deal to join another club is absolute rubbish. There's no deal for me to go anywhere and I've not even been thinking about that.

"There has been a lot of rubbish written about me this season and it's getting ridiculous. There are people out there whom I've never even met assuming they know what I think.

"Sometimes I feel I'm in a no-win situation. No doubt in Sunday's papers someone somewhere will misinterpret this but if I say nothing, then you'll have some fans saying 'Gerrard hasn't denied it, so it must be true'.

"On the one hand I want to put the record straight and let the fans know they shouldn't believe everything they're hearing about me. On the other, I know everything I say is being interpreted to mean one thing or another.

"It gets to the point where you wonder if you should do interviews, but I've always been honest in everything I've said. If I responded every time a rumour was printed about me I would spend all my time denying I had decided to go. How many times do I have to say it?"

Gerrard says he will sit down at the end of the situation and discuss the future with Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez but believes the club are headingin the right direction.

Gerrard said: "All I've been concentrating on since I decided to stay last summer was being successful with Liverpool, making sure we qualify for the Champions League next year and going as far as we can in the Champions League this year.

"The last thing I want to to do is leave this club because I want us to be challenging for honours every season. At the end of the season I'll be sitting down with the manager and talking about the future, but until then all of us are trying to just focus on doing the best for the club and making sure we qualify for the Champions League."

put that in ya pipe and smoke it cheski you mafia ba$tards. :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:26 pm

this is great news, when cole claimed mourinho had already signed gerrard i feared the worst.
at least now we still have a chance of keeping him.
gerrard is a great player, and i mean great. of all the midfielders i`ve seen at anfield i`d only rate graeme souness as better, and as much as i liked the likes of case, mcdermott, whelan and mcmahon the were not as complete players as gerrard.
plus they all played in a great side which helps, if one of those players had a quiet game no one noticed because we still won. plus gerrard is still a young lad, when we bought mcmahon he had learnt his trade at everton and villa.
you always tend to look back with rose tinted glasses, its only when you retire you get your proper respect a la ronnie whelan - who was targeted by the boo boys for years late on in his career.
in twenty years time we`ll all be telling younger members of this forum that steven gerrard had the lot, and that he won the lot too as captain of liverpool football club.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:30 pm

Good news that. :)
jonnymac1979

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:49 pm

Great to hear, a lot of people have been saying that Gerrard should just come out and say 'I am not going to Chelsea'
Well he's done it :)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:53 pm

good to hear, lets hope the glam of Champions league footie will do it and hope we finish 4th so we can build on this expirence for next year and become an established Champions league team!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:57 pm

to me it doesn't make sense gerrard leaving in the summer anyway. how can you only give a new manager one season to turn us into a major force again? gerrard knew last summer when he did a major u turn that it would take at least 2-3 seaons for benitez to build a side capable of challenging. he also stated his desire for us to be in the champions league and to attract 2-3 world class players. well we've brought in xabi alonso and morientes and are in the quarter finals of the champions league.

we are moving in the right direction. next season, unlike this one when we have had the biggest list of injuries since the civil war, should see us improve again.
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:57 pm

Good news however I remember when Owen kept saying that he was close to signing a new contract with us and look what happened.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:30 pm

If i was in his situation, i'd turn round and flattly deny it.

Carragher shown his commitment saying he'd never leave aslong as the club wanted him, Gerrard should do the same.

How can "theres no way i'm leaving this club ever, i love more than any other and it would mean more to me to even play here than to win anything anywhere else" be twisted?

I'm sorry but it can't.
115-1073096938

Postby Judge » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:17 am

perhaps some of you people have indeed logged onto lfc.tv site and seen SG comments, so like i said b4, he is staying.  woohoo

i apologise if ive repeated anyone else's sentiments

so with that in mind, perhaps some of the doom merchants will now SHUT UP!!
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:53 pm

was talkin to david fairclough at my station yesterday and he said all the old players were having a talk about stevie the other night and all seem pretty confident that he's staying, can only be god news for Lfc
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion