Have the courage to change what you can

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby y cymro » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:28 pm

HAVE THE COURAGE TO CHANGE WHAT YOU CAN
Some recent posts are more interesting as they consider what we can change for the better:
Whether selling SG for a good price at the end of the season is best for the long term future of Liverpool ........................ a fair question and a close call. You can only really decide if you are on the “inside” at the club, but I  sometimes worry that he wants to run the club rather than give 100% as a player. i.e. decide on who plays, take all free kicks etc. (ala Shearer at Newcastle – this is not healthy). Also I am also not sure how much he does to help team spirit, as in the awful last year of GHs reign. I think that with some of the money from such a sale we might be able to buy 2 good quality players. If he is sold, I have faith that RB will make sound purchases.

New GB players............................................................  I think that there are good players around that can contribute to a re shaped team and that would not cost the earth. As I have said in earlier posts that Boupa Dioup (central mid/ in front of defence), Simon Davies (width in midfield), and Danny Gabbidon (pace in defence) would fit the bill. Their recent displays have only underlined my views. (Although I never hear of Rafa attending other midweek games to look at players). [….already I can imagine the responses “not good enough for Liverpool!!” ….hmmm].

Players we should sell in the summer...................................
Obviously RB has to support some of his players. He wants to get the best out of them until the summer period. I feel sure that Biscan, Diaou, Mellor (sadly), and Smicer will go. Whether Hamman and Hyppia should be added to this list will depend on the next few weeks and finances available to rebuild (which may depend on whether SG is sold or not. There are a handful of others that I am not sure about because either they are
too young or inexperienced. (Le Tallec);
too unpredictable (Kewell);
have temprement/attitude problems (Diouf);
they have not been seen (Diarra); or
they were not given a fair crack of the whip (Cheyrou).
At present Cheyrou is the best of the French/Senegal players that GH signed. I would have brought him back from loan on the basis that he is better than several of those in or around the first eleven.
A thought to finish… form is temporary – class is permanent – Liverpool FC is class. And WE WILL BE BACK.
y cymro

Postby The_Rock » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:26 am

We certainly need better player than  Boupa Dioup ..thats for sure.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby y cymro » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:11 pm

No that's not for sure - its just your poor misguided and unsubstantiated view. Go directly to the under 12s Liverpool chatroom where your views can find their natural audience.:p
y cymro

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:41 pm

to sell gerrard and bring in boupa dioup would be a backward step. boupa dioup whilst not bad certainly isnt in gerrards class.
the other two are not going to turn us into title winners either in my opinion.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:49 pm

If we are going to sell Gerrard then the replacement should be Aimar. He is still sitting on Valencia's bench and with the money  we could purchase him along with a defender and winger.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby y cymro » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:10 pm

We need to build a better team. If SG was sold (and I am not saying he should be) - the point I was making is that SOME of the money  could be used for the GB players ("not costing the earth")that I mention. For example Gabbidon is a class player with good defensive qualities as well as SPEED, skill etc. He would be ideal as one half of a centre back partnership All three are far better than some of those we have now, and would help address specific weaknesses in the ptresent team. They can therefore strengthen the team / squad.I did not say sell Gerrard and buy Boupa Dioup on his own.
As I said RB is more than able to ID one or two top quality players in addition to the GB players I mention. He knowsfar more about Euro players than i do. :blues:
y cymro

Postby A.B. » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:54 pm

In order for us to ever think about seriously challenging the top three in the Premiership and the Champions League we need to sign World Class players. Papa Boupa Dioup is Premiership class not World Class, he will do us no good.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:25 am

What's the point in talking about Diop? It's rediculous. You said yourself that form is temp., class is perminant and you want to bring in a player who you can't possibley have seen a whole season's worth from. Why aren't Chelski, Man Ure and @rse talking about him? Because he isn't good enough. With Rafa's scope of the Spanish market, I would rather see Aimar, Baraja or Xavi come in than Diop. And if we're looking at Fulham players, I'd rather have Malbranqe (or however you spell it). It's a step back and I'm not just saying that in the "Liverpool are the best so they should have the biggest names" sense, but because he would offer nothing to the team. He's had a couple of good games, and that is no basis to buy a player. If he's better net season, I'll be surprised, but I'd also have a look.

???
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:53 am

Taking a lok at the players Benitez has brought in so far I would imagine there are few complaints regarding Alonso and Morientes, the jury is stilk out on Garcia and there seems little doubt that Pellagrino is for the short term only. This leaves Nunez who many would argue is not up to teh required standard.

Thats not bad transfer dealings so far and you have to believe Benitez wil but the right players given his form so far.

IF Gerrard goes and we fail to get 4th spot the shortfall as a result of not making the CL is estaimnated to be around 25 M.

The real priblem this season has been trying to work out WHICH liverpool team are going to turn up and 10 Defeats so far affirm that unfortunately. ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:07 am

Up till now the squad was picked it self because of injuries giving new players and old players no time to gell with one another. Gerrard comes back and Alonso gets injured, the partnership in the central midfield never really got going.

Partnership up front has been chaning constanty because of injuries. We started with Baros and Cisse at the begining of the season which didn't work very well. When Cisse got injured Baros partnered up with Garcia,Mellor,Pongolle and now he's with Morientes.

The only positions that haven't changed are the centerback positions.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion