Steven gerrard. - How about that?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:21 am

After the lengthly debate last week about whether we should cash in on our captain, how much he was worth, who we could buy with the money and how much we would have to pay them etc etc I thought it was time to reflect on Stevies performance yesterday. Personally, given thet he isn't 100%, I thought his performance was absolutely awesome.
Before anyone jumps in with accusations I've got to get this in, I NEVER SAID WE SHOULD SELL GERRARD. Please read this before any slagging takes place, not that I mind getting slagged, it just saves time.
Anyhow Stevie played in an unfamiliar role and his pace, power, and athleticism were a sight to behold. Arsenal simply couldn't handle him. This allied to the most beautiful, subtle and sublime little pass you'd ever see is what makes him IMHO the most valuble midfield player in the World at the moment. Should we sell? No. If we had no choice and could get a bidding war going, how much? 50 million. Seriously.
Tell me a midfield player in Europe that could do what he did yestersay. Exactly.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:23 am

bigmick wrote:After the lengthly debate last week about whether we should cash in on our captain, how much he was worth, who we could buy with the money and how much we would have to pay them etc etc I thought it was time to reflect on Stevies performance yesterday. Personally, given thet he isn't 100%, I thought his performance was absolutely awesome.
Before anyone jumps in with accusations I've got to get this in, I NEVER SAID WE SHOULD SELL GERRARD. Please read this before any slagging takes place, not that I mind getting slagged, it just saves time.
Anyhow Stevie played in an unfamiliar role and his pace, power, and athleticism were a sight to behold. Arsenal simply couldn't handle him. This allied to the most beautiful, subtle and sublime little pass you'd ever see is what makes him IMHO the most valuble midfield player in the World at the moment. Should we sell? No. If we had no choice and could get a bidding war going, how much? 50 million. Seriously.
Tell me a midfield player in Europe that could do what he did yestersay. Exactly.

he is a class act, we should pull all the stops to keep him. i like the interview after the game when he got @rsey when the interviewer suggested that we are looking for fourth spot
112-1077774096

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:31 am

In fairness, I think that people like Stu were not really claiming that we sell Gerrard and cash in, but that if he wanted to go and we had no choice in selling him, then there would be a silver lining to the cloud in that we'd have a lot of money to spend.

(correct me if I'm wrong Stu!)

Looking at the core of yesterday's midfield: Gerrard, Alonso and an on-song Hamman, gives heart to Liverpool supporters as even Arsenal, Chelsea and Man UTD would struggle to contain that trio. If we can hold on to our best players and add some more quality up front, on the flanks and at the back, then we'd be as good as anyone. Hopefully we'll see more consistancy now, as Stevie himself said after the match, it would be pointless beating Arsenal if we lose our next league game.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:35 am

There seemed to be certain people who keep suggesting that Gerrerd will either be a Real Madrid Galactico or Chelski's highest paid player next season and even Wenger got in on the act by saying that whomever Chelski want, they usually get sooner or later and that Gerrard mey be headed there next season.

Whatever it is, we should avoid another Owen episode where we get peanuts. It is down to Gerrard but it is reasonable to expect that he wants to win the big thropies - the EPL title and the CL - and that he needs to be convinced that Liverpool will get there sooner rather than for him to go to another club. This is the massive task at Liverpool, to convince him and try to keep him.

It is beyond just money now for him.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:37 am

i still dont think he will want to go. he can see the changes that are happening. we were without a fair few first team players and still made arsenal look below average. why leave? he can see that with him and xabi the futures bright
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:46 am

bigmick wrote:... Stevie played in an unfamiliar role and his pace, power, and athleticism were a sight to behold. Arsenal simply couldn't handle him ...

Unfamiliar? He looked born for the free-roaming role. Awesome display seeing him compared face-to-face to Vieira...I am sure Real will want to sink their dirty hand from Viera to Gerrard now, but yesterday's performance must have added another £10M to his price tag.
Delighted to see out midfield trio of Gerrard-Hamann-Alonso clicked so well. All honest professional, I am sure playing together will raise their individual game to another notch.
We should do our all to keep Stevie here but if he desires to leave, the bidding war will have to start at £50M and no less...
Last edited by Santa on Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:48 am

dawson, if Chelsea wins the EPL and we finish fourth still or no better, Gerrard will be thinking that "I will be 25 next season, this is the right time to move because clearly the club is not progressing as well as I thought and Chelsea are really keen and have a very good squad. I have a very good chance of winning major honours with Chelsea."

He'd be off like a shot provided Liverpool agree a fee for him. I would not begrudge him if he goes as long as he does not do an Owen on us. A footballer's carrer is a retively short one and he should be free to go if he thinks it suit him better. We should not villify him as he has been a great servant to Liverpool.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:58 am

have you heard the way he speaks about Benitez?
he knows how great he is. he was sayin the other day that he knows Benitez will get us back on top.

unless we do dreadful and put ourselves way further back than before (which i dont think will happen) Gerrard will stay.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:36 am

I hope so, Jim.

While it is true that no one player is indespensible, we have felt the effects of influential players leaving the club. I remembered that Liverpool struggled in 1984/85 season after Graeme Souness left after the treble high in 1983/84 with the League Championship, the European Cup and the League Cup. He wanted to try the Italian League and we really struggled in the first half of the year where once we were 3rd from last but rallied to finish second behind Everton and still reached the European Cup final in Heysel against Juve and lost to a sole penalty scored by Platini.

This present team is, subjectively speaking, weaker than the class of 84/85 and that is why Gerrard is so influential even though (in my humble opinion he has not developed into the then Graeme Souness class as of yet) and I'd hate to see my fav club experiencing that again.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:40 am

i think stevie g can see the prgression we are making. i think i blind kid in mongolia can see the progression we are making in all honesty
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:43 am

Stevie wants to be at a club winning the league, and CL, it is going to take Benitez 2 to 3 years till we are at that level, with the right players and the right attitude.
Will Stevie stay and give us that time?
I doubt it, even though theres not another club on this planet hed want to win them honours with.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:48 am

In fairness, I think that people like Stu were not really claiming that we sell Gerrard and cash in, but that if he wanted to go and we had no choice in selling him, then there would be a silver lining to the cloud in that we'd have a lot of money to spend.

(correct me if I'm wrong Stu!)

Looking at the core of yesterday's midfield: Gerrard, Alonso and an on-song Hamman, gives heart to Liverpool supporters as even Arsenal, Chelsea and Man UTD would struggle to contain that trio. If we can hold on to our best players and add some more quality up front, on the flanks and at the back, then we'd be as good as anyone. Hopefully we'll see more consistancy now, as Stevie himself said after the match, it would be pointless beating Arsenal if we lose our next league game.

Stevie played upfront yesterday. What a game he had.

And to correct you....

I was simply making the point that its an option to raise funds and strengthen the squad and i think its foolish to dismiss it without a thought.

I stand by this, i've never once said he's a bad player... He simply isn't, he's practically world class. But no player is irreplaceable and 4 class players is better than 1 world class player.

If we can't get the funds from elsewhere, i'd be suprised if he doesn't go in the summer.
115-1073096938

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:00 pm

gotta say i was swayin more towards this way of thinkin up until his latest interview, where he defiantly claimed that Benitez is the man thats gonna do it for Liverpool. i think what the players see behind closed doors, and on the training pitch ( have a general idea of whats goin on) is the real reason why the players will have faith in him (Benitez). i'm now startin to think that Gerrard has his faith in Benitez.

i think out of the 2 options he's got which are

1: instant success at another club

2: future success (not too far in the future) at his home and beloved club

he'd want the latter.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:43 pm

You have it right Jim, his interviews sound very positive !
He also looked very comfortable in midfield with Alonso, they seem to have compatible styles.
I think he is in for the long haul !! My bet is he will sign a new deal before the end of the season, killing all speculation as it begins to mount towards the summer !!  :)  :)
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:24 pm

Anyone notice the colour of gerrard's boots ?

Still think he wants a move from here  :cool:

My opinion is to keep Gerrad here as long as possible. A half fit gerrard can scare the living daylights of arsenal. Who can stop him if he is fully fit ?

Forget old farts like zidane & figo. Forget the cheat viera. Gerrard is the best complete midfielder in the world.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion