Atalanta (3) Vs Liverpool (0) 18/04 Ko 20:00 2nd Leg EL

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm

Doeboy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 pm wrote:Our squad isn't upto it over the course of a season and think Klopp knows it. Infant I think he has massively over achieved to have us challenging for the league with this squad.
If we were offered a Caraboa cup in the bag and being 2 points off of the top of the table with 6 games to go at the start of the season, then we would have all took that. The quad was ambitious, but not really a reality with the injuries we've had.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:24 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 pm wrote:Our squad isn't upto it over the course of a season and think Klopp knows it. Infant I think he has massively over achieved to have us challenging for the league with this squad.
If we were offered a Caraboa cup in the bag and being 2 points off of the top of the table with 6 games to go at the start of the season, then we would have all took that. The quad was ambitious, but not really a reality with the injuries we've had.

Yep agreed. Thought of being without Klopp next season is filling me with dread because without him, I don't think we would be competing the way we are.
Doeboy

Postby damjan193 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm wrote:I don't know why I get my hopes up even though I've known it for a while, this team is done for the season.

Who I won't miss when Klopp and his team leave is whoever is our conditioning coach.
Yep, how do we just fall apart at this stage of the season every year. City never stopped running for 120 minutes last night and were playing and pressing at a quicker rate than we have at any stage of the season. The game tonight showed how much we missed that Fab/Hendo/Gini midfield who would have died for the club.

Exactly. Looking at City last night I thought well damn, they must rotate more then us to have this sort of energy but no, in fact their players have played more minutes than ours! I checked, they have about 8 or 9 players with 3000 minutes + (Rodri 3600 minutes, Ruben Dias 3500 minutes, Walker 3200, Silva 3100, Foden 3700, Haaland 3300, and a few others with similar numbers) while we have only about 4 (van Dijk with 3500 minutes being the biggest, MacAllister, Gomez and Diaz being the other 3 with something lower). Now I know this isn't complete as I don't have the stats of how much running us and them have done, but I'm sure they've ran more than us tbh.

I agree with what is being said, we overachieved this season, no body expected us to be challenging for the title, but still, being so good and then suddenly falling apart isn't something that we should just accept.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 pm

Though his ability was questionable, I think Henderson as a captain was better than VVD, and Gerrard. I thought SG was easy too quiet on the pitch, for the record. And VVD is as quiet as a mouse. Maybe he has checked out of the club as well, in his head. Salah looks like he has.
It's hard, almost impossible, to buy in a player, make him a captain, and expect him to hold players to account. They should all be doing that to each other in fact. But there was nothing of that ilk tonight.
In the second half, the game was crying out for one or two to just kick a couple of players up the hole and call for a bit of urgency. And creativity.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:49 pm

Imo we seem to have lost some fire after losing against scum in FA cup. Odd how we were somehow playing better when players were out injured or during Afcon.

Also someone mentioned it but have to admit Gini,Hendo,Milner in middle were underrated. Hendo and Milly were great leaders on the pitch and as Bungle said VVD does seem laid back.

Today's game we were tactically nullified, we looked bang average, devoid of ideas. Looks like everyone is already planning for post season holidays, like we've got nothing to play for.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am

That miss of Mo’s was a big moment, if that goes in their @rses would have carried imo
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 am

We can have no complaints about losing that as all we could muster up was one scabby penalty in 180 minutes.

Thought we were just really poor over both legs tbh. No real threat to them at all and their tactics where spot on. We have far to many who don't show up in big games and it's not good enough at this level.

We got the perfect start and should have went in 2 up at HT. The 2nd half was terrible tbh. We countered at them and forced an error where the CH put it out for a throw around 10 metres from the corner flag and we somehow ended up with it back at Alison and he's getting up to 10 touches. It's all the time and no point in complaining about the low block when you allow them 10 men behind the ball every attack. It's painful watching us crawl up and down the pitch in a sideways motion.

Anyway although deserved its really disappointing we went out like that.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am

I seriously think Klopp was watching a different game, we were shyte both legs, commitment, desire.... I never saw any of it in this game.

https://youtu.be/i_muW4pbR-8?si=-QDYcSIWG5QFfOKx
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am

The sad reality is the squad is once again burned out from being over played. We don't have the strength in depth to compete for 4 trophies, only City do. We have a lot of average players and a core few of good players who get played until they drop and have been for many years.

Klopp's team peaked 5 years ago in Madrid: Ali, Mo, Robbo, TAA, VVD all peaked and it's no surprise they're the tired core of today's team.

Matip, Bajčetić and Thiago haven't featured this season. Nunez, Gakpo, Gravenbach etc.. simply aren't good enough as we know.

English football is like Formula 1, Red Bull dominate but if it wasn't for them there's actually a good fight going on between Ferrari, MacLaren, Aston Martin and Mercedes. City dominate but teams can't compete with their 115 FFP charges so they look set to win their 7th league title in 8 years. Behind them LFC, Arsenal, Villa and Spurs are having a traditional tussle.

But the cost of that is a burned out team and a burned out manager. Klopp looks exhausted in the photos from last night. He's finished guys, he's knackered.
The new manager is faced with having to rebuild our team and our squad. It's make or break because Klopp is handing over a first team that will be lucky to limp over the line in 4th place. We still have to play Villa and Spurs and the Bitters of course.

Our implosion started many weeks ago against United and it'll go through to the end of the season. It's not the finale Klopp hoped for.

I hope Michael Edwards has a cunning plan.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am

Klopp summed up last night perfectly in this interview:

https://www.tiktok.com/@sween_productio ... leV3TL684u
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm

:laugh:  I feel better after seeing that!!

The new guy is going to have his work cut out in motivating that lot and indeed  trying to improve them into something that looks like a coherent unit. Imo there is very few players here who belong at this level. We just made too many poor signings in the last few years.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 pm

I was impressed with Atalanta tactically, they played man to man and they stuck to it, I don’t remember ever seeing someone play quite like that before. I think the way they set up made us look bad and it applies to both matches, it’s why we ran out of ideas as both matches went on because we started both matches positively. I think you will see more teams play like that if they are successful. Disappointing to say the least as we should have had enough to beat them. We were undone at Anfield and three goals was too much to claw back when playing away.

We will need to win every match if we want to win the title, the team needs to dig deep as it is still there to play for.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 pm

As others have mentioned it looks like we’ve hit the wall, I was expecting us to throw the kitchen sink at them that second half but it was like a pre season friendly, there was no urgency at al. We seemed more interested in faffing around with it at the back than scoring a second goal. The lads just mustn’t have anything left in the tank
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm wrote:As others have mentioned it looks like we’ve hit the wall, I was expecting us to throw the kitchen sink at them that second half but it was like a pre season friendly, there was no urgency at al. We seemed more interested in faffing around with it at the back than scoring a second goal. The lads just mustn’t have anything left in the tank

I don't buy that, 45 mins to stay in for the trophy should give them the boost they need. Someone else said they worry about motivation once Klopp leaves but why would any need to be motivated at this stage of the season with so much to play for.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:16 pm

Our problem is also the bullsh1t sideways, backwards passes we do. It was like no one had the balls to drive forward. Considering the amount of time we have the ball, we do squat all with it.
Trent was successfully pinning some cracking balls in the first half. As Yakka said had Salah scored I feel the tide could've changed.

2nd half they tightened up and out fought us.

I feel the lads mentality has gone down since FA cup and league matches vs United. Additionally many players are out of form.

New manager is going to have hell of a job with these lot.

Salah is a legend but I'd definitely consider a good amount from Saudi, if offered.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games