CL away Atletico Madrid 19th Oct 2021

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Santa » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 am

Naby is the weak link in our team. Does some stuff well but total ***** in so many others. Easily dribbled past that led to their two goals.

Also playing such high line against a team with fast attackers like Griezmann, Felix and Lemar is very dangerous especially as Matip could not keep pace. Good thing Ali saved us on 2~3 such occasions.

But I won't remember tha game...we get Simeone fuming back to the dressing room at the whistle good enough for me.

Big cajones, Reds. Let's Go!!!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:33 am

Naby should have done better for both goals but piling all the blame on him for how iffy we looked at the back would be a mistake, it's not as if Atletico only had 2 chances and took them both, they opened us up 4 or 5 times and but for Alisson we could have been in a bit of trouble last night. They just happened to score from the 2 opportunities Naby was involved in but that doesn't mean there weren't others.
It has to be said Virgil is nowhere near the player he was before last year's Goodson Derby, at 29/30 he probably never will be either. don't get me wrong he will improve and will certainly be a better player next season but I think we might have to start coming to terms with the fact that that majestic colossus we signed back in January 2018 might not exist anymore.
Although the names on the backs of the shirts are the same this is not the same defence that took us to the title, nowhere near it, Robbo has been below par for a while now too imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:27 pm

Naby was left for dead very easily for the 1st goal but I think he's been harshly criticised for the 2nd.

We are scoring more goals this season but we've looked more vulnerable to the counter attack. I think both of these are down to the fact that Gini isn't here anymore. He was criticised for not getting enough assists and goals but he was so diligent and intelligent around covering spaces left by fullbacks and other midfielders. He was an in game problem solver and a best friend to our CBs and DM. We play a 6 and two 8s and most of our defensive issues this year have come from the two 8s not doing their jobs very well when we lose the ball. If they both go and press and then don't follow runners when the press is beaten then we'll keep getting problems. Something for Klopp and his coaching staff to work on between games.
Eagle

Postby Tommy Smith » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 pm

A fantastic result from a very difficult game, Atletico is a powerhouse with an excellent defending strategy, perhaps Klopp needs to teach his wobble defense some. Luckily we had to goal start, and Atletico went down to 10 men due to the main and only contribution by the passenger (Firmino the dud). The goals were mainly down to the clumsy Matip and lightweight Keita, mind you the whole defence has struggled, Trent, Robbo, and Matip were really poor, even VVD was far behind. Klopp needs to reshuffle his defence, Gomez and Tsimikas ought to be recalled and even Konate. The rest of the players and the keeper have done very well.
We are still lacking creativity upfront, and Coutinho is still available for LFC to re-grab him easily. He is the missing link. 

A huge improvement is required for the Sunday game against the scum.

Good Luck Lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 pm

Eagle » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:27 am wrote:Naby was left for dead very easily for the 1st goal but I think he's been harshly criticised for the 2nd.

We are scoring more goals this season but we've looked more vulnerable to the counter attack. I think both of these are down to the fact that Gini isn't here anymore. He was criticised for not getting enough assists and goals but he was so diligent and intelligent around covering spaces left by fullbacks and other midfielders. He was an in game problem solver and a best friend to our CBs and DM. We play a 6 and two 8s and most of our defensive issues this year have come from the two 8s not doing their jobs very well when we lose the ball. If they both go and press and then don't follow runners when the press is beaten then we'll keep getting problems. Something for Klopp and his coaching staff to work on between games.

Good point about Gini. We've looked iffy at the back pretty much all season, just before the international break we played City and Brentford, Brentford put 3 past us and gave us real trouble, everyone could see their equaliser coming, we were under real pressure at the back, as for the City game they were carving us open pretty much at will particularly in that first half, Foden v Milner was an obvious mis-match but it wasn't just down the right were we were stretched, Bernardo Silva, KDB et al seemed to take it in turns to breeze past our midfielders like they weren't there.
Naby didn't play a single minute of either of those games, it wasn't him the likes of Bernardo Silva were waltzing past, our defensive issues run much deeper than him, though saying that he obviously didn't cover himself in glory defensively last night.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 am

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games