Movies - What have you been watching ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:58 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:17 am wrote:The house that jack built ,just watch it !

Feeling full and in need of some relaxed couch time settled down to watch this after Xmas lunch  :)

:wwww   :wwww   :wwww

Lets just say the Xmas mood in my house was radically different this year   :(

After going with RBG's recommendation and choosing this for our afternoon movie I'm surprised that social services haven't moved all my extended family to a safe location !   :(

Its definitely not a Christmas movie mate  :D It garnered massive publicity with its inclusion of some extremely controversial content ,but I thought it was handled well by Matt Dillon who delivers a quite remarkable portrayal of the OCD affected serial killer and the intensity of Lars Von Trier's direction is at times 'although' shockingly visceral its also intelligently handled enough to slightly diffuse the ferity of the violence depicted. I think the film is a deeply cynical one and the scenes that caused such walkouts on mass at Cannes are without doubt the most impious in its cruelty I've seen on film ,callous ,devoid of empathy and with little sympathy for its audience but when all is said and done mate ,this is a Lars Von Trier film and the viewer should be aware of the nihilism that eventually bleeds its way through all his work.

Not for kids ,grandmothers ,wives or indeed Christmas   :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 pm

If only you'd said all of that instead of just

"The house that jack built ,just watch it ! "

Yer B'stard !   :D   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:15 am

woof woof ! » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 pm wrote:If only you'd said all of that instead of just

"The house that jack built ,just watch it ! "

Yer B'stard !   :D   :D

:laugh:

My apologies mate ,I didn't want to make my appraisal inclusive of spoilers. I figured brief and concise was the best way to go. :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am

laza » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:12 am wrote:Cheers Woof, its looks pretty intriguing

Watched Coen Brothers latest movie for Netflix

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a six-part Western anthology film.

While I couple of the tales I could have gone and watched paint dry instead, overall definitely worth a watch even if just for first tale of Buster Scruggs

Cheers Laza,caught up with it yesterday,  that Buster Scruggs is one strange cowboy !  :D

Enjoyed all the stories apart from the last one.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:18 am

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:25 pm wrote:My Movie of the Year   :buttrock

No car chasers ! No Explosions !

There is  (eventually) some gunfire   :)

Bad Times at the El Royal 

*****' loved it   :buttrock   :buttrock

Highly recommended, RBG and Laza you guys have to watch this one    :nod

Watched Bad times at El Royale great movie. The layout reminded me of pulp fiction and Hateful Eight. Good storyline it keeps you interested throughout, one to watch guys.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 am

I saw it on the plane a couple of days ago, the story keeps evolving throughout, good film. Seems the singer girl was the only one without baggage?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 am wrote:The house that jack built ,just watch it !

Does this movie have a deeper meaning that I didn't understand? If not, than it was a pretty average movie for me. It had a pretty dark theme and some groosome scenes but that's the only thing it had IMO. Most of the events were kinda implausible for me and the movie just tries to be too smart for no reason. 7 out of 10.

Hope woof's suggestion (El Royal) is a bit better as I have that movie downloaded as well.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Hope woof's suggestion (El Royal) is a bit better as I have that movie downloaded as well.

Mate ! a movie Tarantino wished he made and it's got  Jeff "the Dude" Bridges in the lead !

If you can't enjoy this one stop watching movies !   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:16 am

:D  Agree Woof a very good movie.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 am wrote:The house that jack built ,just watch it !

Does this movie have a deeper meaning that I didn't understand? If not, than it was a pretty average movie for me. It had a pretty dark theme and some groosome scenes but that's the only thing it had IMO. Most of the events were kinda implausible for me and the movie just tries to be too smart for no reason. 7 out of 10.

His first victim is born from a distinct dislike for his passenger and is carried out with anger ,however his second murder evolves from a need to retain the omnipotence he felt extinguishing the life of his first and although its amateurish and clumsy and somewhat dissuades him from following this path what ensues to wipe clean his sins leads him to believe its divine intervention and he now has a vocation to construct what he believes is his art and an offering to a God he now believes has acknowledged his work. I'm surmising ,this is why the film started with his eventual judgement and the manner he attempts to justify his actions and transgressions to Triers take on the boatman.

Obviously the film will have its detractors ,but I'm sure Von Trier anticipated the light and shade people would read into the scenes offering up a glut of different paths and indeed opinions. I personally thought the dialogue between Jack and Ganz's character was genuinely thought provoking and the scene at the close of the movie when Ganz affords the stories main antagonist the opportunity to scale the wall knowing his own hubris would be his downfall and deny him the stay in purgatory the ferryman firmly believed he didn't deserve was testament to Triers talent for afterthought.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:36 am

Fair enough RBG, never said it was a bad movie, just not very much to my liking. You do seem like the kind of guy that would appriciate the artistic elements in the movie so I can see why you liked it. Just one correction, the old man that took him to hell wasn't the mythological ferryman, but rather Virgil, an ancient Roman writer, but more importantly a character in the Divine Comedy who guided Dante through hell.

Anyway, woof, el Royale was a darn good movie mate, nice suggestion. Always liked Jeff Bridges as an actor.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:56 am

:buttrock  :buttrock  C..ksuckers

Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Thanx for the heads up Laza, the hunt for a torrent is on  :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:37 pm

Triple Frontier   :nod   :nod

If you're stuck for a movie to watch this one's a familiar formula i.e. ex military/cia operatives decide to make some money for themselves, worth a watch 7/10 on the popcorn meter   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Watched 1917 last night .

As an Oscar nominee I was left thinking it's been a bit over hyped.

Whilst visually very very very good and the action quite gripping , the story line and events therein verge on the ridiculous . The script had me wondering if it was written by a 12 year old and the acting was wooden.

I had a grandfather who served in World War One . I salute him and all those others that served and died in that conflict.

This film is a massive disservice to those men, it's nothing more that a popcorn guzzler to those with no idea of the real history.

For those still interested and want more popcorn, here's the trailer.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum