DANIEL STURRIDGE- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:55 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:41 pm wrote:
devaney » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:26 am wrote:RBG -  I am not sure that Danny is smelling a medal this season but what I am sure of is that he is desperately trying to get the smell of West Brom out of his system. Klopp became so frustrated with Danny and understandably that he simply wanted him out of the club.  I do not think for one minute that Klopp expected to see a highly motivated and determined Danny turn up for pre season training and just how well he would play in the pre season matches. Let’s face it if any reasonable offers had come in for Danny Liverpool would have let him go. The West Brom experience clearly showed Danny exactly what he was going to be missing if he was to leave Liverpool. He now for the first time in a long time actually looks like he wants to be a part of Klopp’s project. He’s taken a long time to buy into the system but he is definitely getting there. Keep it up Danny. Yesterday you showered just how important you are to Liverpool FC.

I don’t know how many of you remember Stu who we lost to cancer not long ago. Stu constantly claimed that Danny would make an excellent impact sub and many including myself suggested that he was talking rubbish. Well Stu if you’re look down then I hope you had a little giggle from your cloud yesterday  :laugh:

I miss Stu's candid but at times blunt honesty,the kid was a one off and the forum is poorer in his absence  :(

Says who!??
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Stu was a character  :nod  Think everyone got both barrels from him at some point but he did know his stuff. 1st one to out Moreno if I remember correctly  :laugh:

Personally I would have sold Sturridge long ago and so would the club if they had got bids in for him. Now he is our top scorer  :laugh:

Fair play to him  :nod  and if he keeps it up he's sure to blag another contract.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Studge likes a wager :D
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:32 am

Can't post the link cause I read it through some app on my phone, but basically it said that some guy from a modest background placed a huge bet on Sturridge leaving to Inter on loan and the guy from the betting company or whatever thought that if a poor guy like that is willing to bet so much money then he must have had info from Daniel himself.

If true, it's a load of horsecrap, how can the FA charge him just because someone placed huge money on a move that never even happened!
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Daniel Sturridge and Alberto Moreno will leave Liverpool this summer at the end of their contracts.

England striker Sturridge, 29, scored 67 goals in 160 appearances after joining from Chelsea in January 2013.

Spanish left-back Moreno played 141 times for the club, having signed from Sevilla in August 2014.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said: "The most important words to say to these two remarkable players are 'thank you'."

He added: "Alberto is a person whose personality is reflected in how he plays - full of life, full of energy, always positive. An unbelievable character who is always willing to give all of himself for the team.

"Daniel has earned the right to be considered a modern-day Liverpool great, I would think. He came to the club while we were trying to rebuild and re-establish ourselves. Some of the goals he has scored for Liverpool were so, so, so important.

"We will miss them of course, but we can say farewell with the best words possible: Guys, you leave as European champions."

Both players leave Anfield having fallen out of favour during the 2018-19 season. Sturridge made 27 appearances in all competitions but 20 of those were as a substitute. Moreno made just four starts and one substitute appearance.

They were both part of the Liverpool team that was beaten in the 2016 EFL Cup and Europa League finals in Klopp's first season in charge.

Sturridge began his career at Manchester City before joining Chelsea in 2009. He also spent six months on loan at Bolton during his time at Stamford Bridge before making the move to Anfield.

He scored 24 goals in his first full season at the club as Luis Suarez's strike partner as Liverpool challenged for the Premier League before ultimately finishing second to Manchester City.

After struggling for first-team football he spent the second half of last season on loan at West Brom, although injury restricted him to just six appearances.

Moreno, who has been capped four times by Spain, came through the youth ranks at Sevilla before moving to Anfield for around £12m. He was first-choice left-back left for two seasons but lost his place to James Milner and then Andy Robertson in recent seasons.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Awesome player when at his peak, so exciting as part of SSS. Unfortunately recurrent injuries meant he lost his mobility and pace, wish him the very best (and Moreno too).

fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Prime Sturridge was a fantastic player, him and Luis was one of the best strike partnerships I've ever seen at this club and I go back a long way. I've said it a few times and I'll say it again, some of the best football i ever saw us play was under Brendan like the 6-0 at Newcastle and that 20 minute demolition of Arsenal at Anfield when the likes of Danny, Luis, Phil and Raheem ran absolute riot. People forget Arsenal were top of the table back then and flying but we absolutely smashed them.
Like a lot of naturally athletic players though (e.g Michael Owen, Kevin Beattie etc) he fell foul of injuries, in his prime though he got to 50 goals quicker than his strike partner Luis which tells you how good he was. He'll be fondly remembered by Reds fans.
Alberto tried hard but he was what he was, a converted winger trying to defend but he never gave anything less than 100%.
Good luck to the 2 of them, they'll always be welcome at Anfield. YNWA lads, once a red always a red.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:30 pm wrote:Prime Sturridge was a fantastic player, him and Luis was one of the best strike partnerships I've ever seen at this club and I go back a long way. I've said it a few times and I'll say it again, some of the best football i ever saw us play was under Brendan like the 6-0 at Newcastle and that 20 minute demolition of Arsenal at Anfield when the likes of Danny, Luis, Phil and Raheem ran absolute riot. People forget Arsenal were top of the table back then and flying but we absolutely smashed them.
Like a lot of naturally athletic players though (e.g Michael Owen, Kevin Beattie etc) he fell foul of injuries, in his prime though he got to 50 goals quicker than his strike partner Luis which tells you how good he was. He'll be fondly remembered by Reds fans.
Alberto tried hard but he was what he was, a converted winger trying to defend but he never gave anything less than 100%.
Good luck to the 2 of them, they'll always be welcome at Anfield. YNWA lads, once a red always a red.

OMG those 20 minutes against Arsenal, now that was heavy metal at it's best, possibly the best I've ever seen us play, must be on YouTube somewhere. And agree, very similar to Owen, I'd say an MRI of his hamstrings would show scarring all over the place.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:16 am

My take on Sturridge is he could have been world class and wasted the chance, as I think he was a little distracted. His best year was that year with Suarez probably because Suarez was such a big personality he was in his shadow, remember when he was subbed by Rodgers because Suarez was upset he never passed to him so Suarez kept him in check. When Suarez left we needed him to be the leader and that is when we saw the real Sturridge. He was hanging around with a bad crowd and refused to play unless he was 100% fit, something football players hardly ever are. Carragher and other players commented how he would not play unless he felt 100% and his pain threshold was not very high. The turning point for me came when to promote his dance he and his entourage started wearing his own clothing brand which Klopp put a stop to, this seemed to alienate him with Klopp and that was that, Klopp would have probably sold him but his high wages and injury record was too high of a risk for clubs.

Sturridge had real footballer talent without the footballer heart, a little like Rayan Babble. For someone like myself that always wanted to be a footballer but never had the talent it is hard to fathom. He could have achieved so much more but did not but still I thank him for the important goals he scored for us and he gets to leave with a CL winners medal which he had no impact on winning. Good luck to you and would love to see how you do now you see the end of your playing days on the horizon. I’m not sure we got our money’s worth with him and now he leaves for free. I’d say he took more than he gave, harsh probably but certainly true.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:16 am

Yup very talented but nothing like he was before. He has not got it in him anymore since the past few years.

All the best hope he does well where he goes. Happy that he hot a UCL medal here he deserves something for his service esp during 13/14.
Btw he scored the first goal vs PSG opening our UCL campaign.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:52 am

Yes it's true, him and Moreno are leaving. Studge is only 29 though and he has a few good seasons left in him. Klopp decided to not send him out on loan this season, but hardly played him all Season, instead preferring Origi.

Shame, he didn't really fit into klopps high pressing style of play, prob due to injuries etc.

I'm sure Danny boy will find a decent club.

No surprises though with these departures etc... We were all expecting them.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby supersub » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am

Red Rum » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 am wrote:Yes it's true, him and Moreno are leaving. Studge is only 29 though and he has a few good seasons left in him. Klopp decided to not send him out on loan this season, but hardly played him all Season, instead preferring Origi.

Shame, he didn't really fit into klopps high pressing style of play, prob due to injuries etc.

Yeah looks like Klopp got that right , don't you think ?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Rum » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:00 am

supersub » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 am wrote:
Red Rum » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 am wrote:Yes it's true, him and Moreno are leaving. Studge is only 29 though and he has a few good seasons left in him. Klopp decided to not send him out on loan this season, but hardly played him all Season, instead preferring Origi.

Yeah looks like Klopp got that right , don't you think ?

Yeah, but at only 29, you think he still has got a lot left in the tank to offer.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby supersub » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 am

I think it was clear from the performances that DS put in over the last couple of years or so , that he hasn't got anything left in his tank that would guarantee him much game time in any team in the top half of the premier league. I wish him luck wherever he may continue his career and I'm pleased as punch that he has been rewarded with a Champions League Winners medal before his departure from the club.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion