Replacing an icon

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:46 am

IMO, it will be another generation or two before we see another player of the calibre of Steven Gerrard come through the ranks at Anfield.... or even purchased.

Better off if we replace him with 2 players of real quality than to attempt to find a single player to fill the void when he's gone. The expectations of that player will be massive and more likely than not, he will fail to live up to our expectations.
ConnO'var

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:05 am

ConnO'var wrote:IMO, it will be another generation or two before we see another player of the calibre of Steven Gerrard come through the ranks at Anfield.... or even purchased.

Better off if we replace him with 2 players of real quality than to attempt to find a single player to fill the void when he's gone. The expectations of that player will be massive and more likely than not, he will fail to live up to our expectations.

Thing is with Gerrard is that for the majority of his time at the club hes carried the team on his shoulders and been the only world class player at the club (especially in the early years). Maybe we cant get a player of his calibre for the next 10-20 years but we can counter that by having top quality all over the pitch, as apposed to being labelled a one man team.

As for Shelvey i reckon hes gonna be a great player for us (not at Gerrards level) but a great assest to the club. I think him and McCarthy would form a great partnership in the future.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby TarnRed » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:17 am

PabloMedina28 wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:IMO, it will be another generation or two before we see another player of the calibre of Steven Gerrard come through the ranks at Anfield.... or even purchased.

Thing is with Gerrard is that for the majority of his time at the club hes carried the team on his shoulders and been the only world class player at the club (especially in the early years). Maybe we cant get a player of his calibre for the next 10-20 years but we can counter that by having top quality all over the pitch, as apposed to being labelled a one man team.

As for Shelvey i reckon hes gonna be a great player for us (not at Gerrards level) but a great assest to the club. I think him and McCarthy would form a great partnership in the future.

Totally agree this time. :D
TarnRed

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 am

damjan193 wrote:Don't hope too much on finding a replacement for Gerrard mate. It's not just his skill we're talking about, it's the mentality and knowledge of the team and all that stuff. Never going to find another Steven Gerrard IMO, but I think we all know that.

'The cemetary is full of irreplaceable men'.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:21 am

TarnRed wrote:
PabloMedina28 wrote:

Totally agree this time. :D

Then my job is done
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:52 am

Totally disagree. We've replaced the best midfielders in the world with even better ones all thru the 70's, 80's and 90's. And then we had Gerrard.

We replaced Keegan with Dalglish, with Rush, Owen, Fowler, Torres and now Suarez and Carrol.

We replaced Tommy Lawrence with Clem, Brucie, Dudek and Reina.

Emlyn by Thommo, by Hensen and Lawro, by Sami and Henchoz, with Carra etc....

Cally with Terry Mac, Macca and Barnsey, lil' Luis, Souness even.....  the only question is whether the owners are committed financially to replace the best with the best this season or whether we have to drivel on with what we have and be content with 4-5-6th place for the coming 2-3 years.

Stop wringing your hands mate, the future is Red.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Cannon and Ball, Hale and Paste, Chuckle Brothers, The Nevilles, Torres and Balotelli.......................
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:54 am

imagine this....

-----------------------Reina
Johnson/Kelly--Cahill--Carra/Agger--Johnson/Baines
Young------Gerrard---Adam---N'Zogbia
---------------Carroll---Suarez

subs: Gulasci, Skrtel, Robinson, Lucas, Cole, Pacheco and Wickham

/ = or

now W*nk away :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:imagine this....

-----------------------Reina
Johnson/Kelly--Cahill--Carra/Agger--Johnson/Baines
Young------Gerrard---Adam---N'Zogbia
---------------Carroll---Suarez

subs: Gulasci, Skrtel, Robinson, Lucas, Cole, Pacheco and Wickham

/ = or

now W*nk away :D

Surely there is better than N'zogbia.

I don't get the hype.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:59 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Thewaykokid wrote:I think it can be fair to say that with our injury list, there is little chance of achieving anything great this season. Therefore, in terms of looking for replacements for the likes of Gerrard, Carra, etc, I'd Be inclined to give some of our youngsters/benchwarmers a run in the starting team to prove their worth, if they fail and are too old (Cole...), ship in the summer. Just think about the likes of Arsenal who have thrown their youngsters in the firing line like Wilshere, perhaps all it takes is a good run of game time. Imagine if we used Shelvey as a gerrard replacement for the rest of the season, tried Cole out wide more often, maybe give Wilson a good run at CB, we could find that someone is really up to LFC standard, rather than dismissing them completely.

i would personally like to see Saric up front but with Carroll and Suarez ahead of him. he might be another one that's bound to move on just like Nemeth, and possibly Pacheco. the latter is impressing at Norwich so i'm really baffled as to why he had not been taken into consideration this season considering our lack of attacking players at one point.

we've got a number of defenders such as Ayala, Mendy, Sokolic and Mavinga who will probably leave in time as well as the sight of being in the first team falls further away. i do not mind that at all so long as the signings bought in place of them are of better quality. for example, i never understood the signing of Voronin when we had Nemeth, or Konchesky when we've got Insua, etc.

it would be disappointing if we were to release a player and he ends up becoming a hit with another club hence it's important that more time is given with the youth. can anyone shed some light on Bruna? he was highly rated as some point.

You seem to know a bit about the youth team as you have listed quite a few palyers there.
But have you seen much of them playing ?
The reason i ask is because Saric doesnt look anywhere near good enough.
Bruna is one of those that is massively inconsistent and thats at reserve level.
Also the defenders you have named dont appear to be players that will make the grade, Mavinga is possibly the exception.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby PabloMedina28 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Hows Mavinga doing?
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion