Replacing an icon

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby TarnRed » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:07 am

I would throw the young Wigan lads name into the Hat, James McCarthy as a player that could possibly become a long term replacement for Stevie G.

I think we already have the long term successor on our books for Carragher in Martin Kelly.
TarnRed

Postby burjennio » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Lucas, Merieles and Charlie Adam has a nice balance to it for the times Gerrards out. That has a defensive player, a playmaker and a player to break into the box late. This summer its imperative that we get some quality on the wings to supply big Carroll or else we are totally wasting our £35m record signing. Ashley Young can dribble and cross, making him good at two things our wide players currently arnt :p
burjennio

Postby tubby » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:11 pm

Some good choices there. Like the look of Hamsik, not sure how he's been for Napoli this season though. Another 1 to throw in the mix - Ivan Rakitich.

And unless Adam is free or under 3 mil I wouldn't bother with him. He was only meant to be a stop gap in the Jan window.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Rakitic just signed for Sevilla in the Jan window and hes looking quality and has them playing like a decent side again.
burjennio

Postby tubby » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Bollock.s. Javier Pastore looks good but he will cost top dollar.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:37 pm

tubby wrote:Bollock.s. Javier Pastore looks good but he will cost top dollar.

Javier Pastore would not cost less than 30m
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:38 pm

How much is he on Football Manager?  :eyebrow
burjennio

Postby metalhead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:39 pm

burjennio wrote:How much is he on Football Manager?  :eyebrow

Palermo offered him to me for 15m :D

I rejected it :p
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Id go for James McCarthy
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby cptrios » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 pm

I also wouldn't mind James McCarthy coming in. We've been linked to him quite a bit recently, too.
cptrios

Postby ethanr » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Been thinking about it.. Wigan look like they'll be relegated, so McCarthy and N'Zogbia could both be available for a decently affordable price. 

Same with Charlie Adam and Blackpool.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I know others dont hold this view but long term I think Jonjo Shelvey could fill the midfield role Gerrard will vacate.

From the little time he has played here I have seen character and drive. His ability is still being developed and he is still so young. Some of the passes he has made and crosses are reminiscent of Gerrard at a young age.

Next season, injury free hopefully, he'll step up. I'm sure.

My long term pick
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:20 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I know others dont hold this view but long term I think Jonjo Shelvey could fill the midfield role Gerrard will vacate.

From the little time he has played here I have seen character and drive. His ability is still being developed and he is still so young. Some of the passes he has made and crosses are reminiscent of Gerrard at a young age.

My long term pick

I wouldn't discount this theory.  It would be amazing if he can grow into the player that Gerrard is/was.  Maybe even bomb some in from 35 yards.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:13 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I know others dont hold this view but long term I think Jonjo Shelvey could fill the midfield role Gerrard will vacate.

My long term pick

I'd much rather be developing players into the next big thing then paying 10-25 million pounds for them.  I know we bought Shelvey, but we paid less than 2 million pounds for him, so I'd say that still counts as us finding and developing the talent.

I hope you're right, I hope he's a huge success, but I still hope we sign Charlie Adam because Adam will add much needed depth to the squad, whether he replace Meireles or start behind him.  If Gerrard doesn't recover, then we will definitely need a Charlie Adam type player.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby cptrios » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:11 am

I would absolutely LOVE it if Shelvey turned out to be even 3/4 of a Gerrard.

Question: someone on this forum mentioned some sort of strange medical issue that could cause Shelvey to retire in his late twenties. I can't find any information about it, so I'm hoping it's not true...but does anyone have any idea what that could be?
cptrios

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion