Great saves

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:47 am

I think that Cardiff's David Marshall penalty saves must rank among the best ever last night.

We are a club that have been lucky to have some great goalkeepers that have pulled of some world class saves.

heres a video of some of the other..........its starts with a srtange man with strange legs lol

Goalkeeper Saves
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 pm

I love great saves. Don't matter what league its in. Clemence was my favourite goalie and he made some absolute blinders! I remember once seeing him hurl himself half way across the goaline and in midflight arched his back and tipped a rasping shot over the bar with what seemed like 'the wrong arm' the one that was furthest away from the ball put it that way. Superb agility. Grob had that litheness as well.

Reina, a fabulous keeper has a bit of a way to go yet, but in my book he will be better than even the great Clem.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Big Niall » Sat May 15, 2010 1:40 pm

I hate to give the toffees praise but Southall is the best goalie I've seen (clemence and shilton in his prime a bit before my time).

David Seamen's save against Sheffield United is the best save on that clip.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Between Gordon Banks, shilton, clemence, seamen, England had about 30 years when it could make a claim that it's goalie is the best in the world. However, haven't had a decent goalie in recent years - any ideas why?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Tue May 25, 2010 10:49 am

It is frustrating that there is such a great history of England keepers but going into this World Cup year we have a choice of three 'not great' options. Look at this World Cup football blog on great England goalkeepers and tell me - would David James, Joe Hart or Robert Green ever measure up to some of these legends.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Reg » Wed May 26, 2010 6:48 am

Dudek - Shevchenko - Istambul.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tricky Dicky » Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 am

Big Niall wrote:I hate to give the toffees praise but Southall is the best goalie I've seen (clemence and shilton in his prime a bit before my time).

David Seamen's save against Sheffield United is the best save on that clip.

Neville Southall was a good keeper as you say.

I think the best keeper ever award (in my view) would have to go to Peter Schmiecal. An excellent goal keeper and there won't be many (if any) atall better than him.

Big shout I know but I'll stand by it.

Have to mention Reina as well, another fantastic keeper who in my book is currently the best keeper in the Prem. Both him and Schmical had added quality attributes far better than many keepers I've seen. Ball distribution, those long throws to the half way line to set up a counter attack. Also I think Reina is the best keeper I've ever seen with the ball at his feet, in possesion and distribution, better than Schemical in that aspect.

:)
Last edited by Tricky Dicky on Wed May 26, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tricky Dicky

Postby andy_g » Wed May 26, 2010 9:39 am

I was a goalie and have always looked out for how they perform during a match. in recent times i think the best i have seen have been schmeichel (one of the all times greats if you ask me), cech (before his accident), buffon, cassillas. as much as i love pepe reina i still think he has a little way to go to be included with the best of the best. going back a bit it was always between clemence and shilton who was the best and to be honest (and trying to be neutral) i still find it hard to split them. have to mention people like sepp meier and pat jennings as well.

i don't know why we do so badly for goalkeepers in england now. i guess every kid wants to be a striker or a playmaker.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed May 26, 2010 12:05 pm

I 'd say the secret of good to great is dominating the back 4 - Clem, Shilton, Scheichel etc.. all controlled their defenders, directed them, roasted them when need be etc.. and ran the show. Reina hasn't learnt that yet.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Kind of off topic, well not really.  My daughters had swim team training last Thursday and while they were swimming I took a walk around the halls of the school.  Funny that Tim Howard wasn't on the list for Clean Sheets.  Didn't even rank in the top 10.  Obviously he's gone the furthest of anyone who has graduated from North Brunswick High School (In New Jersey) just found it odd that he didn't register in the Clean Sheets dept.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:24 am

The Good Yank wrote:Kind of off topic, well not really.  My daughters had swim team training last Thursday and while they were swimming I took a walk around the halls of the school.  Funny that Tim Howard wasn't on the list for Clean Sheets.  Didn't even rank in the top 10.  Obviously he's gone the furthest of anyone who has graduated from North Brunswick High School (In New Jersey) just found it odd that he didn't register in the Clean Sheets dept.

hmm bit strange that.
2009-10   11
2008-09   17
2007-08   14
2006-07   14
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion