Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:42 am

I assume you are their big fans if you vote :;):

anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:43 am

Abbey Road is my favourite.
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:44 am

I love them, I own every album, including the Anthology, both on CD and DVD, autographed by Pete Best.
jonnymac1979

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:48 am

cool johnny, specially with the autographed ones
i love all their tunes, mostly sgt. peppers
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:49 am

I me, am a metaller by heart and a massive music fan. I found myself mid-twenties and still not really knowing any of their stuff. Not feeling that it was an acceptable excuse for someone claiming to be a music fan, I bought pretty much all of their stuff and actually find them quite mediocre.

Given that it was a different time and I am unable to appreciate it fully in the context of the time and what else there was to listen to, I find it all a little too innocent and simplistic. Sgt. Pepper has to be the most over-rated album of the 60's and perhaps all time, the White Album, way way way too indulgent and long winded.

Typically Revolver is the cult album which 'real' fans appear to quote as being "THE' album, but I really love Rubber Soul. I think that the songs are better than on Revolver and the sound is great.

Second to that one, Abbey Road does it for me, although it has gotten old over a period of time.... a few too many dodgy songs on there. My favourite thing about that one though is the production that they achieved then. To get the modern day sound back in the late 60's on no more than an 8 track is incredible.

I could ramble on all day about all this.....nice topic.
Homebooby

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:55 am

Let It Be is a unique one, they said the four never got together at the recording sessions
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:58 am

they're gonna be releasing get back some time in the near future and that should clarify things a little.

My understanding was that they did record together. The time wasn't too enjoyable though. George wanted to leave and was sick of being ordered around by Paul, who in turn was an ego out of control or the one of the group trying to keep things going depending on your point of view. John was strung out on smack a lot of the time with Yoko and Ringo was still learning the pat his head and rub his stomach at the same time  :D
Homebooby

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:38 pm

I only have Abbey road & Let it Be on vinyl.

Beatles are the best though.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:42 pm

Homebooby wrote:Given that it was a different time and I am unable to appreciate it fully in the context of the time and what else there was to listen to, I find it all a little too innocent and simplistic.

At the time it was groundbreaking stuff, In '64/'65 Albums were still being released in Mono , with Stereo just beginning to make it's appearance.
The biggest fans are usually the ones that grew up with them .
ps the Beatles weren't all we had to listen to , they kicked open the door for bands like the Stones , Kinks, Cream, Jefferson Aiplane ,Led Zepplelin and the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Guess you had to be there .
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:56 pm

exactly woof woof, I wish I was there a lot of the time. Considering the state of music since I have been growing up, I am constantly in love more with the 70's and to a degree the 60's for the innocence, the experimentation and creativity.

I think in the 70's you had the musicianship take over a lot more (technically) coupled with the carefree abandon of the 60's bands that were around and about.

The 80's saw people get way too technical and lose sight of the original goal of boundary pushing and making great music. The 90's and 2000's until now were/are really the age of marketing and industry.

Sure there are good bands out there, but nothing compares to the 70's. It was the golden age of music and movies.
Homebooby

Postby taff » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:13 pm

Looking back you leave out the garbage that was around as well

But those crazy Beatles eh with their rock and roll and pretty girls what a band
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:21 pm

Yeah early seventies had it all , bands that had made their names in the 60's and  were still going strong plus the emergence of the likes of Yes ,Pink Floyd, King Crimson,Jethro Tull etc (although these bands formed in the 60's they only took off in the 70's)
Yeah , 1966-1976 a brilliant period for music.
:)
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:29 pm

taff wrote:Looking back you leave out the garbage that was around as well

But those crazy Beatles eh with their rock and roll and pretty girls what a band

:D  Right Taff and bug ger me the was some garbage ,
The Strawberry Alarm Clock,The Fugs , The Osmonds . Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh !!!
Think I'm gonna throw up .
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:50 pm

It always surprises me that Fleetwood Mac were from the 60's.  You wouldn't think it would you?
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:53 pm

Quote: Alan Partridge (Alan Partridge, I'm, 1997, BBC)
I would have to say, The Best of the Beatles

Pure gold.

:D   :D
jonnymac1979

Next

Return to Non Football Related Polls