Abbey Road
13%
Let it Be
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes : 16

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 pm

Apologies if this sort of poll's been done but...

I received The Beatles - "One" for Christmas and, while there's no shortage of undisputed classics among the band's chart-toppers, it got me thinking about all of the fantastic Beatles songs that weren't number 1s.  This, in turn, got me wondering what their 'strongest' album was, top to bottom.  I've my own views on the subject (which I'll share eventually) but I'm curious which album you folks rate as the best of the bunch.  So, yes, vote but also post your justifications below!  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:42 pm

Abbey Road, every track is a classic and it also demonstrates the strength of the Beatles as a GROUP as Harrison and Starr both display their writing and singing talents with Something, Here Comes The Sun (Harrison) and Octipus's Garden (Starr) It was also their last Album even though "Let it be" was released later.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:55 pm

Not a massive fan of the beatles sorry to say, but if i HAD to pick, id be un-original and go with revolver. Elonor Rigby (mccartney genius) is my favourite song theyve done and lennons im only sleeping (did suggs ruin that a while ago?) is also absolute class, also it just seems like the most complete album to me (get rid of that sh!te submarine song tho) Its different, and i know everyone says that revolver is best in all those polls, but its for a reason

ok, and the white album is genius... (and im not a fan?)
Last edited by dawson99 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:25 pm

Almost impossible to choose .Every album contains at least one nugget of pure musical gold .
1963-64 The often overlooked early albums have some brilliantly raw stuff, "I Saw Her Standing There", "Please Mr Postman", "You Really Got a Hold on Me" etc .

1965-66. The lads have become a global phenomenom, writing more and more of their own stuff they then treat us to "Hard Days Night " and "Help" the latter containing the fantastic "Ticket to Ride" and the brilliantly unexpected "I've just seen a face" proving once and for all there was a lot more to "pop" music than just "pop".
They close 1966 with the release of  "Rubber Soul" containing the destined classics "Drive my Car" Norwegian Wood", "I'm looking through You" and the fabulously melancholic "In My Life"

Eight months later they're at it again with the release of "Revolver" every single track receiving more airplay than any of todays so called chart toppers.

Could go on and on about Sgt Pepper,The White album and Abbey Road but i'd just bore you all (if I haven't already). Personally I couldn't pick their best album .As I love them all too much .Closest I can get is to say it's a toss up  between Rubber Soul and Revolver.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 am

woof woof ! wrote:Closest I can get is to say it's a toss up  between Rubber Soul and Revolver.

I'm a big fan of Rubber Soul, myself, Woof.  Great, great stuff on that album: Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood, You Won't See Me, Nowhere Man, Michelle, Girl and In My Life are all classics, in my mind.

Special mention also goes to Help! for such beauties as "I've Just Seen A Face," "You're Going to Lose That Girl" and especially "Hide Your Love Away" mixed in with the obvious hits.  And, of course, Revolver is simply an amazing piece of creative work (Yellow Submarine aside :D).

I'm a fan of the earlier stuff and the later stuff, too, but those middle years have such a diversity of fantastic and I daresay underrated material.  Truly incredible band!  :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:56 pm

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:58 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:03 pm

woof woof ! wrote:classic  :)

Absolute class, Woof!

Here's a couple clips from the roof-top "Get Back" sessions...

Get Back

Don't Let Me Down

:buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:08 pm

stmichael wrote:another classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jcB_v5inc

:buttrock

The Kop in full voice and swaying on the terraces...spine-tingling stuff!  Too bad about the pompous BBC reporter:  "The Duke of Wellington prior to the Battle of Waterloo..."  ???

In the immortal words of the Hansen Brothers: "I'm listening to the fucking song!"  :angry:  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby detomarcos » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:34 pm

white album IMO

is one of the top three records ever

with Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"
detomarcos

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:39 am

i'm a fan since i was probably 5 years old (and was a very very long time ago :D )
hard to pick one, but my best try is:
1. sgt. peppers
2. abbey road
3. revolver
4. help
5. white album

some collections of mine here:

revolution - stone temple pilots
one of the best covers i've seen

In my life - a must see one
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:00 am

With the Beatles
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 80-1169754111 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:14 am

You forgot the album Yellow Submarine and The Magical Mystery Tour (which was released in the US in 1967). I'm not entirely sure what my favourite Beatles albums truly is. It's quite hard to pick, because I own every album including their latest one and I throughly rejoice in listening to some truly remarkable music.

I love their earlier music to their latter music, I feel that albums such as Please, Please Me, With The Beatles, A hard days night, Help! and Rubber soul were far better than Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, Hey Jude, The White album and so on.

I often feel as though their earlier works is ignored by their later works, which is a grave shame, songs like I saw her standing there, misery, chains, ask me why. don't bother me and the rest are classics more so than their older material.

I went with the cliche and voted for Revolver.
80-1169754111

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:15 am

Nice vid that anfieldadorer :)
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:56 am

PacemakerAlonso wrote:You forgot the album Yellow Submarine and The Magical Mystery Tour (which was released in the US in 1967).

Only ten available spaces in a poll, lad, so I had to be selective.  Agree, though, that the brilliance of their early stuff often gets overlooked...primarily due to the brilliance of their later stuff! :cool:

By the way, was at the movies last night ("Pan's Labyrinth") and in the "pre-credits" (as they are calling the glut of adverts, naff trivia and other junk they slap up on the screen before the show starts these days) they had a music video for "Within You Without You."  It was quite pyschedelic and rather strange--mostly because the clips of the band seem to have been taken from the "All You Need Is Love" live tv performance that Woof posted up earlier in this thread!  It was utterly random but still a nice break from the popcorn and nachos adverts! :nod
Last edited by Bad Bob on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Non Football Related Polls