6%

Total votes : 16

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:12 pm

the smiths ude, the greatest writing team since l and m
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Without reading the rest of the thread, as soon as I saw the title, I just replied.  So I've not seen what's written above.

Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles album, and I have every single one of the Beatles albums on my iPod.  Absolute quality from start to finish.  Starts with Come Together.  Say no more.  Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopus's Garden are fun pop songs and whether you like it or not, they will get stuck in your head.  McCartney's voice, the bassline, the piano, guitars, everything about Oh Darling make it a fantastic 'Blues' number for me.  Then the second part of the album is just a massive continuous mash of song after song after song without any breaks, going from the fast feet stomper Polythene Pam and then you're hit with a classic ballad from McCartney in Golden Slumbers. 

I think the whole album lasts not much longer than half an hour and you can just sit there and have it on in the background and let it take over.  Fantastic.

Special mention to the Let It Be album as well.  Close second for me.  I used to buy Melody maker, NME, Q, Select etc... years ago and they all agreed at some point or other that Revolver was probably the best album ever released by any band.  Can't agree, it's all down to personal choice isn't it?  Abbey Road just does it for me.

My favourite song of theirs which I suppose is a B-Side and not released on any album is Rain.

Now I'll read the rest of the thread.
jonnymac1979

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:31 pm

Anyone had a listen to "Let it Be...Naked"?  Meant to be a stripped down version of the album, dispensing with the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" approach on the original release that fecked McCartney off so much. Not heard it myself but I'd be intrigued to hear the difference. ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:31 am

this ones a bit unique
http://www.beatallica.org/beatallica.html
the beatles-metallica bred

hey dude
leper madonna
blackened the USSR

:D

songs are free to download
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:59 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:this ones a bit unique
http://www.beatallica.org/beatallica.html
the beatles-metallica bred

hey dude
leper madonna
blackened the USSR

songs are free to download

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Feckin' class, mate!  That dude has Hetfield down! :buttrock

Lots of great tracks there but my undoubted favourite: "Got to Get You Trapped Under Ice."

I'm cryin' here!   :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:06 pm

To be honest, I could talk about the Beatles all day. Infact me and a mate got into an old argument the other day with regards to who was better out of the Beatles and the Stones, even though I absolutely love them both for different reasons.

Stones 67 - 71 was probably the greatest rock'n roll band ever. "Sympathy for the Devil", "Brown Sugar", "Gimme Shelter", "You can't always get what you want", "Street Fighting Man", "Ruby Tuesday"...the list seems endless.

Beatles, on the other hand, made greater pop songs in terms of melody and catching lyrics. Stuff like "Eleanor Rigby", "And your bird can sing", "Here Comes the Sun" and "The Long and Winding Road"...as good as it gets. They could rock too, of course (Helter Skelter springs to mind), but when it comes to rock'n roll, I'll pick Stones ahead of anything.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:12 pm

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  No remorseful reply is exactly what I'd expect from a Japanese punk band .
f'uckin' brilliant   

Anni , do you have any links to Beatles Ska stuff ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:30 pm

stmichael wrote:To be honest, I could talk about the Beatles all day. Infact me and a mate got into an old argument the other day with regards to who was better out of the Beatles and the Stones, even though I absolutely love them both for different reasons.

Stones 67 - 71 was probably the greatest rock'n roll band ever. "Sympathy for the Devil", "Brown Sugar", "Gimme Shelter", "You can't always get what you want", "Street Fighting Man", "Ruby Tuesday"...the list seems endless.

Beatles, on the other hand, made greater pop songs in terms of melody and catching lyrics. Stuff like "Eleanor Rigby", "And your bird can sing", "Here Comes the Sun" and "The Long and Winding Road"...as good as it gets. They could rock too, of course (Helter Skelter springs to mind), but when it comes to rock'n roll, I'll pick Stones ahead of anything.

Many people forget the Beatles early years when they were arguably the best rock'n roll band this side of the atlantic whilst the stones if anything where in fact more of a "blues" band.. John Lennon and particularly Paul McCartney had fantastic rock n' roll voices . Listen to stuff like .

(1963)
I Saw Her Standing There
Twist and Shout
Roll over Beethoven

(1964)
Slow Down
Long Tall Sally

(1965)
Rock n' roll Music
Mr Moonlight
Kansas City

Rock n' Roll doesn't come much better than this .

ps For what is worth the Rolling Stones are probabably the finest  live performance band I've ever seen (followed closely by Pink Floyd and Queen).

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:35 pm

woof, being 25 years old i bow to your superior knowledge of all things music. :D

all i'll say is the beatles were more pop, but they branched out and created music and sounds no-one had ever heard before whilst remaining catchy and popular. look at tomorrow never knows, that’s amazing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:56 pm

ive never really seen the big deal with the beatles tho, i dont own any of there albums. im the same with all that music, stones, who whatever, dont own any of it. got some donovan, maybe a doors album somewhere... but thats it. gimme the strokes above them any day sorry.

(i still say revolver is the best tho)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:25 pm

dawson99 wrote:ive never really seen the big deal with the beatles tho, i dont own any of there albums. im the same with all that music, stones, who whatever, dont own any of it. got some donovan, maybe a doors album somewhere... but thats it. gimme the strokes above them any day sorry.

(i still say revolver is the best tho)

Dawsino , Donovans "Sunshine Superman" and "Mellow Yellow " albums are a must for any self respecting hippies music collection .

The sun was going down behind a tattoo tree
And the simple act of an oar’s stroke put diamonds in the
sea
And all because of the phosphorus there in quantity
As I dug you digging me in Mexico

There in the Valley of Scorpio beneath the cross of jade
Smoking on a seashell pipe the gypsies had made
We sat and we dreamed awhile of smugglers bringing wine
That crystal-thought time in Mexico

Sitting in a chair of bamboo sipping grenadine
Straining my eyes for a surfacing submarine
Kingdoms of ants walk across my feet
I’m a-shaking in my seat in Mexico

Grasshoppers creaking in the velvet jungle night
Microscopic circles in the fluid of my sight
Watching a black-eyed native girl cut and trim the lamp
Valentino vamp in Mexico

The sun was going down behind a tattoo tree
And the simple act of an oar’s stroke put diamonds in the
sea
And all because of the phosphorus there in quantity
As I dug you digging me in Mexico

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:26 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
stmichael wrote:To be honest, I could talk about the Beatles all day. Infact me and a mate got into an old argument the other day with regards to who was better out of the Beatles and the Stones, even though I absolutely love them both for different reasons.

Many people forget the Beatles early years when they were arguably the best rock'n roll band this side of the atlantic whilst the stones if anything where in fact more of a "blues" band.. John Lennon and particularly Paul McCartney had fantastic rock n' roll voices . Listen to stuff like .

(1963)
I Saw Her Standing There
Twist and Shout
Roll over Beethoven

(1964)
Slow Down
Long Tall Sally

(1965)
Rock n' roll Music
Mr Moonlight
Kansas City

Rock n' Roll doesn't come much better than this .

ps For what is worth the Rolling Stones are probabably the finest  live performance band I've ever seen (followed closely by Pink Floyd and Queen).

Yup, and the intro riff to "I Feel Fine" is an absolute belter...pure rock n' roll!  :nod

Special mention to "Drive My Car," "Day Tripper" and "Paperback Writer" as well on that score.  Their pop sensibilities did not stop them from making some quality rock n' roll down the years.  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:50 pm

Saw The Stones at Cardiff with Taff last August.  Had a spare ticket so Taff took it off me and we had a few pints.

Weren't really the biggest Stones fan before but it's the fucking Stones we're talking about so there was no way I wasn't going.  But they were proper shit hot.  Listen to them quite a lot these days and always throw the foot stompers on in my local.  Think there's only about four people in my pub who like it when I throw them on the jukey though.

Actually, listening to Get Off My Cloud now co-incidentally!!!!

So anyway, The Beatles...  :D
jonnymac1979

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:00 am

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:09 pm

woof woof ! wrote:beatles reggae remix

:)

blimey woof. to say i was pleasantly surprised by that would be an understatement.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Non Football Related Polls