Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:09 pm

:D :D :D Nick Barmby was good though.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Murphious » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:25 pm

stmichael wrote:
maximus wrote:
marklfc wrote:somebody told me that the money houllier wasted could of paid for a new stadium

can somebody please work it all out and tell how far from the truth it is

Up to July 2003:

Liverpool transfer dealings under Gerard Houllier (appointed sole manager 12.11.98):

IN: Ferri (£1.5m), Kippe (£700,000), Song (£2.7m), Traore (£550,000), Camara (£2.8m), Hyypia (£2.6m), Meijer (free), Henchoz (£3.5m), Westerveld (£4m), Hamann (£8m), Smicer (£4m), Heskey (£11m), Diomede (£3m), Babbel (free), Arphexad (free), McAllister (free), Barmby (£6m), Ziege (£5.5m), Vignal (£500,000), Sjolund (£1m), Biscan (£5.5m), Litmanen (free), Riise (£4m), Baros (£3.4m), Dudek (£4.85m), Kirkland (£6m), Anelka (loan), Xavier (£800,000), Le Tallec and Simana-Pongolet (£6m for both), Diarra (free), Cheyrou (£4m), Diao (£4m), Diouf (£10m), Luzi (loan), Finnan (£3.5m), Kewell (£7m). TOTAL: £116m.   :(

Stadium is costing approx. 120 million

frightening. absolutely frightening. :(

We finished 2nd in 2001-02 & 2002-03 season we went 13 games unbeaten.

Anyway do you want to know? It really is quite simple and heartbreakingly we STILL haven't fully recovered from it, although we are making strides in the right direction.

The answer = Houllier lost the plot. As he accused Stevie of once doing, he himself started to believe his own hype.

Reasons:

Liverpool had just finished 2nd, above Man U for the 1st time in god knows how long and only an amazing last 12 games or so from Arsenal stopped us making it 19. Risse had been a revelation in his 1st season, Fowler had been sold to Leeds for a laughable £11m (thanks Ridsdale), Anelka had slotted in nicely.

Then...

GH returned 'fully' from his illness a different person, after worryingly IMO costing LFC a CL semi place with his mystifying Hamann substitution. Then that summer he didn't go to the world cup for the 1st time in ages, maybe he should have. We were all expecting Anelka to be signed permanently, we were hoping the club would find the cash for the available Duff, Terry was apparently unhappy at a pre-russian skint Chelsea and available for £5millionish.

Houllier did the following:

Let Anelka go.
Annnounced £12m was too much for Duff.
Didn't follow up on Terry.
Signed Diouf (who?) for £10m
Signed Diao (who?) for £5m
Signed Cheyrou (who?) for £4m

Allowed Redknapp to leave early on a free
Allowed Jari L to leave early on a free
Gary Mac retired
He didn't replace any of them

Add to this the best right back in the league (Babbel) had his career finished, out of sentiment (understandable but oh how costly) GH failed to replace him.

To summarise in 2 short months GH set the wheels in motion to RUIN EVERYTHING he had done so well to build up over the previous 4 years.

So there you go, in a nutshell. It genuinely makes me weep.  :down:

Totally agree with ya there mate.

I'm guessin in Houllier's eyes he had replaced
Gary Mac with Cheyrou
Redknapp with Diao
and Jari L with Diouf

bit like one of those math equations that only he could answer.
Murphious

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:33 pm

Twenty million pounds down the sh!tter.  :angry: :angry:
jonnymac1979

Postby matrix » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:03 am

scary picture thank god that is the past

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:19 am

£20m lost... thats what makes me hate the houllier reign most..bought them sh*t players and we went down. signings as bad as that are the past
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Magician » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:02 pm

According to Gerard Houllier when he signed Bruno Cheyrou he was the new Zidane. What an insult to the french genius. Again when he signed Salif Diao the new Patrick Vieira again what an insult to the frenchman. i am glad we got rid of Houllier because things couldnt of carried on the way they were going.
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magician

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:05 pm

The Magician wrote:According to Gerard Houllier when he signed Bruno Cheyrou he was the new Zidane. What an insult to the french genius.

I agree.

Zidane's not fit to lace his boots. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby DrTNT » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:26 pm

ALONSO_14 wrote:£20m lost... thats what makes me hate the houllier reign most..bought them sh*t players and we went down. signings as bad as that are the past

I know Rafa will never put us through that ever in his time with us, that will hopefully be for many years to come.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby Afroman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:36 pm

He didn't do too badly his signings won us a treble and the next year came second in the league.
Fair enough he made some bad signings but every manager does.
Admittedly he wouldn't have won us the Champions league but he was a good manager
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:47 pm

guys, Diouf looked a boss player after the southampton home game remember? HE SCORED TWICE! he played brilliant in the world cup and last season he did well at Bolton. He was a waste of 10m, and this was down to his bad attitude and lack of confidence from Houllier. I really do think he could have been the best in the prem, he just didnt try hard enough.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PinkPantha » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:51 pm

What an ugly goalkeeper jersey we had
PinkPantha

Postby y cymro » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:35 pm

Houllier was not all good nor all bad. Some signings were not up to it (eg Dioau Biscan). In other cases he did not have the ability to get the best out of others. e.g. they did not fit in (Diouf);were not given a fair crack of the whip (Cheyrou); were not consistant (Smicer) or some only look bad with hindsight(Kewell). Houlier also did some good business (was wrong to sell Robbie Fowler when he did? No it was good business - what has he done since). By the way I notice that Bordeaux are doing far better than last year with CVheyrou playing and starring in all 4 games and scoring the winner on Saturday (Smicer was sub).???
y cymro

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:15 pm

Well said. But we should never forget those previous years.
What the hell was going on in his head that summer? Do you think he had a midlife crisis.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:59 pm

to think thats £20 mil worth of talent there   shocking, absolutley shocking

replace "talent" with Cr@p and your statement is correct
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:03 pm

You know what p*sses me off the most, salif Diao, no one wants him he is on a first team wage, the transfer deadline is up next week.
Its a sad state of affairs we may have to pay him around 3 million to get shut of him. ARGHHHHHHHHHH what a f*ckin waste of money :veryangry
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge