Cisse vs the rest - Warning - contains statistics

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby TheoRacle » Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 am

Lol - should take the 'statistics' bit out of the thread title yeah?
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 10, 2006 1:56 am

You know, Theo, I'm coming around.  The avalanche of statistics helps as does watching Cisse carefully over the last few weeks.  It's time for me to hold my hand up--as one who's criticized him on this forum--and say I've been a tad harsh with our Djibril.

Now, don't get me wrong, I doubt I'll ever rate Cisse as highly as, say, Robbie but I have to give credit where credit is due: 20 goals in all comps (before Cardiff, mind) is a very solid return for a player that does not get a lot of minutes up front.

I have my doubts about the lad against the top clubs but he's demonstrated that he can be quite effective against the league's lesser lights, which was presumably part of the reason why Rafa bought Crouch, wasn't it?  In this regard, I've take note of Cisse's performances in recent games.  He fundamentally changed the game against Portsmouth, with a great assist and a very composed goal.  Against Villa his hustle caused him to race 40 yards, beat Melberg to the ball, cut into the box and feed Crouch for a chance the big man should have buried.  And, other performances against West Ham and West Brom recently show that Cisse can still terrorize poor defenses. 

Now, he'll probably never have a great amount of finesse to his forward play but he definitely does contribute.  Which, at the end of the day (or season, as it were) is what we're looking for right?  Cisse offers something quite different from our other forwards and thus gives us options.  Suppose next season "new striker x", Robbie and Crouchy are knackered/crocked/out of form and we're scheduled to play Sheffield United in Sheffield.  Having Cisse as an option in those situations would probably prove very useful (as it has in recent weeks this season).

For me, barring the funds to bring in 2 established, quality strikers (at least one with proven Premiership pedigree), I'd be inclined to hold onto Cisse and ship out Nando.  As I've said in another thread, I still rate Nando and see him as a decent fella but he's a bit redundant in a side that already has Robbie (who's turning into a nice play-maker as well as a great finisher).

There, I've said it.  I can't quite believe it, but there it is for all to see.  Cisse's convinced me that he deserves at least 1 more year.  Will wonders never cease!

:upside:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby pur3 rav3r » Wed May 10, 2006 4:11 pm

yay ppl r finally starting to relise that cisse is a gs player
R.I.P to the 96 that lost there lives on 15th of april 1989
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"
pur3 rav3r
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Thu May 11, 2006 12:44 am

pur3 rav3r wrote:yay ppl r finally starting to relise that cisse is a gs player

I don't think we are quite getting that carried away! - if I am interpreting your text speak correctly :D .

Just that a lot of the criticism is over the top and he's done O.K. - not brilliantly and not as badly as some are saying - just O.K.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Sat May 13, 2006 1:21 pm

I have always been a great fan of Cisse and I really want him to stay. Hopefully he will, and will get more starts up front next season and will prove that he is our best striker. If he gets the same opportunities next year as Crouch has this year, then everyone will know that the £14 million we payed for him was not such a waste of money after all.

Keep Cisse, get rid of Morientes!
Graeme Noble

Postby onizukaeikichi » Sun May 14, 2006 10:24 am

same here, play him as a striker and have gerrard support him from the back... very often we see him drift to the wing because he's too used to going there now, rafa should tell him to stay in the middle if he is playing as a striker, please let him stay, morientes must go ( i feel bad since he puts a lot of affort when he plays )
onizukaeikichi

Postby Livor » Tue May 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Cisse is a good player, but he just hasnt been given enough starts, he has been mostly decided over moreintes who hasnt even been picked for the spain squad, but cisse has he even proven he was a red, by wearing red to his wedding which i fount funny at the time. Cisse has shown by the stats above that he is a goal scorer and rafe has grown in confedience by picking him in his starting line up, he will prove by staying at liverpool what a world class player he can become:D
Livor

Postby duk » Sat May 20, 2006 2:21 pm

i know this will probably not even be considered in RB's head
bt
out of the 4 strikers (5 if you want to included Garcia) Crouch is the weak link
i think Folwer has been our best striker this season by far and im glad he is stayin, cisse has an atitude problem bt on his day performs very well, Crouch tho misses more than he scores... and most of the time its easier to score, i didn't like the idea of him joining us (7mill!!!) and he hasn't impressed, lovely lad but nt such a good footballer
duk

Postby kelvuk » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:47 am

Cisse for Fred seems like a fair deal!?!
As rumours are going Lyon look the most likely team to sign Cisse, so why can't a deal be drawn up to bring the young talented Brazilian Striker to Anfield...where such talent belongs!?  Any views? :)
kelvuk

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge