Vlad smicer - Thanks for the memories

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:26 am

Istanbul hero Smicer retires from football November 10th, 2009   
Istanbul hero Smicer retires from football

Vladimir Smicer, who scored the second of Liverpool’s three goals in a remarkable second half comeback in the 2005 European Cup Final against AC Milan, has retired from football at the age of 36.

Smicer, signed by Gerard Houllier in the summer of 1999 for £4.2million from Lens following the departure of Steve McManaman to Real Madrid, will now take over as manager of the Czech Republic national team.

Smicer won a collection of trophies in his six years at Anfield, culminating in the Champions League triumph in Istanbul in 2005, before he was left for Bordeaux that summer. His goal and subsequent celebrations mean Vladi will always be fondly remembered on Merseyside.

Since then Smicer has returned to the club he began his career, Slavia Prague and faced injury problems, meaning he’s only made 23 appearances for the club since his return in 2007.

“I am not able to help Slavia on the field. I can no longer give it 100 percent,” he said in a statement upon his retirement. “My head and my heart want me to carry on but my body says no.”

-----------------------------------

While he was made of glass and a little timid, I always thought he was a clever player who had a great footballing brain and that with a bit of luck could have had a great career with us. All that changed in Istanbul. Vlad DID have a great career with us. Thanks for the memories and good luck in your new career.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30 am

The only man to score in the same Champions League final on two different days  :bowdown
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:42 am

Always thought he was too light weight for this league.
The only thing I really remember of him is Istanbul.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:54 am

When everyone was screaming pass the fecking ball , we didnt mean it Vladi,  :;): thank you though though for one of the best nights of my life :nod
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:44 am

Good luck vlad!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:09 am

Will always remember that goal - and the short lived celebration as rafa told him to calm down.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:14 am

Top guy missed him when he left was a great little player for us had 2 good feet and he could thump a shot as well as any one on his day.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 am

He was always injured, intelligent player with good technical skills but never seemed to hit it off with the fans. Played better for Czeck Republic than us but scored an important goal that gave us the belief we could overturn the match. His name will always be associated with that great night in Turkey and deserves the thread. Probably be a good manager as he was a thinking player.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Another Houllier signing that never lived up to hopes and expectations. Did well to survive as long as he did

EDIT : wouldn't mind a Smicer on the bench given our current standard
Last edited by Owzat on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Rush Job wrote:Always thought he was too light weight for this league.

you're right. We paid a lot of money for him and he was never up to scratch. Spent most of his time injured from what i can remember.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:40 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

you're right. We paid a lot of money for him and he was never up to scratch. Spent most of his time injured from what i can remember.

:p  i wernt a great fan of Vladi Smicer but to read that from someone darin to go under the moniker 7_Kewell is a little ironic dontcha think??  :suspect:

No offence meant personally mate, and we all have our favrits but that'd be the same game Kewell cried out of (thankfully) that made a hero outta Smicer.

And yeah, I know Kewell's transfer wernt expensive but i wonder what his actual total cost per minute and cost per goal/assist wud work out to be.......

Smicer did far more in that one game than the dingo did in his entire time at Anfield, sorry. Except maybe when Kewell hammered Gary Neville in the game against that sh!t3 after he med a tw@ of himself at the theatre of queens!!
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:13 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:

:p  i wernt a great fan of Vladi Smicer but to read that from someone darin to go under the moniker 7_Kewell is a little ironic dontcha think??  :suspect:

No offence meant personally mate, and we all have our favrits but that'd be the same game Kewell cried out of (thankfully) that made a hero outta Smicer.

And yeah, I know Kewell's transfer wernt expensive but i wonder what his actual total cost per minute and cost per goal/assist wud work out to be.......

Smicer did far more in that one game than the dingo did in his entire time at Anfield, sorry. Except maybe when Kewell hammered Gary Neville in the game against that sh!t3 after he med a tw@ of himself at the theatre of queens!!

well i can't change my user name, so i'm stuck with it. But Harry was a very good player before his injuries.  Vlad wasn't.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge