Michael Owen, a reminder...

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:36 am

Found this on youtube...

The commentator is a bit of a dope but found myself watching the hole thing...

Anyone that doubts how good a player this lad was is insane. The quality of the goals he scored is simply beyond belief. Was watching some of the touches, finishes, composure, movement and speed and remembered just how good he was.

May have let himself down later in his career and may have been badly unlucky with his fitness but at his best I still maintain he was right up there with the greatest players to play for Liverpool.

Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:31 am

Owen was always going to be a shooting star. When he came on the scene he had an electric pace that no one could handle and when you added to that his incredibly mature head for his age and coolness in front of goal he was always going to shine. He took our Penalties at eighteen and that is when we had Fowler just to illustrate what a cool finisher he was. His greatest attribute however was his pace especially with the ball. When he was first coming through he had a wispy body but as he got older and filled out he became stockier and lost that explosive pace. His filling out was also for me a reason why he started suffering injuries. When he was eighteen and tore through the Argentinian defence he was the best in the world but by the time he reached 22 he was not as wispy or as fast and declined as a player. He was always a great finisher and cool infront of goal but once he lost that yard of space he was not the same player. If you see pictures of Owen at eighteen and then at 26, he became quite stocky in comparison which was his downfall, in contrast to Rooney who relies less on pace but rather power and technical abilities.

He was also very tough with a mean streak as proven when he got red carded against Manure for breaking their  big defenders leg (can't remember the dopes name), the defender was egging him on all match and Owen snapped his ankle like a twig  :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:27 am

I will always have fond memories of Michael Owen, I won't let Utd take that away from me.

Same applies for Torres. Each time I watch his goals for Liverpool it invokes great memories and reminds me of how much of a world class player he was. I'd even go as far as saying that, at his peak, Torres was more of a threat than Suarez is today.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 pm

kazza » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:31 am wrote:Owen was always going to be a shooting star. When he came on the scene he had an electric pace that no one could handle and when you added to that his incredibly mature head for his age and coolness in front of goal he was always going to shine. He took our Penalties at eighteen and that is when we had Fowler just to illustrate what a cool finisher he was. His greatest attribute however was his pace especially with the ball. When he was first coming through he had a wispy body but as he got older and filled out he became stockier and lost that explosive pace. His filling out was also for me a reason why he started suffering injuries. When he was eighteen and tore through the Argentinian defence he was the best in the world but by the time he reached 22 he was not as wispy or as fast and declined as a player. He was always a great finisher and cool infront of goal but once he lost that yard of space he was not the same player. If you see pictures of Owen at eighteen and then at 26, he became quite stocky in comparison which was his downfall, in contrast to Rooney who relies less on pace but rather power and technical abilities.

He was also very tough with a mean streak as proven when he got red carded against Manure for breaking their  big defenders leg (can't remember the dopes name), the defender was egging him on all match and Owen snapped his ankle like a twig  :laugh:

His pace was obviously his main attribute. But alot of tools make out thats all he had. You only need to watch that video and see some of the touches, finishes, movement and composure to see how good he was. There at times when he re adjusted his feet so quickly to fashion a chance, or he'd let the ball do the work and roll across him and times when you thought, there was no threat to the opposition then bang, it was in the back of the net. His ability to turn defence into attack was second to no-one in that period and I include Ronaldo who was an expert in that himself.

Also if you look a the power in his finishing, you could stick any keeper in goal for those finishes and they wouldn't get anywhere near them. The lad was lethal. Some stunning goals on there, loved the one against coventry after about 18 minutes where he turned Shaw and Hendry inside out in the 18 yard box :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:13 am

He had much more than pace but it was the pace that made him world class and one of the top players in the world. His technical skills were excellent and he had a very calm head. When he lost that blistering pace and wispy, flexible body he went from being a great player to good player. Watching his goals were always good but I also loved watching him run with the ball cutting left and right before unbalancing a defender and making them look stupid. He should never be a legend however as he left us and worse still joined Manure to "win things". Their manager and fans only accepted him due to spite but luckily by the time he joined them he was no more than an average player.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 pm

I was at the FA Cup final against Arsenal at Cardiff when for the first eighty minutes we weren't even in second place !! We were down a somewhat lucky 1-0 and somehow Michael manages to score two brilliant goals in the last ten minutes to lift the cup. Fantastic occasion and I will always thank the mercenary little git for that  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:07 pm

devaney » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 pm wrote:I was at the FA Cup final against Arsenal at Cardiff when for the first eighty minutes we weren't even in second place !! We were down a somewhat lucky 1-0 and somehow Michael manages to score two brilliant goals in the last ten minutes to lift the cup. Fantastic occasion and I will always thank the mercenary little git for that  :laugh:

A horrible little mercenary git... can't stand what he done.

However, as a player, the lad was a pure genius and absolutely no question world class. One of the best we've ever had and hugely underrated by our own.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:04 am

The club got themselves into a right mess with both Owen and McManaman. Neither of them should have been allowed to dictate matters in the way that we did with the result that we got virtually fk all for the two of them. To think that Real Madrid made a £10m profit on Owen after a year when he had been nothing more than a part player for them was very difficult to suffer.  A lot of Footballers are mercenaries and Owen was allowed to get away with treating the club with zero respect that had given him the opportunity to play for one of the greatest teams in the world. I will never forgive him for that.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:22 am

devaney » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:04 am wrote:The club got themselves into a right mess with both Owen and McManaman. Neither of them should have been allowed to dictate matters in the way that we did with the result that we got virtually fk all for the two of them. To think that Real Madrid made a £10m profit on Owen after a year when he had been nothing more than a part player for them was very difficult to suffer.  A lot of Footballers are mercenaries and Owen was allowed to get away with treating the club with zero respect that had given him the opportunity to play for one of the greatest teams in the world. I will never forgive him for that.

I'm not quite as against Owen as most. But understand why some are of that opinion.

I do believe he was greedy, however I also believe that the club royally f*cked up when he was here. How can a side with Owen, Gerrard, Fowler and Hyypia not be serious contenders for a league title? Houllier (who I was a fan of) made a complete mess of things in all honesty, he over played Michael, underplayed Robbie and built his side around Heskey rather than Fowler and Owen.

Fowler and Owen should have let our attack for years, they should have been the best strike force we ever had, in terms of ability, for me they're the best pair to play together, unfortunately the style of play was awful and didn't suit Robbie at all. In truth, it probably didn't get the best out of Owen either.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 am wrote:
devaney » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:04 am wrote:The club got themselves into a right mess with both Owen and McManaman. Neither of them should have been allowed to dictate matters in the way that we did with the result that we got virtually fk all for the two of them. To think that Real Madrid made a £10m profit on Owen after a year when he had been nothing more than a part player for them was very difficult to suffer.  A lot of Footballers are mercenaries and Owen was allowed to get away with treating the club with zero respect that had given him the opportunity to play for one of the greatest teams in the world. I will never forgive him for that.

I'm not quite as against Owen as most. But understand why some are of that opinion.

I do believe he was greedy, however I also believe that the club royally f*cked up when he was here. How can a side with Owen, Gerrard, Fowler and Hyypia not be serious contenders for a league title? Houllier (who I was a fan of) made a complete mess of things in all honesty, he over played Michael, underplayed Robbie and built his side around Heskey rather than Fowler and Owen.

Fowler and Owen should have let our attack for years, they should have been the best strike force we ever had, in terms of ability, for me they're the best pair to play together, unfortunately the style of play was awful and didn't suit Robbie at all. In truth, it probably didn't get the best out of Owen either.

Don't agree that Owen and Fowler forms the best strike force. Both were finishers they don't play off each other very well. Fowler was one of the best instinctive finisher I've seen and Owen was one of the best technical finisher I've ever seen. However both of them were not as complete as Suarez. And both of them peaked too early. When Owen was at his peak, Fowler was no longer at his peak. But I would've liked to see Gerrard at his peak with Owen under Rafa. That would've been a good partnership similar to Gerrard torres.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:36 am wrote:Found this on youtube...

The commentator is a bit of a dope but found myself watching the hole thing...

Anyone that doubts how good a player this lad was is insane. The quality of the goals he scored is simply beyond belief. Was watching some of the touches, finishes, composure, movement and speed and remembered just how good he was.

May have let himself down later in his career and may have been badly unlucky with his fitness but at his best I still maintain he was right up there with the greatest players to play for Liverpool.

Are you the real Stu ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Owen gave us some magical memories, but i can never forgive him for joining the scum... some things are simply not done  :censored:
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:14 am

I remember first watching Michael in a under 15's match England vs Germany at Wembley and he was electric. . He played on the shoulder of the back man the whole game and timed his runs to perfection. I knew straight away this kid was gonna be special.

Robbie Fowler was our main man at this point and the thought of him and Owen playing together was an exciting prospect. Both were legends of this club, one will be remembered as god and unfortunately the other will be remembered for turning his back on us joining the scum.

I'll never forget Michaels comment When he won the title with United.. "if you can't beat em, join em"
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge