Lfc greatest player - Lfc poll result..

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby zarababe » Sun May 08, 2005 9:22 pm

Votes for the clubs greatest ever player have been revealed on LFC.tv ... read on ..

"Back in August 2004, the online polls opened for supporters to vote for the club's greatest ever player. Out of a cast of hundreds of true Anfield legends, a shortlist of 20 of the best players to ever pull on the red shirt was drawn up and after an astonishing 39,358 votes were cast - the biggest ever poll involving Liverpool fans - one man emerged the clear winner.

Take a bow Kenny Dalglish. King Kenny polled 17,993 votes - 46% of the total vote. While the winner will surprise no one, there were a few surprises lower down the list with Michael Owen coming in third place with Ian Rush - the Minister for Attack - a clear runner up to Dalglish with just over eight thousand votes.

The Top 20 Greatest Ever Liverpool Players

1. K Dalglish 17,933
2. I Rush 8,060
3. M Owen 3,836
4. R Fowler 2,571
5. J Barnes 2,053
6. K Keegan 1,276
7. E Hughes 904
8. A Hansen 636
9. G Souness 532
10. B Liddell 464
11. R Hunt 229
12. R Clemence 201
13. I Callaghan 200
14. I St John 117
15. R Kennedy 109
16. P Neal 94
17. R Yeats 44
18. E Scott 38
19. G Hodgson 32
20. A Raisbeck 29

NB: To prevent some of our young visitors voting the player with the biggest jeep or our most recent scorer our greatest ever player, all current squad members were excluded from the vote. "

No real surprises.. some great names makes u proud.. and Dalglish.. well what can u say .. a true legend... (the real one not you Ian .. :D )
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun May 08, 2005 9:32 pm

Can't argue with the top two.  Can't argue with three and four close behind neither with Barnesy fifth. 

Different eras.  Liverpool first caught my eye dramatically after watching them thrash Everton in the '86 Cup Final, when Ian Rush simply stole the show.  Dalglish was the manager and we won the Double.

Then Fowler and Owen in the Nineties.  Brought a ray of sunshine didn't they?

I suppose this poll goes on what era you watched the club, I can only say that having watched on DVD, read interviews or in rare cases actually met and shook hands with some of the players listed above, this club has had some of the best players and personalities in the game.  If I would have first noticed Liverpool FC in or around 1965, I would argue for Sir Roger. 

But Kenny wins hands down doesn't he?
jonnymac1979

Postby zarababe » Mon May 09, 2005 7:04 pm

..true Herr Mod :D

..a lot depends on which era u watched the team play in .. but I was surprised that Beardesly did not make it.. when u consider the contribution he made in that team led by Dalglish.. and the awesome Barnes.. wooo .. but it just goes to show how much talent we have been fortunate to watch wearing thee red shirt :)
Last edited by zarababe on Tue May 10, 2005 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 09, 2005 11:40 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Can't argue with the top two.  Can't argue with three and four close behind neither with Barnesy fifth. 

Different eras.  Liverpool first caught my eye dramatically after watching them thrash Everton in the '86 Cup Final, when Ian Rush simply stole the show.  Dalglish was the manager and we won the Double.

Then Fowler and Owen in the Nineties.  Brought a ray of sunshine didn't they?

I suppose this poll goes on what era you watched the club, I can only say that having watched on DVD, read interviews or in rare cases actually met and shook hands with some of the players listed above, this club has had some of the best players and personalities in the game.  If I would have first noticed Liverpool FC in or around 1965, I would argue for Sir Roger. 

But Kenny wins hands down doesn't he?

joking aren`t you mate - owen 3rd and fowler fourth?
roger hunt scored more goals for us than the pair of them put together, not to mention souness was the driving force behind a team that was the dominant force at home and in europe for six years. i could go on but i feel my words will fall on deaf ears.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:00 am

I'm 25, I don't remember Roger Hunt, even though I've met him a few times! :D

Like I said, the poll will be determined on what era you watched the club play.  It would be interesting to see the age demograhic of the voters in the poll.  Then we'll see why the top five were in that order.
jonnymac1979

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:03 am

dalglish was awsome, i used to love watching him, the best player we ever had by a mile. im not sure about owen being so high but as jonnymac says that probably due to demographics
112-1077774096

Postby stapo1000 » Wed May 11, 2005 12:14 am

younger voters(including me since i wasn't around to see the legends in the 80s and 90s altho people have told me king kenny was the greatest) would've gone with fowler and owen as they are the greatest lfc players in recent years.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kullinger » Wed May 11, 2005 6:46 pm

zarababe wrote:Votes for the clubs greatest ever player have been revealed on LFC.tv ... read on ..

"Back in August 2004, the online polls opened for supporters to vote for the club's greatest ever player. Out of a cast of hundreds of true Anfield legends, a shortlist of 20 of the best players to ever pull on the red shirt was drawn up and after an astonishing 39,358 votes were cast - the biggest ever poll involving Liverpool fans - one man emerged the clear winner.

Take a bow Kenny Dalglish. King Kenny polled 17,993 votes - 46% of the total vote. While the winner will surprise no one, there were a few surprises lower down the list with Michael Owen coming in third place with Ian Rush - the Minister for Attack - a clear runner up to Dalglish with just over eight thousand votes.

The Top 20 Greatest Ever Liverpool Players

1. K Dalglish 17,933
2. I Rush 8,060
3. M Owen 3,836
4. R Fowler 2,571
5. J Barnes 2,053
6. K Keegan 1,276
7. E Hughes 904
8. A Hansen 636
9. G Souness 532
10. B Liddell 464
11. R Hunt 229
12. R Clemence 201
13. I Callaghan 200
14. I St John 117
15. R Kennedy 109
16. P Neal 94
17. R Yeats 44
18. E Scott 38
19. G Hodgson 32
20. A Raisbeck 29

NB: To prevent some of our young visitors voting the player with the biggest jeep or our most recent scorer our greatest ever player, all current squad members were excluded from the vote. "

No real surprises.. some great names makes u proud.. and Dalglish.. well what can u say .. a true legend... (the real one not you Ian .. :D )

totally agree... :)
kullinger

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge