Babel

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:41 pm

The game had already been killed off with Mascherano being sent off. The Manc's had numerous chances from open play to kill the game off anyway, other than the corner from which Ronaldo scored from.

Babel's contribution was perfunctory at best.

He got in the position to put a cross in with his left foot, but couldn't, again.

Winning a couple of corners and a free kick doesn't constitute a good performance. Any half-decent player with pace could manage that on the counter, bomb it down the wing, make an ineffective cross and hope the ball ricochets out. He showed nothing against the Manc's that we didn't already know. He's got a bit of flair and pace that can be effective at times, but needs to work harder, focus and improve his decision making. In terms of end product, he's not giving us much, and I would have hoped for more than what we're getting.
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:21 pm

LFC2007 wrote:The game had already been killed off with Mascherano being sent off. The Manc's had numerous chances from open play to kill the game off anyway, other than the corner from which Ronaldo scored from.

He got in the position to put a cross in with his left foot, but couldn't, again.

Winning a couple of corners and a free kick doesn't constitute a good performance. Any half-decent player with pace could manage that on the counter, bomb it down the wing, make an ineffective cross and hope the ball ricochets out. He showed nothing against the Manc's that we didn't already know. He's got a bit of flair and pace that can be effective at times, but needs to work harder, focus and improve his decision making. In terms of end product, he's not giving us much, and I would have hoped for more than what we're getting.

Agreed....

Attitude IS the key... and as yet, he hasn't demonstrated that he has the right one. He needs to grow up and FAST if he wants to fulfill the potential that his abilities have hinted at.
ConnO'var

Postby Yari7 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:30 pm

LFC2007 wrote:The game had already been killed off with Mascherano being sent off. The Manc's had numerous chances from open play to kill the game off anyway, other than the corner from which Ronaldo scored from.

The sendign off killed the game off for us. Lets focus on the first 20 mins. He was our most dangerous players and contributed more to our attacks then anyone else.

Winning corners and free kicks in good positions is a chance to attack the goal. Man Utd have beat us so many times from set peices.

He did well up until the sending off.
Yari7

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:57 pm

He was poor, and showed nothing further to suggest that he's reaching his potential.
LFC2007

Postby azhan00 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:31 am

he can beat 2 - 3 defenders easily
but in the end the ball still failed to reach those waiting inside the box...
so there is no point in dribbling or making any good runs without the final pass....

he needs to know his main functions.. as a supplier....
and if and only if he got a very good chance.. then only he should go for goal :)
azhan00

Postby Yari7 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:26 am

azhan00 wrote:he can beat 2 - 3 defenders easily
but in the end the ball still failed to reach those waiting inside the box...
so there is no point in dribbling or making any good runs without the final pass....

he needs to know his main functions.. as a supplier....
and if and only if he got a very good chance.. then only he should go for goal :)

But if it wins you 2 corners then it is worthy. The other time, he was clear past the player and was fouled.

Just ask the Mancs how dangerous set peices can be. They have beat us from set plays so many times ofver the past few years.
Yari7

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Interesting interview with Babel from the offal:

BABEL: WHY COLD WATER IS HELPING ME THRIVE
Paul Eaton 26 March 2008
Ryan Babel has today revealed how an ice cold bath has helped him make a red hot start to his Anfield career.
The in-form Dutch winger is preparing for this weekend's crunch Merseyside derby having started nine of the last ten games for the Reds as Rafael Benitez's men have climbed into fourth place in the league and progressed to the last eight of the Champions League.

Babel admits he took time to adapt to the demands of English football but insists that, thanks in no small part to Rafa Benitez's methods, he is now thriving in his new environment.

"I'm learning so much here and again I can see that it's often the small details that make the difference," he said.

"After a match we have to stand in an ice bath for five minutes. You can be affected with cramp or lactic acid, and that causes small tears in the muscles, but by applying cold water it repairs the damage immediately.

"During pre-season I had to do it after every training session and it was so cold, really horrible. In the beginning I could only suffer it for half a minute and sometimes I stood with my tracksuit and socks on or I tried slyly to miss it.

"Even during training I was thinking about the dreaded cold water, but now I'm used to it – and it certainly works as I'm more flexible and feeling a lot better the next day."

Babel is confident his best is yet to come as he continues to build his fitness closer to the levels required for the 'crazy' world of English football.

"It's understandable I'm not playing 90 minutes. Physically I'm not yet at the point that I'm able to play 90 minutes in the crazy tempo of the Premier League," he added.

"Rafa Benitez said that he signed me because he wanted more players in the squad who can get past opponents. Of course my status as a young talent carries certain expectations but Liverpool see me as a rough diamond that needs to be cut and polished."

-----

Besides the stuff about the cold bath (maybe that's why Mascherano was in no hurry to leave the pitch :D ), I thought Babel's admission that he was not yet physically up to a full match in the Prem speaks volumes.  How is that possible for a lad his age who's featured regularly for the past month at least? ???
Last edited by Bad Bob on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:48 pm

"Even during training I was thinking about the dreaded cold water, but now I'm used to it – and it certainly works as I'm more flexible and feeling a lot better the next day."

Dreaded cold and water? bloody hell, we have Spaniards, and I never heard something like that. Didn't know Holland was hotter than Spain.

To be honest Bad Bob, it's quite strange the portion of text you highlight. I share the same questions.

The key point is the latter paragraph. I admit Babel has potential and he's young. But what we needed this season is a seasoned, experienced, in the verge of his career quality winger. Because we want to win the league. We didn't need a promising player nor more options, but a true winger.

Hoping to have Kewell fit was a big bet, and this is not handsight because everybody here doubted about that in summer.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yari7 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Kuyt was able to come from Holland to the premiership and play 90 minutes. I don't understand that? Why would he not be fit enough to play 90 mins. i don't think the Dutch league is that far behind the premiership.
Yari7

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:30 pm

It may sound harsh but there's nothing in that interview that doesn't reinforce my belief that Babel's just a bit of a Mary. ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby azhan00 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:18 am

oh no... what a news
how can a professional player with no injury concerns can't play in full 90 minutes....
azhan00

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:59 pm

because rafa has always played him for at most 60 minutes and very rarely for the whole match , only bolton game comes to my mind where he lasted 90 minutes and comparing him with kuyt well kuyt has to be the fittest player in the epl no doubt abt it and thats the difference
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azhan00 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:39 am

nobody to comment on his performance against everton? :D
i've read some on other topic....

IMO... he needs to improve..... and needs to do it very quickly..
otherwise, babel will be just another player in premeir league (nothing special)
azhan00

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:36 am

he's a good player complete in almost every department except his crossing whihc i have criticised all season , andhe shud work on the summer , a player shud be given credit where is due and his flaws shud also be pointed out .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yari7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:04 pm

Match of the Day did a good analysis on him. he is showing potential.
Yari7

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge