Leicester vs Liverpool 2nd Sep KO 12:30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:49 pm

electrum » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:44 pm wrote:We have had the best start in 28 years, absolutely. Does that mean we close our eyes to the glaring weaknesses that will cost us dearly if we don't address them?

And let's be honest our first four games we SHOULD expect to win if we have genuine title aspirations - WH, CP, Brighton and Leicester are not the leading lights - a little tricky one could argue but as I said losing to / drawing with these types is what had to change from the last couple of seasons

Just because you say it’s a weakness doesn’t actually mean it is and that same midfield last season helped get the team to the CL final and also into the top 4 - the first half today they were solid and controlled the game but second half it was a bit ragged and Leicester got back into the game - that’s going to happen , they are a good team , no midfield is going to dominate a game.

It’s early in the season people are still finding their feet - if the forwards finished a few more of the earlier chances in the last couple of games then the pressure would have been eased a little. It’s a solid unspectacular start to the season - we all know there is plenty more to go but the amount of people writing the team off already is a bit silly
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:56 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:49 pm wrote:Not a commanding performance or a definitive victory ,but we visited a ground which hasn't always been so accommodating in the past and we left with three points snatched from a side on the cusp of being a very good football team. However,I will say this ,if Lucas had given a free kick away in the last embers of the game in such a manner Milner did ,this forum would self combust .....Just saying  ??? It was rash ,careless and downright free of rational thought and commonsense.

My first thought when Milner gave that fre kick away was "fckin Lucas!"

Good win. Leicester are a good side who are well managed. International break came at a good time imo. We needed a bit of a rest and a reset. Hopefully everyone comes back fit and ready for a tough run of fixtures. The big games over the next month will get us back to our competitive best regardless of results.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby electrum » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas- that's exactly the point - this midfield got us into the top 4 - on the last day of the season,
No-one is writing off the team that's a ridiculous accusation to make.

The point is this- If we want to WIN the PL we need our midfield to be significantly better than last year. Our front three are sorted - GK and defence- check.
Believing that Hendo, Milner and Wijanaldum as regular first choice will somehow make up the gap on City is borderline delusional. Even if City drop 12 points from their total last year we have to make up more than 12 points on ours to pip them.

Keita has to be nailed on - Fabinho introduced ASAP and for me Milner or Wijnaldum as the third of the triumvirate.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:27 pm

electrum » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm wrote:Lallana in Pyjamas- that's exactly the point - this midfield got us into the top 4 - on the last day of the season,

The point is this- If we want to WIN the PL we need our midfield to be significantly better than last year. Our front three are sorted - GK and defence- check.
Believing that Hendo, Milner and Wijanaldum as regular first choice will somehow make up the gap on City is borderline delusional. Even if City drop 12 points from their total last year we have to make up more than 12 points on ours to pip them.

Keita has to be nailed on - Fabinho introduced ASAP and for me Milner or Wijnaldum as the third of the triumvirate.

Right now are front three aren’t firing As well as we know - they are missing a good number of chances , chances created by the guys behind , because those chances are being missed the pressure is increasing as the game goes and the guys in the middle retreat a little. Get those chances put away earlier and the pressure lifts.

Last season we would have been a lot closer but we dropped about 9-12 points in the last couple of weeks due to the CL run and we didn’t have the players on the bench

Right now Klopp has 5 guys that will play in the middle - the same three aren’t going to play week in week out - Klopp will mix and match depending on the opposition and how physical people are feeling - we have options now and strength to chose from. The midfield wasn’t a major worry last year and wasn’t the reason we were so far away from City - that was the backline along with the GK which were poor until VVD arrived and we also didn’t really have an option when Salah , Firmino and Mane were firing blanks - we now have that with Sturridge looking reborn and Shaqiri -

It’s a far stronger squad than last season and it’s already showing a lot of improvements from last season - and yes people are already writing them off
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Thought it was a good enough performance, the goalie howler aside. Sure, they dominated the midfield for a long period but they were never a threat to our goal. Leicester are no mugs either, they're a team that will finish in the top ten and we also always struggle against them at their place.

So that's two away wins against tricky oponents and 4 wins in a row. First time winning the opening 4 games as well. Can't really complain here.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 pm wrote:
electrum » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm wrote:Lallana in Pyjamas- that's exactly the point - this midfield got us into the top 4 - on the last day of the season,

Right now are front three aren’t firing As well as we know - they are missing a good number of chances , chances created by the guys behind , because those chances are being missed the pressure is increasing as the game goes and the guys in the middle retreat a little. Get those chances put away earlier and the pressure lifts.

Last season we would have been a lot closer but we dropped about 9-12 points in the last couple of weeks due to the CL run and we didn’t have the players on the bench

Right now Klopp has 5 guys that will play in the middle - the same three aren’t going to play week in week out - Klopp will mix and match depending on the opposition and how physical people are feeling - we have options now and strength to chose from. The midfield wasn’t a major worry last year and wasn’t the reason we were so far away from City - that was the backline along with the GK which were poor until VVD arrived and we also didn’t really have an option when Salah , Firmino and Mane were firing blanks - we now have that with Sturridge looking reborn and Shaqiri -

It’s a far stronger squad than last season and it’s already showing a lot of improvements from last season - and yes people are already writing them off

come on mate no one is writing anyone off but no one is going to ride Hendo-Mili-Gini to the finish line..That is why Keita and Fabinho were bought to make the MF count.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:02 pm

electrum » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:16 pm wrote:Lallana in Pyjamas- that's exactly the point - this midfield got us into the top 4 - on the last day of the season,

Yeah I agree
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:07 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:11 pm wrote:The midfield is a big worry going forward, how many weeks is it until the January window opens?

Panic stations already Yakka!?

The forward line, the defence and attacking full backs seem to have the right balance etc. But like you said the problem is the midfield. It just doesn't look right in terms of balance and quality
Even Keita hasn't exactly "bossed" it so far. Something is lacking in there.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:44 pm

I don't want to sound negative considering we haven't won the first 4 games in a season for such a long time, but we don't seem to be improving. Other than West Ham, we've barely looked like we've deserved to win. You can forgive that for early season reasons, but we don't appear to be getting better. We seem a little off, and I haven't been impressed with the way Klopp has used the subs. We lose control of games and he waits 20-30 minutes before making a change, and this is when we finally have subs that can make an impact.

We need to clean it up, because when we finally play a club that's at a higher level we won't stand a chance.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:07 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:11 pm wrote:The midfield is a big worry going forward, how many weeks is it until the January window opens?

The forward line, the defence and attacking full backs seem to have the right balance etc. But like you said the problem is the midfield. It just doesn't look right in terms of balance and quality

It's just disappointing to see practically the same midfield as last year starting games when everyone thought we'd significantly upgraded in the summer. I'm dreading seeing the 3 stooges up against the likes of Veratti and Rabiot after the international break, anyone with a bit of genuine quality and our MF is out of their depth.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:37 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:54 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:07 pm wrote:

It's just disappointing to see practically the same midfield as last year starting games when everyone thought we'd significantly upgraded in the summer. I'm dreading seeing the 3 stooges up against the likes of Veratti and Rabiot after the international break, anyone with a bit of genuine quality and our MF is out of their depth.

Fabinho is fit, and I'm surprised Jurgen is not embedding him into our squad earlier. He's the new Patrick Vieira, and I'm stunned he hasn't featured in the first four games. He looks good, his YouTube highlights of what this guy can do is epic, but klopps picking Milner and Hendo etc ahead of this guy. I'm bemused. But he's getting the same treatment as Oxlaide-Chamberlain got, subs bench etc.

I would love to see lining up each game..

Fabinho. Keita Shaqiri

Milner, Hendo offer fck all going forward. We learned this the past two seasons and there is no logic in continually choosing them.

I think Klopp is scared of taking risks or trying new approaches etc
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 am

only me » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:53 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 pm wrote:

come on mate no one is writing anyone off but no one is going to ride Hendo-Mili-Gini to the finish line..That is why Keita and Fabinho were bought to make the MF count.

Really ?

That yc bloke already has us losing the stronger game because of the midfield - just read the old mans posts. You would think we have lost the first four games
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:56 am

Ghost of Shankly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:37 pm wrote:

Fabinho is fit, and I'm surprised Jurgen is not embedding him into our squad earlier. He's the new Patrick Vieira, and I'm stunned he hasn't featured in the first four games. He looks good, his YouTube highlights of what this guy can do is epic, but klopps picking Milner and Hendo etc ahead of this guy. I'm bemused. But he's getting the same treatment as Oxlaide-Chamberlain got, subs bench etc.

Fabinho. Keita Shaqiri

Milner, Hendo offer fck all going forward. We learned this the past two seasons and there is no logic in continually choosing them.

1. Fabinho not playing isnt about his fitness - the same with both Robertson and Ox , i guess you were posting the same things last season or do you trust Klopps judgement in regards when he believes players are ready to play ? He isnt the new "Patrick Viera" - nonsense comment as is the "looking good on You Tube". You are bemused because you dont understand - Klopp has explained whats going on. I have no doubt that if Fabinho came into the team and struggled people like you would be the first to critisize him. Klopp can see the player each day and will make the judgement.

2. Milner , Henderson - do offer a lot going forward - they did yesterday and will continue to do so - believe MIlner is now 3rd all time assists in the Prem ? The manager sees the logic and plenty other people see the loginc - again you cant because as is the common mistake its a lack of understanding of what the manager wants from the players picked - i suspect people are expecting gung ho approaches from all the players - but thats just not realistic and leaves the team open. Each team needs players to do the dirty unflattering boring work - right now Klopp has the guys in the middle do that with the 3 guys up top plus the full backs plus the high CM do the gung ho stuff, its high energy and a lot of covering and tracking.

3. Shaqiri wont be playing in midfield - he will replace one of the front three as you could see yesterday , whilst he is very talented and skillful on the ball he lacks the tactical discipline to play within that midfield three that Klopp employs.
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:14 am

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:56 am wrote:

Fabinho. Keita Shaqiri

1. Fabinho not playing isnt about his fitness - the same with both Robertson and Ox , i guess you were posting the same things last season or do you trust Klopps judgement in regards when he believes players are ready to play ? He isnt the new "Patrick Viera" - nonsense comment as is the "looking good on You Tube". You are bemused because you dont understand - Klopp has explained whats going on. I have no doubt that if Fabinho came into the team and struggled people like you would be the first to critisize him. Klopp can see the player each day and will make the judgement.

2. Milner , Henderson - do offer a lot going forward - they did yesterday and will continue to do so - believe MIlner is now 3rd all time assists in the Prem ? The manager sees the logic and plenty other people see the loginc - again you cant because as is the common mistake its a lack of understanding of what the manager wants from the players picked - i suspect people are expecting gung ho approaches from all the players - but thats just not realistic and leaves the team open. Each team needs players to do the dirty unflattering boring work - right now Klopp has the guys in the middle do that with the 3 guys up top plus the full backs plus the high CM do the gung ho stuff, its high energy and a lot of covering and tracking.

3. Shaqiri wont be playing in midfield - he will replace one of the front three as you could see yesterday , whilst he is very talented and skillful on the ball he lacks the tactical discipline to play within that midfield three that Klopp employs.

sorry mate but the Robbo example is exactly why Klopp is criticized..He preferred fcking Moreno when it was obvious to the whole world and his wife that Robbo was miles ahead of him..it only took a moreno injury to get Andy in...

I love klopp to death but some of his methods tactics aren't paying off.. sorry..We could have been much better and quicker if he acted much sooner on signings.. subs..introduction..Process is way to sacred for him.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:31 am

only me » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:14 am wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:56 am wrote:

Fabinho. Keita Shaqiri

sorry mate but the Robbo example is exactly why Klopp is criticized..He preferred fcking Moreno when it was obvious to the whole world and his wife that Robbo was miles ahead of him..it only took a moreno injury to get Andy in...

I love klopp to death but some of his methods tactics aren't paying off.. sorry..We could have been much better and quicker if he acted much sooner on signings.. subs..introduction..Process is way to sacred for him.

Really ?- how did you  know when he was when he had only played one game and Moreno actually had a decent start until i think he gave away a pen then got injured then Robertson came in and did well

There was a great interview when Robertson himself said Klopp had it spot in because he was struggling at the club early doors and needed time to get used to it all - but then what does the player himself know.

Im not sure what you mean by his tactics arent paying off ? We have improved every year he has been at the club - first season a couple of finals , then onto regular CL footy and now a strong squad with ambitions to challenge - maybe people expect things too quickly when it was clear that Klopp needed to do a major rebuild after the horrors of Woy and then Rodgers

But he has us at this stage now . clearly has us at a stage where we are prob our strongest for well maybe going back to 91- The squad looks strong , we have back up throughout the squad and we now have a mental steel to battle.
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games