Your seasons best

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Following on from John Craigs most improved player thread this is more of a squad based one

Best Defender

Best Midfielder

Best Forward

Best Newcomer

Best Young Player (under 22)

Player of the Season

Goal of the Season

Match of the Season
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kalos » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Best Defender JC

Best Midfielder - Alonso

Best Forward - No prizes !

Best Newcomer- Insua

Best Young Player (under 22) Insua

Player of the Season - Gerard

Goal of the Season - Torres v Blackburn

Match of the Season - Chelsea away
kalos

Postby SundanceKid » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:12 pm

Best Defender: Carra

Best Midfielder: Stevie.

Best Forward: Torres

Best Newcomer: Reira

Best Young Player (under 22): Insua

Player of the Season: Kuyt

Goal of the Season: Torres vs United. If we had to say anything to United, that was it.

Match of the Season: 4-1 at Trafford
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby SundanceKid » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:14 pm

kalos wrote:Best Newcomer- Insua

Insua's been here since 07
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby kalos » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Insua has only featured regularly in the first team squad this season? How can you judge him on last season?
kalos

Postby lakes10 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Best Defender: Carra

Best Midfielder: Gerard

Best Forward: Torres

Best Newcomer: Reira (i got him so wrong and slaged him off whwn he come to the club)

Best Young Player :Insua, has come on very well

Player of the Season: Gerard

Goal of the Season: Torres vs man u

Match of the Season: 4-1 at Trafford
Last edited by lakes10 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Sorry mate, I hate these types of threads asking a million questions.  Some of them would be interesting to discuss, but when you group all the questions together in one thread it ruins the discussion I think.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Nobody said you cant get into Bigmick ( :D ) style posts about this if you wish. Name each player for the category and state your reasons why. It wont be long before there is a row...
Last edited by Dundalk on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Id agree with most of the above but best goal for me is Stevies against Marseille. Absolute stonker of a shot and the ball was behind him too.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Dundalk wrote:Nobody said you cant get into Bigmick ( :D ) style posts about this if you wish. Name each player for the category and state your reasons why. It wont be long before there is a row...

Fuc'king right it wont ya paddy kunt!! :laugh:

Defender..Carra

Midfielder...Xabi

Forward...Torres

Newcomer...Riera

Young...Insua

Player of the season..Xabi

Goal of the season...Been too many belters to pick from

Match..beating UTD 4-1 in their own back yard!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:50 pm

Dundalk wrote:Following on from John Craigs most improved player thread this is more of a squad based one

Best Defender - Carra - generally solid and a real leader. Not his best season and closely followed by Arbeloa whose attacking play and interplay with Kuyt has been superb this season.

Best Midfielder - Stevie - he's a genius. Again not his best season, he's been unfit for significant parts and a lot of his games around Christmas Im pretty sure he was only partially fit. BUT when he hits top form he's the second best player in the world next to Lionel Messi. I love watching Stevie when he's in form - it's just pure genius.

Best Forward - Torres. I haven't read anyone elses yet but Im sure this will be unanimous.

Best Newcomer - Insua - again I'm sure most will go for him. Very mature, tough and professional he looks like he could become are first choice left back next season.

Best Young Player (under 22) - Insua. I'm looking forward to seeing David Ngog mature a bit. He's still a gangly kid but he's shown flashes of what he could become.

Player of the Season - Dirk Kuyt. Controversial this one and I'm sure Xabi will get most votes. I love Kuytie. Love him. He is the consumate professional. He works his :censored: off and has an amazing engine but he's so much more than that. Since the second half of last season his link up play and understanding with Torres and Gerrard has been first rate. He's constantly making runs to take defenders out of position and create space for others. He's scored numerous critical goals this season starting with his extra time contribution against Standard Liege. He wins more possession than any other attacking player I've ever seen either with a well timed tackle or through not letting them settle on the ball. This pressing game has been key to Liverpools success and Kuyt and Mascherano do it best.

You could strongly argue for Xabi - his control of the midfield and distribution this season have been sublime.

Goal of the Season - Robbie Keane at the Emirates. A sweet natural strike. He buried it. Torres against Blackburn was a cracker as well.

Match of the Season - United at Anfield. Personal bias again as I was sat in the Kop. It was the first marker of the season - we beat the hoodoo thats been going on for a few seasons now. Tevez scored early and you could feel the crowd resigning themselves to another humiliating defeat. Then we began to play and in all honesty we played them off the park. When we won 2-1 everyone believed. It was a beautiful day and the wife and I took ages walking home - stopping for a few pints (only me) along the way. Everyone we met was in great form.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Good to see Kuyty getting the recognition he deserves. Just waiting for Stu now......... :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Fu.ck it then...

Defender - Aurelio

Midfielder - Alonso

Forward - Torres

Newcomer - Riera

Young player - Insua

Player of the season - Gerrard

Goal of season - Torres v Blackburn, with Gerrard's half volley v Madrid a close second.

Match of season - 4-1 v scum at OT

Probably my only controversial one there is Aurelio for best defender.  I think Carra's on the slide, said it manys a time, and he hasn't had a great season.  Skrtel's been dodgy of late, Agger's not had a decent run in the side, so for me it's between Arbeloa and Aurelio who have both pushed on this season, improved their game and for once given us some real width to our game.  Aurelio's been a revelation imo and apart from a few dodgy ones against Arsenal recently has been really consistent.  Finally showing us some form on the set pieces also.  Not just goals, but his delivery from corners and free kicks has added a new dimension to our play.  I've slated him relentlessly in the past, but he deserves the plaudits after a great season.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, there is a case to be made for...

Best forward: Steven Gerrard

20 goals, 8 assists and countless moments of pure quality and desire so far in another excellent season for the skipper so he's obviously going to figure somewhere in everyone's list.  But is he a midfielder these days?  Conventional wisdom probably still says yes but is that just because we've grown accustomed to seeing him as the best midfielder in the world.  Is there not a possibility that he's played more as a second striker for most of the season?  Just playing devil's advocate... :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, there is a case to be made for...

Best forward: Steven Gerrard

20 goals, 8 assists and countless moments of pure quality and desire so far in another excellent season for the skipper so he's obviously going to figure somewhere in everyone's list.  But is he a midfielder these days?  Conventional wisdom probably still says yes but is that just because we've grown accustomed to seeing him as the best midfielder in the world.  Is there not a possibility that he's played more as a second striker for most of the season?  Just playing devil's advocate... :D

Fair shout.  He's not a midfielder these days.  In a lot of games he hasn't even been second striker, he's been right up alongside Torres.  A bit like the myth that Ronaldo was a 'winger' last season when he scored 40 goals (basically played through the middle and had a free role), it's a myth this season that Gerrard's played as a midfielder.

...which is why I gave Xabi best midfielder, Gerrard best player and Torres best forward - you have to have your top three players amongst the awards!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion