Your seasons best

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:16 pm

john craig wrote:...which is why I gave Xabi best midfielder, Gerrard best player and Torres best forward - you have to have your top three players amongst the awards!

I like it, John.  :nod   I also like your logic on selecting Aurelio.  Carragher has been slightly below his high standards this season so it seems a little off to select him.  On the other hand, a slightly off-colour Carra is still a hell of a defender and, with Aurelio missing a fair chunk of the first half of the season to injury/rotation, I think there's still a case to be made for Jamie.  But, I think Aurelio deserves some acknowledgement for his vastly improved form this season.  He's looked the part going forward and on set pieces (finally) and he was majesterial against both Robben and Ronaldo.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Madmax » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:17 pm

Best Defender- carra

Best Midfielder- Alonso

Best Forward - torres (our only forward)

Best Newcomer- riera

Best Young Player (under 22) - insua

Player of the Season- Alonso

Goal of the Season- torres v blackburn... brill goal

Match of the Season-1-4 spanking mannure
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:29 pm

As much as Stevie has contributed to the team this season, I still put Kuyt up for best player this season. He's gotten so much stick from the supporters and never stopped till the final whistle. I really do wish we keep him for a long time. He's a good representative for Liverpool FC, he never gives up!   :nod
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby fivecups » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:00 am

Bad Bob wrote:Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, there is a case to be made for...

Best forward: Steven Gerrard

20 goals, 8 assists and countless moments of pure quality and desire so far in another excellent season for the skipper so he's obviously going to figure somewhere in everyone's list.  But is he a midfielder these days?  Conventional wisdom probably still says yes but is that just because we've grown accustomed to seeing him as the best midfielder in the world.  Is there not a possibility that he's played more as a second striker for most of the season?  Just playing devil's advocate... :D

Possibly when we play a 4-2-3-1 which we have for much of the season. I'm not sure there's a big difference between a striking midfielder and a second striker (like Robbie Keane for example). However there have been quite a few matches this season (maybe 8-10) where Gerrard's played the box to box role behind Torres and Keane/Kuyt in a more standard 4-4-2 so I think the term striking midfielder is more apt.

He said himself once that he's not a striker he's a midfielder.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:02 am

Best Defender- Aurelio - No real standouts this season though

Best Midfielder- Alonso

Best Forward - Gerrard - Freakish

Best Newcomer- Riera - In a canter, next best would be N'gog a Looonnnggg way back.

Best Young Player (under 22) - Insua - He's a gem

Player of the Season- Alonso - Mr consistent

Goal of the Season- Torres v Blackburn - One of the top goals in the EPL for the season

Match of the Season- 4-0 Madrid -  Pure domination and just great play all round
DanAn

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:59 am

fivecups wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, there is a case to be made for...

Best forward: Steven Gerrard

20 goals, 8 assists and countless moments of pure quality and desire so far in another excellent season for the skipper so he's obviously going to figure somewhere in everyone's list.  But is he a midfielder these days?  Conventional wisdom probably still says yes but is that just because we've grown accustomed to seeing him as the best midfielder in the world.  Is there not a possibility that he's played more as a second striker for most of the season?  Just playing devil's advocate... :D

Possibly when we play a 4-2-3-1 which we have for much of the season. I'm not sure there's a big difference between a striking midfielder and a second striker (like Robbie Keane for example). However there have been quite a few matches this season (maybe 8-10) where Gerrard's played the box to box role behind Torres and Keane/Kuyt in a more standard 4-4-2 so I think the term striking midfielder is more apt.

He said himself once that he's not a striker he's a midfielder.

Fair point, mate, though the term "striking midfielder" calls to mind a picket line thrown across the centre of the pitch and a few lads marching about with placards in hand while the forwards and defenders try to play through, around or over them. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 am

Defender - Reina

Midfield - Alonso

Forward - Torres

Signing - Reira

Young player - Insua

Player of the season - Gerrard

Goal - Agger vs. Blackburn

Match -  Madrid at home
JoeTerp

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:21 am

Hyypia - Defender
Gerrard - Midfielder
Torres - Forward
Riera - Newcomer
Insua - Youngster
Gerrard - Player of the season and really should have been given the PFA this year. Giggs was awarded the prize based on memory. NOT this season's performance
Torres vs Blackburn - Goal of the season
4-1 vs the mancs
ConnO'var

Postby GYBS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 am

Best Defender- Aurelio

Best Midfielder-Xabi

Best Forward-Kuyt

Best Newcomer- Only Reria can be best newcomer

Best Young Player (under 22) - Insua

Player of the Season- Gerrard

Goal of the Season- Torres vs Blackburn

Match of the Season- 4-1 Mancs
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby macaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:54 am

Best Defender - Dossena

Best Midfielder - Riera

Best Forward - Kuyt

Best Newcomer- Degen

Best Young Player (under 22) Insua

Player of the Season - Kuyt

Goal of the Season - Torres v Blackburn

Match of the Season - Hull at Anfield
macaroon

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:55 am

Match of the Season - I'm clinging on by the short and curlies here...but I'm hoping match of the seasn will be the last game @ home vs. Spurs when we clinch the league.....please, please, please, please "make it so, Number One".
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:33 am

Dundalk wrote:Following on from John Craigs most improved player thread this is more of a squad based one

Best Defender

Best Midfielder

Best Forward

Best Newcomer

Best Young Player (under 22)

Player of the Season

Goal of the Season

Match of the Season

Best defender has been Aurelio for me. Always new he had the talent. He just never got a decent run of games as he couldn't stay fit for more than five minutes.

Best midfielder has to be Alonso. Back to his best this season for me and the fact he wasn't on the shortlist for PFA player of the year was a joke. And to think he nearly left last summer.

Best forward has been Gerrard. Enough said. Torres would have pushed him close had he not been injured for halfd the season as his goals per games ratio when he's fit is scary.

Best newcomer is Riera as he's given the side a better balance. Very talented guy on his day and started like a house on fire. Just needs to be a bit more consistent.

Best young player is Insua. Very excited by this lad and what he could achieve for the club.

Best goal for me is a difficult one. Either Torres vs Blackburn or Gerrard vs Marseille away. Both superb technique.

Match of the season has to be Madrid at home. It was the best I've seen us play for years and it turned our season. We've been scoring goals for fun ever since.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SundanceKid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:16 am

macaroon wrote:Best Defender - Dossena

Best Midfielder - Riera

Best Forward - Kuyt

Best Newcomer- Degen

Best Young Player (under 22) Insua

Player of the Season - Kuyt

Goal of the Season - Torres v Blackburn

Match of the Season - Hull at Anfield

Why Degen?
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:01 am

best defender - hyypia, in the games that he has played he has shown that he is absolutely imperious. if we can find a special drug to stop or reverse the ageing process we're sorted. special mention for aurelio whoo is really starting to offer something.

best midfielder - alonso, back to form and majestic.

best forward - um... er... torres?

best newcomer - riera, the only real option. he's definitely brought something to the team but frustratingly not as much as his first few games seemed to promise. really hoping he can improve a little, at least with his consistency, next season.

best young player - i just about go for insua as he's put in some good performances and is a fairly exciting attacking left back. a big shout for little jay spearing as well who has shown a lot of promise in the few times we've seen him.

player of the season - this is where i have to put dirk kuyt. i think he has really grown into his role this season, he's found a decent first touch, discovered the incisive forward pass, chipped in some important goals, and as ever has not stopped running since last august. he has been vital to our good form this season.

goal of the season - i really enjoyed riera's route one net breaker against villa so it gets my vote. very honourable mentions to torres v blackburn and gerrard's volley against real madrid.

match of the season - how can anything be better than beating the mancs at old trafford? especially with 4 goals and making half their defence look like amateurs. its a long long time, may 25th 2005 probably, since a match has left me grinning from ear to ear for days afterwards.

there is no gerrard in my picks, as i feel the others i've mentioned are more deserving - so i'm going to invent a new category.

best steven gerrard - for me this has to be steven gerrard, one of the very best footballers anywhere on the planet right now and the essential inspirational engine to this football club. he's put in some amazing performances this season but its what we expect of him now. he has raised the bar so high for himself that a man of the match peformance is pretty much run of the mill.

for me he needs to work on two elements of his game. it frustrated the hell out of me to see him buying so many free kicks - we all know he goes to ground a little too easy at times. he doesn't need to and all it does is give the haters something to get their teeth into. he also needs to frown a little less.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:04 am

Defender - Aurelio

Midfield - Gerard

Forward - Torres

Signing - Reira

Young player - Insua

Player of the season - Kuyt

Goal - Torres vs. Blackburn